ScottCM

Guess its a rookie mistake, I didn't think it would be sold out already!!

Same here . Even after also missing out on the Soweto marathon

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Elevation databases

In the past, we consulted public elevation databases to determine the elevation at each point in the activity. The resolution of these databases varied based on location and we were not able to control for the many errors in these databases. We now have an elevation look-up service powered by data from the Strava community. Each activity that is uploaded from a device with a barometric altimeter is used to build the new Strava elevation basemap. "

Somehow I trust the Garmin TOPO SA mapset more, as I have seen many errors with the Strava basemap.  

PS : What did your ascent show before the elevation correction - IIRC the 920 XT uses a barometer?

If elevation statistics are your fetish, then the only way to get it correct is to muse over a 1:50 000 topographic paper map.  All the gadgets are guides.  The most accurate remains the surveyor general

If elevation statistics are your fetish, then the only way to get it correct is to muse over a 1:50 000 topographic paper map.  All the gadgets are guides.  The most accurate remains the surveyor general

It is :)

The SA Topo map is a digitised version (++) of exactly those Surveyor General (whatever the new entity is called) maps.

The DEM actually carry elevation data on each 'pixel'.

OK let's get back on track...

Edited by Pieter-za

It is :)

The SA Topo map is a digitised version (++) of exactly those Surveyor General (whatever the new entity is called) maps.

The DEM actually carry altitude info on each 'pixel'.

OK let's get back on track...

How/where can one access this?

USGS also has some ok DEM's if you want a free option, for smaller areas you can get the NGI aerial imagery from their offices for free and with the trig beacon and spot height data use photogrammetry to extract a pretty good DEM for areas too big for a Drone but too small for a plane. 

Bliksem!! After 3 weeks sun in the summer hemisphere how *** is it to now get motivated to go running in the cold, wet and darkness [emoji30]

Woe is me....

It's been not bad so far... But I'm not in the Alps!

It's been not bad so far... But I'm not in the Alps!

Well I’m not quite in the alps either although I do see lots of snow on the surrounding high ground and alps in the distance..... but geez it’s the cold (max temps a few degrees above zero) and darkness that’s so unmotivating...

Suppose I’ll get into once my recently tanned skin falls off due to the low humidity.....

????

Bliksem!! After 3 weeks sun in the summer hemisphere how *** is it to now get motivated to go running in the cold, wet and darkness ????

Woe is me....

I wont mind some cooler weather, Went running just after 4 this morning and it was hot! December is going to be sweltering.

I wont mind some cooler weather, Went running just after 4 this morning and it was hot! December is going to be sweltering.

Jaa I would also settle for some cool weather

????

The worst thing about running in the cold is your frozen balls ????.... Apologies to the ladies

That’s what happens when you run to fast

You might be dressing it wrong ☝️

Undies, short tights and then long tights should be enough to keep the tadpoles happily swimming....

That’s what happens when you run to fast

You might be dressing it wrong [emoji121]️

Undies, short tights and then long tights should be enough to keep the tadpoles happily swimming....

So just running in my good ol second skins is not gonna cut it... Looks like I'm gonna need to get some tight pants for running

So just running in my good ol second skins is not gonna cut it... Looks like I'm gonna need to get some tight pants for running

Soft woolly sock is optional ????

Just make sure you keep it in a separate drawer to your normal socks