Epicbikeshop Cape Town . .VAT refund missing!

Americo

Americo I am sorry you were not able to claim back the VAT with my original invoice. I was going to replace that with a new one for you to reclaim your money when my new business is VAT registered.

After being called a liar many times I am now not going to help you. End of story.

Liar was probably not the correct word to use but I have spoken to you on many occasions and know you wouldnt have done this on purpose. But I really think you should lay this to rest by sending the invoice.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

im kind of with zille on this dude

my original post was :

your best hope is that they honour their word to refund you because even if the goods are now out of RSA I don't think they are under any kind of legal obligation regarding the VAT other than the agreement you struck with them

keep smiling be nice and hope for the best ;)

I assumed you had some kind of agreement on the VAT..

but zilla has a point ( which he presents very honestly in my opinion) you haven't been very nice about this matter and I run a sole trader business and I would after 10 pages of flaming him and his business tell you the same thing he has ..

maybe this wasn't the forum to take this to  ..

I still don't get this, if Epicbikeshop is such a saint why didn't he just come clean at the beginning of this thread?

Instead he's bad mouthing the op and constantly trying to change the focus to whether the op is paying vat in EU(which is neither here nor there). Something else going on here.

If I was Zilla and at the time I sold the bike to the op I neither alluded to nor agreed to providing an invoice suitable for claiming the vat back, then I'd have come forward very early on in this thread stated that basic fact without any need to bad mouth the customer and then apologised that the op couldn't use the invoice as is natural to assume that the op would be a bit miffed. Nothing like that happened and now it's a ****ing Pr disaster.

People have got some really whacky ideas about paying vat in one country and another country offsetting that against their vat, you claim the vat when leaving a country and when you arrive home you pay the vat rate of your home country, your home country couldn't care less if you paid or didn't pay vat elsewhere, how the hell are they going accurately to verify that. The only reason they refund tax to tourists leaving the country is they can verify that the tax invoice is linked to a real vat number and that the invoice contains all the info required by local laws to issue a refund.

I still don't get this, if Epicbikeshop is such a saint why didn't he just come clean at the beginning of this thread?

Instead he's bad mouthing the op and constantly trying to change the focus to whether the op is paying vat in EU(which is neither here nor there). Something else going on here.

If I was Zilla and at the time I sold the bike to the op I neither alluded to nor agreed to providing an invoice suitable for claiming the vat back, then I'd have come forward very early on in this thread stated that basic fact without any need to bad mouth the customer and then apologised that the op couldn't use the invoice as is natural to assume that the op would be a bit miffed. Nothing like that happened and now it's a ****ing Pr disaster.

People have got some really whacky ideas about paying vat in one country and another country offsetting that against their vat, you claim the vat when leaving a country and when you arrive home you pay the vat rate of your home country, your home country couldn't care less if you paid or didn't pay vat elsewhere, how the hell are they going accurately to verify that. The only reason they refund tax to tourists leaving the country is they can verify that the tax invoice is linked to a real vat number and that the invoice contains all the info required by local laws to issue a refund.

Exactly can't agree with you more. 

Americo I am sorry you were not able to claim back the VAT with my original invoice. I was going to replace that with a new one for you to reclaim your money when my new business is VAT registered.

After being called a liar many times I am now not going to help you. End of story.

I'm calling you a liar???

You said I will get the VAT back at the airport,you knew since the beginning I wasn't from South Africa and going to leave after few months. You gave me an invoice without VAT on it saying that it was all I needed to get the REFUND,then you gave me another one with a fake VAT and now you're trying to do whatever is possible to escape the issue.

After 6 months you're saying that you will apply for a new VAT when you told me that you already did few months ago when I found out from the TAX refund office that the VAT on the invoice was not valid.Now you're playing the victim saying you won't pay the VAT because I'm calling you a liar?

Also stop with your fake affirmations,I have no interest on saying things that didn't happen and I have all the emails we exchanged to prove it. I'd really like to send it to an Admin so they can see how things went here.

Let me quote some of the things you wrote.If those are not lie what are they?

We spoke about a VAT return at the airport, I said I would provide as much as I could on paper but was not aware of the complete list of requirements. My Invoice does not state Tax Invoice or show a VAT number.

http://i61.tinypic.com/fcuwk1.jpg

Email dated February 11 2015 - 6 days before the bike was bought

"No I did not promise you a VAT refund, nor assure you this would be possible. I said you could try a claim. NOR did you ever buy the bike or ask about the cost ex VAT and buy in on this premise. We agreed a deal and spec and after you bought it you mentioned you want to claim the VAT."

"The OP makes it look like entrapment - sold a bike at the price point of Ex Vat to make it look enticing - Not at all - in all our discussions about the bike it was sold as if he was a natural SA person. Only at the very end did he mention he wanted to claim the vat back and I said he should be able to but wasnt clear. It wasnt a deal breaker for him. Now he's turned that around."

http://i62.tinypic.com/2i6chao.jpg

http://i58.tinypic.com/apbri8.jpg

"Epic Bike Shop as it stands is now under new management, the 10 year old cc has not been dissolved and I could not take that over and so I started up as a Sole Proprietor. My accountant will advise when its required to register this for VAT or change the entity type "

http://i61.tinypic.com/j7volw.jpg

Isn't this enough for all you to understand what Zilla is doing here?If not let me tell you all,he sold me the bike knowing I wasn't going to get back the VAT and now he is trying to deny the facts and saying that he won't pay the VAT because I shared with you the issue. 

For the people defending him,I'd love to see what you'd do if this happened to you

I have done business with Zilla, his brother and father over the years many times both as a client and as a supplier.

Edit: They are stand up guys and I find it hard to believe that things were done maliciously.

Zilla, you have stated your case. I doubt that you will lose business due to this. So don't lose sleep over this.

I have done business with Zilla, his brother and father over the years many times both as a client and as a supplier.

They are stand up guys and I will not believe for a second that anything here was malicious.

Zilla, you have stated your case. I doubt that you will lose business due to this. So don't lose sleep over this

Stumbled upon this thread, just the last 2 pages sums this up for me. The bike shop states that at no point was VAT discussed nor did the OP question VAT prior to the conclusion of the deal. The OP has attached copies of emails above that state otherwise. As well as a (ill say it) fraudulent tx invoice reflecting another businesses tax number??? Wow, how are people still defending the shop? Something someone once told me, it takes a lifetime to create a reputation, a split second decision to destroy it! My 5 cents.

Stumbled upon this thread, just the last 2 pages sums this up for me. The bike shop states that at no point was VAT discussed nor did the OP question VAT prior to the conclusion of the deal. The OP has attached copies of emails above that state otherwise. As well as a (ill say it) fraudulent tx invoice reflecting another businesses tax number??? Wow, how are people still defending the shop? Something someone once told me, it takes a lifetime to create a reputation, a split second decision to destroy it! My 5 cents.

Not defending. Stating my experiences with them. Use it don't use it. Everybody is entitled to make their own choices.

Nothing more nothing less.

They are stand up guys and I will not believe for a second that anything here was malicious.

Zilla, you have stated your case. I doubt that you will lose business due to this. So don't lose sleep over this.

Bill Cosby effect?

I'd like to agree with you but Zilla's behaviour on this thread points otherwise, maybe he's just handled this with poor judgement but he certainly does not appear to be without blame, have yet to see an honest apology from him without adding a good dose of bad mouthing to it, that to me speaks volumes.

ok jeez, i know pretty much nothing about vat laws and all that other stuff, and have just gotten into this thread today. Pretty exciting stuff, haha.

After reading over most of the replies on the last few pages, these are my thoughts...not that anyone should care!

Who cares if he paid his tax when he returned, like so many have said, that's not our issue and certainly not why this thread was started. Im not the "honesty" and "right thing to do" police, and neither is anyone here.

i don't know either of these people, and I am not getting paid "under the table" by any bike shops to post this, haha, seems like OP was told one thing, and has sufficient evidence as far as i bothered to check, to more or less back up what he has said. 

Epic should just help the dude out and try resolve the issue, sure things have been said in the heat of the moment, and poop has been flung, but come on, this is such a small issue in the greater scheme of things and frankly im surprised its gotten this many reply's, im actually surprised i have actually taken time out of may day to even bother with a post myself :P

Simply put, sort out the vat issue, and send off whatever the OP needs when its done. You don't even have to speak to each other EVER again, once everything is sorted, just email it over, simple as that. 

Sigh...i have too much time to waste  when looking at how much nonsense i just wrote! :ph34r:

I think Zilla is digging his own grave on this one. Why would a foreigner take all this time and effort if he did not have a leg to stand on? He has posted quite damming emails and correspondence which has not being denied by Zilla. 

Zilla has also threatened the OP over email and now on the open forum in a very childish tit for tat way. "I won't send you the invoice ....because xyz" Why are you trying to threaten and bully? 

Sorry Zilla but you are not covering yourself in glory on this one. It is very obvious to the neutral that the people who are defending you/harping on about the OP home vat ect. have some history with you. 

This reminds me of the Cajees employee's rant here sometime back except this time its the owner .... the amount of business/face you are potentially losing far out weights the value of the vat. 

There comes a point in time when things must end. Where this thread is concerned, that point was reached about 3 pages back.

The OP has done his whining, the accused has stated his side, and despite the fact that what he did was dumb (the VAT number part), his version seems plausible.

Enough already. The OP clearly has no intention of contributing anything meaningful to this thread, all he is doing is continually adding fuel to the fire in the hope of keeping it alive.

Archived