[Event] 2016 Cape Town Cycle Tour

News bot

Ya we did catch 2A and 1's long before and the group was much too big for those roads especially where they narrowed and 2C joined in.  2 of us did collar bones in that crash, mine broken, his dislocated, his front wheel buckled and my frame cracked... hectic crash and glad you managed to get around ad stay upright!!

I was sitting on the right rather forward in the group when the 2C's joined and immediately thought HKGK... this is going to get interesting. Like you say - that was WAY too big a group for that section of the route.

Just before that there was a woman (spectator) who was trying to do a good thing and get a fallen bottle out of the way. She walked almost right in front of me and before I could breathe the guy behind me shouted at her. She kicked the bottle away in panic and jumped out of the way, think I felt nauseous for a couple of 100m after that, it was sooo close. Not to mention that fortunately she hooked the bottle correctly with her kick and did not kick it INTO the bunch. She meant well, but the mind boggles at the sense of timing. 

Best of luck with that collarbone... I told the mrs last night I presume my mishap might have later on saved my from something worse - the more I read, the more I wonder... it may just have been my guardian angel holding that brake down.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Started in 6B, lungs and legs weren't feeling all there, particularly when my u16 nephew starting in 6D caught me just 19km's in...

Got to the top of Suikerbos (very close to tears!), and saw that I was about 7mins off the pace of finishing under 5 hours.  Gave it all I got from there on, and the 'vomit stage' spinning training somehow kicked in...managed to get home in 4:59!  Happy with that, considering fitness levels et al...

Big up to the organisers, once again!  Also felt that the loading procedure went a lot smoother than last year (less bottlenecks), but felt for the guys who tried to load in the group ahead of us and were denied entry when the rest of the group was still right there, because 'the bag with entry cards has already gone'. 

Also noted more rubbish - how does anyone justify just chucking anything on the road, when there are loads of places (not even including your back pocket) to dispose of it?

Awesome ride this year.....was expecting to do a 3:45 odd for my 21st "Argus" from 2G, yet managed a pb of 3:26  :clap:

Hats off to the organisers for another extremely well organised event....can't wait for 2017

Speedy recovery to all those that got injured.

To all the whiners about the road being narrow in places and the groups being too big....simple solution, slowing down a bit will get you through those sections without incident (it is a funride after all :whistling: )

Was also in 2b at the front, it was chaos in simonstown, I just stayed on the right. And then at smits a few of us broke away to get out of trouble. After suikerbos it was hammer down and deep into the hurt locker crossed the line in 3:07

True . .I was there as well,but it was really fun. What bike do you have? 

If you go to racetec and find your result you can click next to the event on the thing I circled and it takes you to the site where all the pictures linked to you are posted.

attachicon.gifRacetec.JPG

Thanks a lot. Are those your times??  :thumbup:

White carbon giant with attakwas shirt on! and you?

The bianchi on the picture and a black and green castelli kit 

Cool, finally the results are showing! This year I did 4 CTCT events :clap:

4-in-1.gif

Hats off to you guys that did 2 laps in such good times!!

So this was my first full length CTCT ..  Very much mixed feeling today as I was hoping for 3:05 and got 3:11.  Main reason, getting dropped at each climb...

Was very demoralising the first time (although I set new 20Min Max heart rate), 3rd time getting dropped I gave up and rode my own pace and just waited for next bunch to catch me and let them drag me to the end.  I still finished top 50% of the group where i'm normally top 10%.

Lessons learned, if group faster than you, let them go and don't burn (hurt) yourself in first 30 minutes, you cycle lot slower at end with strained mussels and cannot do the climbs properly.

Get better at hill climbs.

The second lap was just awesome, rode my own pace and enjoyed everyone just having a jol, even the old toppie on his petrol help-my-trap.  The views was spectacular , especially if you able to look up and enjoy them and not just focus on the back wheels in front of you.

I stopped at about 7 water stations on 2nd lap, it was 30+ already and the late starters got my full respect doing 6+hrs in that heat.

Saw few crashes, one or 2 look serious (guys not moving), rest was mostly road rash..

To the dude asking for tube for his MTB, sorry bud, my roady wheels would not have fitted.

so total of 222.3km, 7h:30 in saddle, I'm back next year.

So this was my first full length CTCT ..  Very much mixed feeling today as I was hoping for 3:05 and got 3:11.  Main reason, getting dropped at each climb...

Was very demoralising the first time (although I set new 20Min Max heart rate), 3rd time getting dropped I gave up and rode my own pace and just waited for next bunch to catch me and let them drag me to the end.  I still finished top 50% of the group where i'm normally top 10%.

Lessons learned, if group faster than you, let them go and don't burn (hurt) yourself in first 30 minutes, you cycle lot slower at end with strained mussels and cannot do the climbs properly.

Get better at hill climbs.

The second lap was just awesome, rode my own pace and enjoyed everyone just having a jol, even the old toppie on his petrol help-my-trap.  The views was spectacular , especially if you able to look up and enjoy them and not just focus on the back wheels in front of you.

I stopped at about 7 water stations on 2nd lap, it was 30+ already and the late starters got my full respect doing 6+hrs in that heat.

Saw few crashes, one or 2 look serious (guys not moving), rest was mostly road rash..

To the dude asking for tube for his MTB, sorry bud, my roady wheels would not have fitted.

so total of 222.3km, 7h:30 in saddle, I'm back next year.

i've ran roadie tubes in my MTB before, it will get you home yes, not ideal but can work

i've ran roadie tubes in my MTB before, it will get you home yes, not ideal but can work

mmm.... should have tried... but really thought 18/23c in those fat tyres would have popped farly quickly.  ;-(

I am very envious of all your times, hubbers.  Just for once I want a seeding where I don't have to do an ITT for 109kms.  Yesterday, I was on a good speed until we got the mild SE going through Muizenberg to Miller's Point.  It was not bad, but enough to tire me out a bit.  And I usually go through a bad patch from Misty Cliffs to Noordhoek.  It was also quite hot for me going up Suikerbossie just after 1 in the afternoon.

Hopefully I can get some time in this year for training, and get a starting time before 8 in the morning.

Great day out - started in 5G with  my wife aiming for 4 hours on her first full length tour. We were on track for a sub 4 but she started to flag a bit after 40km and we slowed up for a 4h11. I had great fun attacking the hills and descents and then waited for her along the way. Think we will be back for a few more...

Well sorry guys - I lied

Having said that 2014 was my last Argus I was back in the saddle yesterday for the ride of my life - not a PB as I've since moved back to the land of my fathers and winter is a grim time to be training in the UK - but absolutely no complaints - apart perhaps from a slight numbness this morning in my nether regions !

HUGE respect yet again for the Tour organisers, they do an awesome job in what must sometimes be challenging circumstances.

To all the moaners out there - try walking a mile in their shoes - that way you'll be far away and we won't have to listen to your ungrateful whining  ;)

Hey, Hey lekker to see you back! Your Zipp's have won several Elite ladies' races while you were away!

attachicon.gif20160306_055336.jpg

Nino started just in front of me. Christoph started next to him but he had gone off for a leak when I took this pic.

Thats my shoe you got on the left Lol...

If you go to racetec and find your result you can click next to the event on the thing I circled and it takes you to the site where all the pictures linked to you are posted.

Racetec.JPG

dats your diploma no? Pics will be next to it in a few days I imagine. Too early to tag all those pics.

Archived