ScottCM

Ihave a question for you runners here. I have started running, no wait, jogging. I will not call it running for now. Doing 20min jogs at a comfortable pace 3-4times a week (+-2.5km). In my second week my knees hurt so bad I even feel it on the bike. Do I continue and press on through the pain till is subsides and get used to the running or do I rest for a week and start again. My goal is to do a 21km at the end of the year. At work they are sore when walking stairs and in general. I know they say take it easy but it feels the easy is too easy....dunno.

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you running with the correct shoes?

I don't know. Do I need to get a shoe fit done?

Its best to go to a running store and let them test your feet to see if you have neutral, over-pronating or under pronating feet. An then they can advise you on which correct shoes to buy.

Its best to go to a running store and let them test your feet to see if you have neutral, over-pronating or under pronating feet. An then they can advise you on which correct shoes to buy.

Yip, proper shoes and also make sure you are running slowly at first... 7 minutes + a kay until you get used to it. Your muscles will and should hurt a little, when the frame starts hurting though, dial things back else you are risking injury

Ihave a question for you runners here. I have started running, no wait, jogging. I will not call it running for now. Doing 20min jogs at a comfortable pace 3-4times a week (+-2.5km). In my second week my knees hurt so bad I even feel it on the bike. Do I continue and press on through the pain till is subsides and get used to the running or do I rest for a week and start again. My goal is to do a 21km at the end of the year. At work they are sore when walking stairs and in general. I know they say take it easy but it feels the easy is too easy....dunno.

also bear in mind that cycling is a non-loadbearing activity that gives you a powerful respiratory system and strong muscles with a limited range of motion. Running requires different muscles as well as impact-absorbing ability, and a much greater range of motion in hips, knees & ankles. Because your respiratory system is already developed you are able to push beyond what your musculature system can handle.

I think you are on the right track with short, frequent runs at whatever speed is comfortable (i.e. don't focus on getting faster or going further. rather try to run more often, but don't try run through the pain).

In addition:

• As suggested by others, get your footwear checked out by a reputable shoe-guy;
  • get off the hard surfaces and onto grass, trails, outside lanes of athletic track;
  • do some supplementary exercises that strengthen your running & balance muscles & their range of motion;
  • stretch regularly & use a foam roller.

hope this helps.

also bear in mind that cycling is a non-loadbearing activity that gives you a powerful respiratory system and strong muscles with a limited range of motion. Running requires different muscles as well as impact-absorbing ability, and a much greater range of motion in hips, knees & ankles. Because your respiratory system is already developed you are able to push beyond what your musculature system can handle.

I think you are on the right track with short, frequent runs at whatever speed is comfortable (i.e. don't focus on getting faster or going further. rather try to run more often, but don't try run through the pain).

In addition:

• As suggested by others, get your footwear checked out by a reputable shoe-guy;
  • get off the hard surfaces and onto grass, trails, outside lanes of athletic track;
  • do some supplementary exercises that strengthen your running & balance muscles & their range of motion;
  • stretch regularly & use a foam roller.

hope this helps.

Thank you, yes will take it slowly. I ll be patient. 

Fellow club member is looking to exchange his unworn M Comrades T for a L, even if it has been worn.

Tx 

All the Mizuno gear is smaller then anticipated.    We measured with their (final) sizing and even compared it to our other running shirts and still the race shirt as well as the extra top we purchased is in reality too small.    The top more so than the race shirt in my case.

Think it's Mizuno in general? Bought one of their long sleeve (Medium, having fitted it fortunately) tops at last year's Oceans expo and it is smaller than other brands' Small items.

If you go read on outside online, Walmsley ran eight 100mile (167km) training weeks in spring leading up to the race, him and the other camino cowboys spent a lot of time in the heat and running the grand canyon. He has worked for it this year...

Also big win for Hoka One One...

Is recovery taking longer than usual?

People got nothing better to do than analyse every single runner on the day??

At the end of the day, does it really affect you, did it impede you during your race??

Sometimes I wonder.......

Yeah it bugs me when people cheat. I work my butt of to get a B seeding and this chick just cheats get way into that pen.. Not ayoba.... Plus she's causing delays to all those behind her

Ferret and Stu, how many km's are you guys getting out of your Adidas Bostons? I know Stu is currently on the Nike Epic React,(that will be my second choice) I'm switching to Adidas Bostons 7 for a lighter racing shoe, and don't want to buy a new pair every month. :whistling:  :ph34r:

Was thinking of Using the Bostons for weekend long runs, races and speed sessions, and my Pegasus for my normal training runs during the week.