Cyclist mugged below Rhodes Memorial

Nick

http://www.climbing.co.za/2015/09/cyclist-mugged-below-rhodes-memorial/

"A cyclist (who also happens to be a climber) was mugged and relieved of his bicycle below Rhodes Memorial.

Below is an account from the cyclist:

Around 15:30 on Sunday the 13th of September I rode across the M3 bridge at Mostert’s Mill, and went through the rotating gate intending to cycle up to Rhodes Memorial.

There was a group of hikers about 100m ahead of me walking up.  Two men ran through the group (hence I did not see them coming).  One man headed straight to me.  He had a gun, which he made visible to me as he ran towards me.  He ordered me to get off off the bike and his partner took it.  He then ordered me to take off my watch and helmet which he took.

He asked for my phone which was not on me.  He told me I has lying, and I told him to search me, which he did not do.  He then ran down towards the gate and I think they split up.

I walked down after him, he was adjusting the seat, and then shouted at me to run up the mountain in the opposite direction, which I did not do.  He then rode across the bridge and away.

Fortunately I was not hurt in any way.  I did not retaliate at any point, but I was tempted to shout to the hiking group (that were ahead of me) but not while he was holding a gun.

I reported the muggins to the police immediately at the Mowbray police station and have registered a case.

See below a photo from the internet of the bike and colour scheme which was stolen."

http://www.climbing.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/GT-A-1_table_mountain_bike_mugging.jpg

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

VERY bad news! It is the first use of a firearm in this area. The cops better find the ******* soon or I foresee tragedy!

Sorry to hear that.

Glad you are OK.

I was in that area with my son at about 4:00 or so. Scary that its happening with so many people around.

lots of students have been mugged on and near that bridge over the years its a quick getaway spot to mowbray..

for a while at least on weekdays there was a security patrol on the bridge because of the muggings but never on weekends

pleased you aren't injured

Slightly off topic but I was about to go get my table mountain activity card this week.i know they been checking a lot lately just above plump pudding and have issued a few fines.Out of principal I want to just leave it until they start getting some proper security on the mountain.

Slightly off topic but I was about to go get my table mountain activity card this week.i know they been checking a lot lately just above plump pudding and have issued a few fines.Out of principal I want to just leave it until they start getting some proper security on the mountain.

they have security on the mountain mate but its mostly only there to catch YOU riding without an activity card :whistling:

but I echo your sentiments if we must pay they must try harder :ph34r:

I ride up that way 2 times a week. In the week there is a security guard on the bridge. The university is also very busy around 5p.m. I think it's more an issue on the weekend early morning or late afternoon. I agree with springbean, I was stopped last week and got a warning for not having a license. I bought one on saturday, but they have to become more. alert, and not just check the licenses. When I was at tourism office for the license, I ask them what about the tourists that don't know about the license. They said they will have to pay a fine. No offence but the officials screwing up the tourism in the cape big time doing that. That's just my 50 censt.

• 2 years later...

Anybody know about this, whereabouts and maybe more details

Earlier today:

"Mugging near Rhodes. Saps & Rangers responding.

Metro Police was on scene 7 colour males robbed 4 guys. They alleged one had a knife. No suspect found. Complaint went to Rondebosch SAPS to open a case. They complaint is from Houtbay"

Yes was a hiker stabbed to death at boyes drive, really sad and upsetting

Ja, South Africa, a country we can all be proud off these days...

Yes was a hiker stabbed to death at boyes drive, really sad and upsetting

It really seems to be ramping up at the moment, especially in terms of the violence involved in the attacks.