ScottCM

Must say I haven't been feeling great about my running of late and was secretly (or maybe not so secretly) dreading the Tough One in the build up. Been a stress filled few weeks and with very little in the way of training - I just didn't see it being a fun day out. It's one of the few Gauteng classics I haven't done yet though, so it was kinda nice I guess to finally make it to the start line with my wife. 

I started pretty slowly, having heard the horror stories about the route I just braced for the worst and went in with a survivor mentality. One thing I did remember pretty quickly though is that I quite enjoy the climbs... despite my hefty frame. Despite the never-ending tiredness that had beset my legs ever since Kaapsehoop, I actually felt pretty good out there and slowly upped the ante as we went along. Weather was great, legs felt good and the kays ticked away nicely. They sure did manage to track down every hill in Jozi though... it just never ended.

Got to half way feeling good, legs still perfect and even toyed with trying for a sub3 (despite the hefty negative split required) - I mean, surely the second half would be easier! Waterpoints were good, drinks were cold, nutrition felt solid, just Rehidrats required so far... I kept up a solid pace and ticked off one hill after another. Okay, so maybe the second half doesn't have to be any easier! Found and passed some club mates and somehow still felt great, even as I watched any idea of a sub 3 disappear as the route lined up yet another monster climb... I got to the finish in 3:09, quite pleased at keeping sub 6min pace over that route and quite relieved to have survived my poor build up to the race.

We sat in the beer tent til well in the afternoon, ate some great prego's and cheered in runners until well after midday  :eek:  It's a very lekker event and you can see why it's an institution in SA running circles - the name is incredibly apt too, thanks goodness it's just 32kms.

On a side note the couple that organise it, have been doing so together for 40yrs... crazy stuff.

Only oversight I could tell was they could have done with more loo's at the start

Well done to everyone that ran, it's a solid little tester!

I'll be back next year, hopefully for that sub 3

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Must say I haven't been feeling great about my running of late and was secretly (or maybe not so secretly) dreading the Tough One in the build up. Been a stress filled few weeks and with very little in the way of training - I just didn't see it being a fun day out. It's one of the few Gauteng classics I haven't done yet though, so it was kinda nice I guess to finally make it to the start line with my wife. 

I started pretty slowly, having heard the horror stories about the route I just braced for the worst and went in with a survivor mentality. One thing I did remember pretty quickly though is that I quite enjoy the climbs... despite my hefty frame. Despite the never-ending tiredness that had beset my legs ever since Kaapsehoop, I actually felt pretty good out there and slowly upped the ante as we went along. Weather was great, legs felt good and the kays ticked away nicely. They sure did manage to track down every hill in Jozi though... it just never ended.

Got to half way feeling good, legs still perfect and even toyed with trying for a sub3 (despite the hefty negative split required) - I mean, surely the second half would be easier! Waterpoints were good, drinks were cold, nutrition felt solid, just Rehidrats required so far... I kept up a solid pace and ticked off one hill after another. Okay, so maybe the second half doesn't have to be any easier! Found and passed some club mates and somehow still felt great, even as I watched any idea of a sub 3 disappear as the route lined up yet another monster climb... I got to the finish in 3:09, quite pleased at keeping sub 6min pace over that route and quite relieved to have survived my poor build up to the race.

We sat in the beer tent til well in the afternoon, ate some great prego's and cheered in runners until well after midday  :eek:  It's a very lekker event and you can see why it's an institution in SA running circles - the name is incredibly apt too, thanks goodness it's just 32kms.

On a side note the couple that organise it, have been doing so together for 40yrs... crazy stuff.

Only oversight I could tell was they could have done with more loo's at the start

Well done to everyone that ran, it's a solid little tester!

