Motorcycles + Two-strokes + IOMTT talk

nathrix

Who else were at the Bikes1000 ? In July . May sound odd , but I am lusting after that White custom Yamaha 350? ? Magic frame/suspension , brakes , , expansion boxes , Brembos , .........and don't forget the Kurk Proppies on the exhausts. For me it was the Best on Show this year as well as last year .The Yellow one next to it was certainly not shabby

That's a thing of beauty, both bikes. That modified RD350 is mostly at the classic bike meeting on the first Sunday of every month in Germiston, always hear him screaming on his way to the meeting. Will look for some pics and post them.

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a thing of beauty, both bikes. That modified RD350 is mostly at the classic bike meeting on the first Sunday of every month in Germiston, always hear him screaming on his way to the meeting. Will look for some pics and post them.

I am glad to hear that it is used and enjoyed and not just a " trailer trophy ". I can't imagine how it is kept in a " freshly completed " show bike condition. Edited by Tromp

I am glad to hear that it is used and enjoyed and not just a " trailer trophy ". I can't imagine how it is kept in a " freshly completed " show bike condition.

Drooooooool!!! Don't know why I got Brembos on my mind. Appreciate the pics , but does not do the actual bikes justice. Will check them out again in 10 months time. At the back of my mind are also those Kriedlers? at the show. They used the beat our Yammie 50ies (and a Bridgestone ) like they were standing still . We maintained that they were in fact 80cc registered as 50s. And those Zundupp? 50s ! Edited by Tromp

I had a Suzuki RG200 Gamma, like the 125, but quicker! Hitting the powerband was honestly one of the best feelings I've felt till today! Used to leave 400 VFR's in my rear view mirror until 160-170 or so  :ph34r: And then I melted the piston.

All time favourite is still the Aprilia RS125. This thread is making me lis to spend some very hard earned savings!  :thumbdown:  :whistling:

I had a Suzuki RG200 Gamma, like the 125, but quicker! Hitting the powerband was honestly one of the best feelings I've felt till today! Used to leave 400 VFR's in my rear view mirror until 160-170 or so  :ph34r: And then I melted the piston.

All time favourite is still the Aprilia RS125. This thread is making me lis to spend some very hard earned savings!  :thumbdown:  :whistling:

Had the pleasure of in my youth riding a couple of Kawasaki KH triples, my donner, when that thing hit the powerband at approx 5000/6000 RPM it screamed like a banshee and promptly changed the earth`s rotation as the savage powerband hit.

Had the pleasure of in my youth riding a couple of Kawasaki KH triples, my donner, when that thing hit the powerband at approx 5000/6000 RPM it screamed like a banshee and promptly changed the earth`s rotation as the savage powerband hit.

Those things were notoriously quick ! 500/600cc ??

Those things were notoriously quick ! 500/600cc ??

Rode both the 250 and 500. The 500 was a monster, could run away from most 750s.

This is what it will look like when I'm done...

No you've made me all sad about the 1935 Triumph that my wife talked me out of buying... :(

post-4091-0-58992000-1440145968_thumb.jpg

not actual bike

Edited by nolipoli

I seem to have a habit of not buying amazing bikes. I was offered a 1985 RZ500 fully restored for R25K some years back and I didn't take it either. I am not sure what made it different from the RD500. Anyone?

post-4091-0-14876300-1440145798_thumb.jpg.

I seem to have a habit of not buying amazing bikes. I was offered a 1985 RZ500 fully restored for R25K some years back and I didn't take it either. I am not sure what made it different from the RD500. Anyone?

attachicon.gif1985-yamaha-rz500-1.jpg.

Nothing, except the name.

Some markets it was called the RZ500YPVS (as in SA) other countries it was called the RD500YPVS.

There was a special version in Japan with trellis frame, not the alu frame rest of the world got.

Now that is the holy grail of the 500 V4 Yammies.

Nothing, except the name.

Some markets it was called the RZ500YPVS (as in SA) other countries it was called the RD500YPVS.

There was a special version in Japan with trellis frame, not the alu frame rest of the world got.

Now that is the holy grail of the 500 V4 Yammies.

I wonder if i can still get hold of the guy...

I wonder if i can still get hold of the guy...

Try your best, you'll be a fool not to.

Only problem with those 500 V4's was that their crank bearings is a weak spot. They ran roller bearings, and it was a bit soft for the hammering it took. They loved seizing big ends as soon as they ran a bit lean.  Believe there was a kit out to convert to white metal bearings, but it was quite expensive and not easy to find.

Andyman, am I correct with this statement?

This is what Neels Van Niekerk (who used to race them) told me yonks ago.

edit=spelling correction.

Edited by Wannabe