Fuel Per Race

Apologies if this has been covered in another thread, if so please point me there.

My question is, how the heck do I consume enough carbs to fuel this?

By my reckoning for a reasonable  94.7 and Argus I need around 3,500 to 4,000 calories to go the distance.

That is for a 4 hour time,

I weigh around 110kg and ride a roadbike (yip, you may thrash me on the climbs but only a tandem outguns me on a descent lol!

I was starting on a Jungle Oats breakfast and eating bananas and jellibabies and the odd goo on the bike and drinking Cytomax x 2 bottles and then when my juice runs out usually 1 of whatever the drink stations serve.

As an aside for the new 720ml drinks bottles at Cyclelab that makes it 198 Calories per bottle of Cytomax?

I tend to run out of bang on the N14 (old route) of the 94.7, and this might be due to the fact that I am not ingesting enough (of the right) carbs?

Input and checking of my maths appreciated!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How much of the 110kg is muscle?

3500-4000 calories in my opinion is way too much. On Sunday I did the one tonner (170km) untrained at 94kgs. The week leading up to the event I ate 3000 calories a day and during the ride about 1300 calories and breakfast about 300 calories. Averaged 30km/h

1 x Sachet of Jungel oats with Milk is = 220cals

2 x medium bananas = 350cals

1 packet Jellie babies = 100cals

2 x CycoMax = 400cals

2 x Cokes at water points = 280cals

This plus the 1000cals your liver stores should be enough at a medium pace.

Remember you dont need to take in as much Cals as you burn in race. On a 5 hours 4000cal ride, I eat about 1000cals total

Else carry something extra like nuts, banana bread, or just a simple ham and cheese sarmie. Eat those earlier on in the ride. Keep a goo for the last 10km :)

1 x Sachet of Jungel oats with Milk is = 220cals

2 x medium bananas = 350cals

1 packet Jellie babies = 100cals

2 x CycoMax = 400cals

2 x Cokes at water points = 280cals

This plus the 1000cals your liver stores should be enough at a medium pace.

Remember you dont need to take in as much Cals as you burn in race. On a 5 hours 4000cal ride, I eat about 1000cals total

Else carry something extra like nuts, banana bread, or just a simple ham and cheese sarmie. Eat those earlier on in the ride. Keep a goo for the last 10km :)

Interesting. I've never been very good at this calorie thing....

Do you count calories that you consume during a "normal" day I.E to watch/manage your weight?

Does one up the calorie intake a day or two before a race??

on Sunday for the Shova I ate a lot. But I didn't feel flat for a minute so it worked.

I burnt 3100cal, and the below is probably closer to 3500cal. Did some calculations on Saturday but don't have that on me now.

Bowl of Rolled oats + honey + Tbl spoon of peanut butter for breakfast

2 pancakes with Nutella on route to PMB

1 Cadence carbofuel bar in the start pens.

On ride

2 x high 5 energy bars

2 x cadence carbo fuel bars

2 baby potatoes

3 cadence gels

2 bottles of cadence marathon

You can cheat a bit for a single day race - called carbo loading...

The reality is that you have some carbohydrate stores existing that you call upon when needed - maximising these in advance of the race has some benefits.

The issue with eating large quantities in a race is that you really can only absorb a certain amount before it starts to impact fluid uptake - so it's a balancing act.

Practically - you can estimate about 1g of carbohydrate per kg per hour as a reasonable maximum intake - going much over this is likely to have unpleasant side effects - and don't forget to include the carbohydrate content of your drinks when you calculate how much you need to eat.

As to a 4 hour being a reasonable time - judges will stay out on that... lets just say you don't need to eat 1g/kg/hour at that level of intenisity unless you are truely "balls to the wall" for most of that time - as carbohydrate usage and relative effort are closely related.

on Sunday for the Shova I ate a lot. But I didn't feel flat for a minute so it worked.

I burnt 3100cal, and the below is probably closer to 3500cal. Did some calculations on Saturday but don't have that on me now.

On ride

2 x high 5 energy bars

2 baby potatoes

3 cadence gels

Are you racing or eating? :)

Interesting. I've never been very good at this calorie thing....

Do you count calories that you consume during a "normal" day I.E to watch/manage your weight?

Does one up the calorie intake a day or two before a race??

Absolutely, each and everything. Even the brandies I have during the rugby :)

I dont "up" the calories the days before the race, but I make sure that I am not in deficit the 2-3 days leading up to a race. I dont want arrive at a race in fasted state.

On ride

2 x high 5 energy bars

2 baby potatoes

3 cadence gels

Did you ride back to the start?

Edited by Gnarly

Absolutely, each and everything. Even the brandies I have during the rugby :)

I dont "up" the calories the days before the race, but I make sure that I am not in deficit the 2-3 days leading up to a race. I dont want arrive at a race in fasted state.

So how many calories in a brandy :nuke: ?

Are you racing or eating? :)

Was wondering the same thing.

You guys can sure eat a lot on a ride!!!  :blush:  :w00t:

100km I do one bottle water and one bottle USN Epic pro.

Before the ride I eat 50g Futurelife.

That is it.

Maybe that is why I suffer so much in the races?  :ph34r:  :clap:

Did you ride back to the start?

yes and then back to Durban :w00t: , am I the first to complete a double Amashova ?

I carried extra, and when I checked my HR was at avg of 170 at the 50km mark, I just chowed cos I really didn't want to burn out. Was my first true race so didn't know what to expect.