Emmarentia Dam wall

StevieL

Does anyone know what the timeline is for the refurbishment of the Emmarentia Dam Wall? 

There was (up until this morning) a little path that they had made on the side of the road, that made provision for walkers, cyclists etc. But I saw this morning that they had barricaded that off too. Not too much effort to get off the bike and lift it over this... but clearly the reason they have done it, is to prevent bikes from accessing the path.

From what I have heard the cost for the little project is in the region of R20m. Quite a lot, especially bearing in mind that I have seen little work or progression in the 6 months it's been out of action.

I can recall reading somewhere that it should be completed by mid December, there was an exact date, but I can't remember what it was or where I read it.

Does anyone know what the timeline is for the refurbishment of the Emmarentia Dam Wall? 

There was (up until this morning) a little path that they had made on the side of the road, that made provision for walkers, cyclists etc. But I saw this morning that they had barricaded that off too. Not too much effort to get off the bike and lift it over this... but clearly the reason they have done it, is to prevent bikes from accessing the path.

From what I have heard the cost for the little project is in the region of R20m. Quite a lot, especially bearing in mind that I have seen little work or progression in the 6 months it's been out of action.

Was supposed to be 3 months  :blush:

I am sure some "brother" or "cousin" got a decent backhand with the awarding of this contract... R20m seems an awful lot for the "upgrading" of a dam(n) wall, that was seemed fine to begin with...

Edited by StevieL

I fail to see why they went through the extra effort of blocking it with those concrete barries. What is the motivation behind this??

I still ride over it, and F&^K them if they try and stop me.

I dont get this either, the one side is fine, on can jump onto the pavement and jump off onto the road then cross the bridge, the Greenside side is a bitch though, I think we should go move it

I am sure some "brother" or "cousin" got a decent backhand with the awarding of this contract... R20m seems an awful lot for the "upgrading" of a dam(n) wall, that was fine to begin with...

Dammed if you do, dammed if you don't.

Sorry about the awful but intentional pun.

We always complain when government doesn't maintain infrastructure. It is not just a normal road, from an engineering perspective it is also a dam wall. Imagine the pandemonium that would occur if it cracked/leaked/broke.

I am of course assuming you didn't do an engineering examination of the road and wall before coming to your conclusion...

(I agree about the backhand though... sad state of affairs)

I dont get this either, the one side is fine, on can jump onto the pavement and jump off onto the road then cross the bridge, the Greenside side is a bitch though, I think we should go move it

Good luck... those concrete bits are heavy... I did try push one this morning.... :)

Good luck... those concrete bits are heavy... I did try push one this morning.... :)

Hahahaha!! Thats why I said "we" sir, I think of calling a friend with a 4x4 and some rope :D

Hahahaha!! Thats why I said "we" sir, I think of calling a friend with a 4x4 and some rope :D

Borrow a tank and a big chain rather...

Might be better to go show some cleavage to the site manager and ask nicely.... :)

(OK - easier anyway)

Might be better to go show some cleavage to the site manager and ask nicely.... :)

(OK - easier anyway)

:eek:

I side road bikes these days, I have no such things anymore  :mellow:  :lol: