ScottCM

I agree we don't put enough emphasis on rest. I blame Comrades and Strava.

We are so obsessed with kilometers per week that we will sacrifice a rest day just to add another 8/10/12km to our weekly total. ( and not to mention that leaderboard on Strava... :whistling: )

We are just insane human beings... I never thought I had an addictive nature, I guess I was wrong.

I manage to run more miles with 2 days of rest a week than I did with only 1 rest day. The benefits of running on tired legs are overrated ????

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hacc, I blame Strava only... Now they've gone and plonked in a 5x5 challenge in the week before my first duathlon. As I was running this morning I thought that this is going to be a really   :cursing:  (I found the censor button!) idea to continue with this. 

Excellent results, guys and girls! 

I'm currently following his "rather under trained programme"   :whistling:

I working on my masters degree in under training...  :ph34r:

Hopefully good for a light trot tomorrow

I get what Bruce is saying, I had a bigish December, 220km, but that was in prep for my Jan qualifier. In Jan I ended on 200km. Looking at that 8-10week window I will just maintain it and then steadily increase. As a Comrades novice I actually thought that you need a 6month block of high mileage. 8 weeks sounds so much easier.

The thing is all about conditioning.  Any increase in mileage must be done slowly and with a sensitive ear to how the body reacts.  More mileage requires more sleep and more supplements and possibly a reduction in "quality sessions" until the body has adapted to the new mileage.  If however, if it is for specific race, the boost in mileage can be reduced shortly prior (tapering) and after (recovery) the race, before a new cycle of adaption is attempted (periodisation).  The duration of any "peak" or maximum mileage should last for between two and four weeks, any less will be too little and any more will be in the zone of "diminished returns"

If you are racing (Flat out to win or PB) the rule of thumb is that you should "rest" for one week per km raced before you attempt another flat out race.  This in effect allows for one killer marathon or ultra a year.  However, if you are running within your ability, or just doing a tempo session/ qualifier, I believe that 1 day recovery per km ran/raced  may be more realistic (especially if you up your supplements and sleep lots). 

Edited by Paddaman

Bloody Suunto again has problems uploading our runs. Seriously thinking of switching to Garmin....

Bloody Suunto again has problems uploading our runs. Seriously thinking of switching to Garmin....

Since? Did you do the updates? Mine is 100%

The most convenient and easiest watch I used (in terms of logging) was the original Forerunner 305. All the data was stored on the watch in an accessible format. I used it in conjuction with SportTracks. So it was just a matter of plugging in the USB, open SportTracks an clicking Import. No websites. No wireless. No Strava. No facebook.

The most convenient and easiest watch I used (in terms of logging) was the original Forerunner 305. All the data was stored on the watch in an accessible format. I used it in conjuction with SportTracks. So it was just a matter of plugging in the USB, open SportTracks an clicking Import. No websites. No wireless. No Strava. No facebook.

SportTracks was the bomb

I did a quick search, and did not find anything.

Anybody here care to share if they run with headlamps and if so what do you use?