ScottCM

How far out from your first marathon should one start stressing if you have not been able to start training because of injury and have been off for over a month?

Like soweto is 100 days and i have been off for 40 days and counting, so say at 80 days out with 60 days off at what ratio would i need to consider postponing my first marathon to another event?

80/60, 70/70 , 60/80, 50/90, 40/100 ???

It all depends on what distance you have run before getting injured (Fitness pre injury). I would heal property and slowly getting into 10km mid week runs and building up. When you feeling strong again, do 10km back to back runs during the week and a few 21-30km runs on alternative weekend. ''They'' say that it is better to do many back to back shorter runs than less longer runs... 

Personally speaking, the biggest challenge for me (And most people) is 32km onwards in a marathon....

Edited by Gringo111

• Replies 17.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you guys and gals take when you can feel a cold/flu coming on ? So many people have been sick here at work and i can feel now i have caught it. Any remedies ?

How far out from your first marathon should one start stressing if you have not been able to start training because of injury and have been off for over a month?

Like soweto is 100 days and i have been off for 40 days and counting, so say at 80 days out with 60 days off at what ratio would i need to consider postponing my first marathon to another event?

80/60, 70/70 , 60/80, 50/90, 40/100 ???

You will need between 10-14 days taper (not stop training but rather short sharp distances) Then you need to peak for two weeks (Between 50 and 85 km each week) and then you will need to build from your base at 10% increments per week.  So it is not to much when you were injured but rather what is your base km per week.  You can maybe peak lower say 45km a week.  But I think to be safe if you are injured between 4-6 weeks (28-36 days) prior to a BIG race or LONG race, you should not plan to race.

Edited by Paddaman

What do you guys and gals take when you can feel a cold/flu coming on ? So many people have been sick here at work and i can feel now i have caught it. Any remedies ?

Echinaforce Echinacea drops flat out plus Natura Combin Assist tissue salts (coughs and colds combin).

If that doesn't work, which it does 9/10 times, then Vicks medinite (over the counter) at night.

Hot toddy's. They don't really speed up the recuperation but, hey, whisky.

Thanks guys , i plan on getting a lot of sleep this weekend . There goes my plan for a nice chilled long run on Saturday.

Those Hoka's are fugly, damn! Asics also dont have much of a design team...

Maybe not the prettiest, but I've seen worse... What I do like about the Hoka's is the price. Asucks, I mean Asics, creeping up towards R3k now. I'm using the NB Zante which is similary priced, so maybe it is time try something different.

Maybe not the prettiest, but I've seen worse... What I do like about the Hoka's is the price. Asucks, I mean Asics, creeping up towards R3k now. I'm using the NB Zante which is similary priced, so maybe it is time try something different.

I run with Nike Pegasus 33's - very happy with them. Also at R 2000 they a lot cheaper than the competition.

Just thinking about it, I'm doing Run the Berg later this year... two stages, 25km's a day.

Had planned to just use my older Asics (they've still got some miles left in them), but should I be looking at trail specific shoes though?

Really don't need/want to add to my shoe budget unnecessarily...

Just thinking about it, I'm doing Run the Berg later this year... two stages, 25km's a day.

Had planned to just use my older Asics (they've still got some miles left in them), but should I be looking at trail specific shoes though?

I think a trail shoe would be worth it. You risk rolling your ankles with a road shoe and the whole run will just be a little more pleasant. There are still some cheap Adidas Kanadias going on Cape Union Mart online and Adidas.co.za

It is still on my bucket list together with Golden Gate Challenge. I really enjoy these trail stage races.

I run with Nike Pegasus 33's - very happy with them. Also at R 2000 they a lot cheaper than the competition.

With the Pegasus 34 that has come out now you can pick up the 33's for a bargain. I paid R969 for a pair at the Nike store at East Rand Mall. They were the lumo yellow ones but I quite like them.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk