divernick

Guest notmyname

Steel road bike?...

Don't get me wrong the Road Logic is beaut - just seems the common 'go to' steel road bike at the moment.

Some that come to mind...

Stinner

Festka

Cherubim

Speedwagen

Twin Six

LeMond

And I'll add Soma Fab cos I have one :)

Check them out ;)

Ok back to Cotics. Hijack off.

Will check check it.

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone care to comment on the "ride" of the Cotic?

I have a Solaris 29er. I do find the rear to be "springy" rather than compliant...

Some say steel is "lazy" compared to carbon. I do think it needs a bit more encouragement in direction changes. But then more forgiving when you over compensate...

Keen to hear what Cotic riders think and why they rave about the product...

The BFe 26" is bliss to ride. Climbs really well and responds amazingly especially after fitting a shorter stem. The bike is heavy, but nibble!  

Longest ride to date was 40km with 1000m ascent! 

Daily commutes to work include blasting down hill and sometimes acting like a hooligan. :ph34r:

Anyone care to comment on the "ride" of the Cotic?

I have a Solaris 29er. I do find the rear to be "springy" rather than compliant...

Some say steel is "lazy" compared to carbon. I do think it needs a bit more encouragement in direction changes. But then more forgiving when you over compensate...

Keen to hear what Cotic riders think and why they rave about the product...

Tend to agree - I find my Solaris to be quite harsh for a steel bike over small stuff, but when it 'activates' after a bigger hit, it soaks it up beautifully. Front end is a bit too vague for my taste, there's a definite hesitation on turn in and it moves around when the steering loads up.

I did this years Trans Karoo on my new Niner Air9 Carbon. Apart from being nearly 3kg lighter (not all in the frame, as specs were not identical), it was faster, more comfortable and more predictable. It steers faster, yet is more stable and confidence inspiring on more tech singletrack too.

Caveat - There is a huge price gap...

Guest notmyname

The BFe 26" is bliss to ride. Climbs really well and responds amazingly especially after fitting a shorter stem. The bike is heavy, but nibble!

Longest ride to date was 40km with 1000m ascent!

Daily commutes to work include blasting down hill and sometimes acting like a hooligan. :ph34r:

Hooligan bike. That's the theme for my bFe. Full retard, no looking back. Now to get the bits I require.

My Simple 29r is running geared at the moment. It is my first steel hardtail, so can't compare it to other steel bikes, but compared to my previous Niner EMD (aka Jackhammer), and Alu Stumpjumper, the Cotic is more compliant in the rear. Ride it all day, in comfort. I also prefer the slack front compared to my Epic. I haven't found it sluggish. I find it inspires confidence, as I tend to throw it around corners more than I ever recall doing to a bike. Don't do Strava, so cant tell if its just a "feeling" of better handling.

Do I love it? Hell yes...

I honestly feel the steel bike is a lot more "chuckable" in the corners - It is like I throw it into the corner and it just sticks. (A lot to do also with tyres and tyre pressures I assume).

I also find that I don't feel so sorry for it as with previous carbon bikes - if the frame goes, I just get a new one. Hence my times on a steel bike is comparable to me on a carbon.

A lot more forgiving over the rough stuff as opposed to Alu.

And lastly I like pitching up at a race and I have something that no one else has (or can buy at a store off the shelf as is.)

I honestly feel the steel bike is a lot more "chuckable" in the corners - It is like I throw it into the corner and it just sticks. (A lot to do also with tyres and tyre pressures I assume).

I also find that I don't feel so sorry for it as with previous carbon bikes - if the frame goes, I just get a new one. Hence my times on a steel bike is comparable to me on a carbon.

A lot more forgiving over the rough stuff as opposed to Alu.

And lastly I like pitching up at a race and I have something that no one else has (or can buy at a store off the shelf as is.)

I noticed your bike has a Lefty. I bought mine 2nd hand with a lefty. I struggled a bit with the change in geometry the Lefty makes (my lefty lifted the front by 3cm). Perhaps I'm on the limit with medium frame, but with a standard 100mm fork, it seems to be a happier.

Must agree, when I travel to Dullstroom for a bit of R&R, I take the Cotic because it's bomb proof and can take the rough downhills.

Hey, there Cotic fans.

Here is my newly refurbed X. :clap:  :clap:

I wanted to go with the retro logo, which anyone who has been following Cotic as long as I have will recognize. The Soul used to have similar graphics years ago.

The font may not be exact, but no-one was able to help me from either Cotic SA or Cotic UK.

I will see how I feel about the black on white as I go - I may replace with the plain black lettering (I have tons of decals - thanks Tyrone)

The new, solid metal headbadge is on its way from Northampton, then she will be totally sorted..

• Running 1 x 10 with Slx crank and 2 x 2.5mm spacers 
  • 32 NW On-One Ringmaster up front.
  • 1 x 10 bar-end shifter
  • Microshift RD
  • Salsa Woodchipper bars
  • Arundel Wrap
  • Arundel Stainless cages
  • BB7 road calipers
  • Smoke Shimano 600 Tricolor levers
  • Thomson Seat post and Stem
  • DRC Rims
  • Marathon extreme tyres
  • Surly Disc Trucker fork
  • B17 special.

Overall, I am extremely happy.

Good for another four years!!

Here are some pics...pardon the dirty down-tube and floor on the third one. ;)

post-16283-0-68514100-1443769313_thumb.jpg

post-16283-0-87234200-1443769342_thumb.jpeg

post-16283-0-36110500-1443769415_thumb.jpeg

Hey, there Cotic fans.

Here is my newly refurbed X. :clap: :clap:

I wanted to go with the retro logo, which anyone who has been following Cotic as long as I have will recognize. The Soul used to have similar graphics years ago.

The font may not be exact, but no-one was able to help me from either Cotic SA or Cotic UK.

I will see how I feel about the black on white as I go - I may replace with the plain black lettering (I have tons of decals - thanks Tyrone)

The new, solid metal headbadge is on its way from Northampton, then she will be totally sorted..

• 1 x 10 bar-end shifter
  • Microshift RD
  • Salsa Woodchipper bars
  • Arundel Wrap
  • BB7 road calipers
  • DRC Rims
  • Marathon extreme tyres
  • B17 special.

Nice project and well executed mate. You've done that bike proud.

CHro Mo we need to meet up and go for a slow ride up to Umhlanga for a coffee. Will be nice to see two X's in the same place

For sure.

CHro Mo we need to meet up and go for a slow ride up to Umhlanga for a coffee. Will be nice to see two X's in the same place

I'll invite myself to that ride  :thumbup:

Hey, there Cotic fans.

Here is my newly refurbed X. :clap:  :clap:

• 1 x 10 bar-end shifter
  • Microshift RD
  • Salsa Woodchipper bars
  • Arundel Wrap
  • BB7 road calipers
  • DRC Rims
  • Marathon extreme tyres
  • B17 special.

nice bike Brett