I'll be back next year, hopefully for that sub 3

I already told you where to park. Next year I will tell you where to find the toilets that are not so busy (and also not temporary).....  :whistling:

Ran my first RAC tough one yesterday. Damn, some serious hills out that way and hurt the last few km's - definitely equivalent to your average marathon effort. Ran a medium paced race and finished in 3H14. Was well organised and thoroughly enjoyed it. Plenty water points. Good race to put in the memory bank for Comrades next year.

Well done to all who finished it. 

Edited by Gringo111

Congratulations to everyone that finished Tough One! Especially if you received both medals.

Had my worst race by far. Started off slowly as I knew I was unprepared for what is coming. Everything went well up to 21km. Then the stomach cramps started and I had to pull off a couple of times. Thank goodness RAC had porta-potties on the route. 

I limped home in my worst time ever of 3:44. After the race, I started throwing up and it continued for 24 hours. I went to the doctor and I have food poisoning. That explained my k@k race...

I am glad I survived as I felt like giving up 10 000 times in my head. 

Thank you for the Nola Park parking tip! Congrats to RAC for a well-organized race, my only gripe is that marshalls stopped the runners twice for cars to pass, and it wasn't a handful of runners.

Will be resting for a couple of days and then December base training begins!

I'm still feeling tired after Sunday's run. Also taking a bit a break before starting our build up towards our qualifier in January, which most probably will be the Akasia marathon. Followed by the Deloitte marathon end of February.

I did 2h36 on Sunday (and my wife 2h53), so the push will be on for next year to see if I can maybe get B seeding for Oceans.

Hi All

Did a quick search on this topic to see if anybody has recommendations for running commuter backpacks.

Not looking for something that can house a laptop, as it seems like it is not the best thing in the world to run with you laptop.

Anybody have any experience with this?  This it will have to be something more snug that a cycling commuter backpack.

Just looking for something to put the clothes in.

Hi All

Did a quick search on this topic to see if anybody has recommendations for running commuter backpacks.

Not looking for something that can house a laptop, as it seems like it is not the best thing in the world to run with you laptop.

Anybody have any experience with this?  This it will have to be something more snug that a cycling commuter backpack.

Just looking for something to put the clothes in.

To commute, I use an old Salomon backpack (Trail 20).  It has enough space for a change of clothes (but shoes may be a bit much if they are clunky and not soft dress shoes).

In racing I use ultraspire Zygos 2.0, as it is one of the few race vests that is both large enough for a shirt/ jacket, 2l waters, 2 bottles and has running pole straps.

To commute, I use an old Salomon backpack (Trail 20).  It has enough space for a change of clothes (but shoes may be a bit much if they are clunky and not soft dress shoes).

In racing I use ultraspire Zygos 2.0, as it is one of the few race vests that is both large enough for a shirt/ jacket, 2l waters, 2 bottles and has running pole straps.

Thanks for the feedback, that Salomon pack is on the shortlist, so good to hear it does the job.  Also looking at the Ospreys 20L, but need to go and fit it.

First Ascent also has a very nice 25L pack.

Seems like the smaller the packs get, the more expensive they are.

Tough One vs. Sunrise Monster:

• Tough One Total Ascent:  521m:
  • Sunrise Monster Total Ascent:  753m

(Measurements taken from TOPO / DEM maps based on Surveyor General maps, and not from elevation data in Strava etc)

post-57330-0-64085800-1511856131_thumb.jpg

Tough One vs. Sunrise Monster:

• Tough One Total Ascent:  521m:
  • Sunrise Monster Total Ascent:  753m

(Measurements taken from TOPO / DEM maps based on Surveyor General maps, and not from elevation data in Strava etc)

Lesotho Ultra Trail 50km - 2845m

:whistling:

Hey guys

I'm looking for an Om Die Dam ultra entry, does anybody know of someone that is looking at selling their entry?

There is que here already :-)

Of course there are many other events with huge climbs, but the intention of my post was to compare two races of similar distances in the Pta/Jhb area, call it friendly rivalry if you like :) 

(BTW LUT's real ascent seems to be 2438m?   ;)

Edited by Pieter-za