ScottCM

You also likely don't cramp much because you train twice a day...

PS: Gross tip of the day, if you're feeling like cramping and you don't have any rehidrat/tablets etc - you can always just lick your arm  :blush:

It’s easier to wipe your brow and then lick your fingers, helps if you have a nice tasting sun block on

I sweat a lot and never add salt or very very rarely take salt supplements (if you drink modern sports drinks they have enough) and have only cramped once during an event.

At risk of sounding like a stuck record..... most cramping is due to over exertion

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

During the run it was only water and goo .

I will admit i did not run 42 like all the beasts but only 21

Clever man

And if I may ask.... what time did u do?

Pre race meal depends on the distance for me

White toasted snackwich with peanut butter and honey for up to 2 hrs

OR

Muesli (unsweetened non roasted type) with protein powder, water and a small probiotic all mixed together for longer than 2 hrs

1h48:07

really starting to like running and thinking of putting together a proper schedule as apposed to running randomly

Well done!

Never thought of u as a runner, maybe some xterra on the horizon?

Don’t get caught up in the comrades mania.... that’s a road to pain, suffering and something weird called green numbers by which time you are literally biltong...

Pre race meal depends on the distance for me

White toasted snackwich with peanut butter and honey for up to 2 hrs

OR

Muesli (unsweetened non roasted type) with protein powder, water and a small probiotic all mixed together for longer than 2 hrs

What do you use the Probiotic for?

Well done!

Never thought of u as a runner, maybe some xterra on the horizon?

Don’t get caught up in the comrades mania.... that’s a road to pain, suffering and something weird called green numbers by which time you are literally biltong...

Only started running so i could get from the finish of the cycle in the half ironman in June this year to the finish line, swimming and cycling was never a problem.

Its the Mrs fault who runs and introduced me .

there are a bunch of comrades nutters i have met , not my thing that 

What do you use the Probiotic for?

I stopped having milk with my cereal over 20 yrs ago as I found it was giving me excema and switched to water only or occasionally fruit juice.... I use the probiotic to give me a milk flavor.... and apparently it’s good for your tummy.

Basically I have one every day so I just stick to that on race day so as not to change the tummy routine

Only started running so i could get from the finish of the cycle in the half ironman in June this year to the finish line, swimming and cycling was never a problem.

1/2 IM nice

Never say never.... maybe just once and then step away

Been running longer than cycling but never got around to comrades

Actually I’d love to run comrades just once but my feet won’t let me anymore

Do it while u can

I stopped having milk with my cereal over 20 yrs ago as I found it was giving me excema and switched to water only or occasionally fruit juice.... I use the probiotic to give me a milk flavor.... and apparently it’s good for your tummy.

Basically I have one every day so I just stick to that on race day so as not to change the tummy routine

I only ask because I often battle with my stomach on really long runs so was wondering if that was the reason you were using it. It's not too bad during speed sessions but geez it can get bad on the longer, slower efforts. I've long had a sneaking suspicion that milk could be to blame (also battle with eczema now and then) but I love the stuff too much.

Hahahaha this was me 3 years ago. 

I did full IM and comrades this year - sorry Iron, its coming to get you too!  :ph34r:

Hahahaha this was me 3 years ago. 

I did full IM and comrades this year - sorry Iron, its coming to get you too!  :ph34r:

i will resist , i will resist , i will ................. oh look entries are open.

seriously though respect on doing those,   its the time to train and balance life that i think about , at the moment its  fun and like to keep it that way.

Upon reflection, Kaapsehoop was spectacular but having had two days of shuffling, I far prefer an undulating marathon. Thank the flying spaghetti monster it's my end of season break for the rest of the month.

Tell me about it. I'm only just able to walk now and its more of a shuffle. Sunday and Monday were terrible.

Makes me nervous for Comrades next year.

I only ask because I often battle with my stomach on really long runs so was wondering if that was the reason you were using it. It's not too bad during speed sessions but geez it can get bad on the longer, slower efforts. I've long had a sneaking suspicion that milk could be to blame (also battle with eczema now and then) but I love the stuff too much.

In what way do u battle?

Tell me about it. I'm only just able to walk now and its more of a shuffle. Sunday and Monday were terrible.

Makes me nervous for Comrades next year.

Agreed. The day after Comrades this year I was walking around absolutely fine, some stiffness but no pain. After Kaapsehoop I still can't manage the stairs without stopping on each one.

I think I'm going to have to rent some property on the Westcliff Stairs in preparation for next year's Comrades.

Interesting all this talk of IM and 70.3... since I just made contact with a potential swimming coach this morning. I run a bit and I ride a bit. I swim like a rock. 

Just decided stuff it, and entered for the CT duathlon, with option to go to tri if I can swim by then. But actually hoping to do the XTerra the weekend thereafter... Optimism rules!  :whistling:  :eek: