Best Bike in Africa 2015: #11 Pyga Stage

News bot

You make a very good point...

Sure Pyga is a small operation somewhere in howick(flippen hipster jol :clap: )...but your weakness is sometimes your strength.

They have a presence at all the big stage races in SA...Patrick himself wrenching and helping out, should you run into issues, the man is there ready to help out or give advice...do the big brands have this...NO

You can speak directly to the guy that designed your frame, ask about potential kit and how it will work with your frame....do the big brands offer this service...NO

Their bikes are designed for SA...now this might not sound like a biggie but consider this, you will probably do all of your riding in your lifetime here in SA, why not buy a bike that was designed for our specific and quite unique mtb culture....

Now when it comes to warranties, who would you like to deal with, the guy that put his name on the frame or a rep/agent....

Being small means you are agile, agile when it comes to all of the above..

And then lastly and this is very IMPORTANT, their videos are cool

Being small is good in this case, and one of the reasons I bought one. 

Agree 100% with all of that.  Just a pity they are forced to pass on the spec cost to the consumer given them being shafted by suppliers.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes but it lasted, and time will tell if PYGA does too. Its great to see a South African brand doing well in this space. Im a bit skeptical about pricing on something this novel among a group of pedigreed makes.

I also observe that the craze about laid back geometry a bit uneducated when you consider that the Giant Trance has already established its placed as a consumer bike for much cheaper with no holds on quality.

They very nearly went bust in the mid-90's, and they weren't really much of a player until Merida bought into them in '01 and the marketing started. 

The mere fact that Pyga (an incredibly young company) are being compared to the likes of Specialized (albeit, locally) tells me that Pat & co. are very much on the right track. They have a great range of bikes now, and are starting to release some brilliant parts (specifically the latest hubs and wheels). I see it growing into something worthwhile if they plot their entry into the international markets well.

They very nearly went bust in the mid-90's, and they weren't really much of a player until Merida bought into them in '01 and the marketing started. 

The mere fact that Pyga (an incredibly young company) are being compared to the likes of Specialized (albeit, locally) tells me that Pat & co. are very much on the right track. They have a great range of bikes now, and are starting to release some brilliant parts (specifically the latest hubs and wheels). I see it growing into something worthwhile if they plot their entry into the international markets well.

Not much "local design" going into the wheels and hubs though.  They're just ordered and rebranded as far as I know.  Might be wrong.

The CSixx stuff are actually designed by them and I can attest to the quality.

Agree 100% with all of that.  Just a pity they are forced to pass on the spec cost to the consumer given them being shafted by suppliers.

Ja nic, its a effup....

That is where being big is your strength, you have more clout when it comes to dealing with oem stuff with sram, shimano etc etc...That cost saving is then passed down to the consumer...

Ja nic, its a effup....

That is where being big is your strength, you have more clout when it comes to dealing with oem stuff with sram, shimano etc etc...That cost saving is then passed down to the consumer...

perhaps a bit of it ..... klomp etters almal!

Yes but it lasted, and time will tell if PYGA does too. Its great to see a South African brand doing well in this space. Im a bit skeptical about pricing on something this novel among a group of pedigreed makes.

I also observe that the craze about laid back geometry a bit uneducated when you consider that the Giant Trance has already established its placed as a consumer bike for much cheaper with no holds on quality.

Explain this bit here, please... Your grammar and sentence construction are shocking, so it's difficult to determine what you are actually trying to say. 

Explain this bit here, please... Your grammar and sentence construction are shocking, so it's difficult to determine what you are actually trying to say.

I'll speak in bullets then your grace:

1.price

2.value

3.trail geometry

4.by a trance and an anthem for the price of the pyga ...

Kapeesh?

What do you mean by "something this novel"...

I'll speak in bullets then your grace:

1.price

2.value

3.trail geometry

4.by buy a trance and an anthem for the price of the pyga ...

Kapeesh? Capisce

... you're welcome.

And if you buy an Anthem, you'll definitely need a spare bike for when it goes in for a frame replacement when a crack appears on the joint between the seat tube and top tube.

Edited by GLuvsMtb

... you're welcome.

And if you buy an Anthem, you'll definitely need a spare bike for when it goes in for a frame replacement when a crack appears on the joint between the seat stay and top stay.

Old ones had that. New ones are fixed by all accounts

.... we waiting...

I haven't seen anything on Pyga's FB so guessing they did not win.

:( 

But still my fav bike.

G

So....