Some advice on Raleigh tri6000

KeaganRob

Hi,

I'm looking to purchase the Raleigh Tri6000 with 105 group set. Not sure of the year of the bike but the price is good. Any advice on if this is a decent intermediate bike.

Any help would be massively appreciated.

Regards

Hi,

I'm looking to purchase the Raleigh Tri6000 with 105 group set. Not sure of the year of the bike but the price is good. Any advice on if this is a decent intermediate bike.

Any help would be massively appreciated.

Regards

Not a bad starter bike to get into triathlons.  If the price is good and you like it, go for it

You don't say what you are going to do with it. If it's purely for triathlon, then I would say it's Ok. Not the best tri bike out there, but if it's cheap, then why not.

If you are going to use it as a normal road bike, I would look elsewhere. Tri bikes are banned from road events because of the brake position. I have seen a number of Tri6000 converted to road bikes with road bars and brake levers/sti. Still, the nature of a tri bike would make it an uncomfortable ride if it was converted.

And, this is purely my opinion, they are dog ugly.

Just out of interest, what is the price and is it 9 or 10 speed 105.

I won't say R5000 is cheap. They stopped making those bikes around 2009, so its at least 6 years old.Mr Marvin is closer to the right price at R4500.

If you want a tri specific bike, then offer the R4500, otherwise look out for its road specific brother, the RC6000. They go for R4 000 or so used.

Bottom line is that it will put you in a tri specific position, its not the more aero or the lightest bike you will find but I have two friends that have done full iron on them and they did the job just fine.

I did my first two IMSAs on my Tri6000. 

Great bike. You couldn't buy half the components for the price.I always think of Raleighs as the Toyota Corollas of the cycle world. Cheap, ultra reliable and do what all the other bikes do with a little less pizzazz.

You could spend 10 times as much and not go any faster.

The Alu gives more vibration than a carbon ride,