94.7 without training at all. Is this possible?

did it once

rode a 20km training ride 1 week before

took me 8 hours to finish the 94.7

was fun until the krugersdorp highway

never do that again, rather be fit and cruise along in 8 hours

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

did it once

rode a 20km training ride 1 week before

took me 8 hours to finish the 94.7

was fun until the krugersdorp highway

never do that again, rather be fit and cruise along in 8 hours

If you are fit you should be able to easily do two loops in 8 hours.

With the amount of 'sand bagging' going on lately most have ridden nothing or very little ........ they'll probably still kick my butt  :ph34r:

If you are fit you should be able to easily do two loops in 8 hours.

my cruise involves beer, lots of beer, doubt i will have time for 2 loops

it really depends when last you rode and your general fitness. I don't train at all for races, I just pitch up and ride. (but then I do clock up 150km on average a week for commuting). The rest of the okes summed it up. I'm just trying to increase my post count so that I can be taken seriously in the future

Look, everyone knows that when someone says that they havn't been on a bike for months and are really out of shape, they really mean that they have created an anonymous Strava account, now hold all the KOMs in Jo'burg, have dropped their body fat percentage down to 3% and paced Darryl Impey around Suikerbosrand.

You will be fine.

if you consider yourself a good climber and have a very high pain threshold then do it. If not, give it a skip.

You will be fine, eat a massive breakfast. Pack a lunch and wear two pairs of cycling shorts.

Take your cellphone and have some family on standby with a rescue vehicle, just in case.

Its possible to finish with no training. Just ride within your ability and don't push on the climbs.

If you looking to be competitive and race a good time and end high up in your group then its prob not a good idea because you will blow up way before the end and have nothing left, But if you want to go out there and just complete the race then do just that, go out ride the race and enjoy it, have a chat with the back markers, if you're experienced then help a few of the other struggling guys out who also may not have trained and weigh triple figures etc.

So YES it is possible to finish if you don't expect a great time....

Rather do it and judge yourself for next time if it happens again and hurt a little(a lot) than not do it and regret not doing it.

ENJOY IT BOET...

Look, everyone knows that when someone says that they havn't been on a bike for months and are really out of shape, they really mean that they have created an anonymous Strava account, now hold all the KOMs in Jo'burg, have dropped their body fat percentage down to 3% and paced Darryl Impey around Suikerbosrand.

You will be fine.

Yep, some guys LOVE this reverse psychology strategy over their mates...

They say they haven't trained because they haven't been riding with their usual groups, when in actual fact its because the group is too slow and he has been riding at 5am every morning.

Then after the race when he has won his group and dropped all his mates after 10kms he will use the "i guess I'm just naturally fit" excuse and his mates who have been grinding away on their bikes daily and sweating blood(who are the 100kg plus dudes) end up despondent and selling their bikes....

I'm just trying to increase my post count so that I can be taken seriously in the future

I thought that's the reason everybody comments on anything on here? :whistling:

The weather will also play a big role. If you are not used to cycling in the heat and possibly wind then its good times ahead!

Couch Potatoe to 94.7 finisher. (Sounds like a Bicycling cover story) possible, yes. But, also stupid.

One year I passed a dude in Bryanston who had a heart attack on the route, and I found out after the race that he did not make it. That image has never left me.

Why would you want to put your body under such stress?

Archived