New and have a few questions...Help.

Nox

Good old board shorts over bibs also work very well ... the boardshorts protect you from abrasion in a fall and also prevents the bibs lycra from being torn ... tried and tested this a couple of times.

What I like about bibs is that they don't move or shift.

Riding One Industries baggies right now though, and must say they are rather comfortable and the fabric has good stretch in the right places, pocket that work and a good length .... so a good pair of baggies such as these are also a great investment.http://dialdbikes.co.za/one-industries-atom-short-en.html

Those shorts look really nice but certainly aren't cheap. You can also check out the Swindle site for Dakine baggies. Really comfy, well made and almost half the price. They've also got some nice shirts, gloves etc.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't intend to start doing like hectic downhill straight away and jumps etc. Maybe get to that, technical trail, faster switchbacks and so on. Not sure if thats the type of thing you guys are saying as well.

I'm not getting younger...mid thirties, so i don't see myself doing RedBull events or races  :D

However if I do see a smill litlle jump or those drops I'd like to work towards it. Remember I ride MX bikes as well but not MX tracks, I ride Enduro. i.e through the woods, Atlantis dunes, that type of thing. I also scaled down my "bravery" since some of the doctors bills came.

I do heed your advice thouh, but I really can't jump out and go buy a full on downhill blaster at 14k etc right now, esp since I want to get a bike for the wife as well so we can do some rides together in between my adventure rides as well. One of the reasons for this.

However, i reckon should this be as adictive as you say , one might be able to sell a MX bike to pay for a nice upgrade.

In saying all this.

You guys reckon the Anthem x3 then as a base rather than a Silverback Mercury?

Both upgraded by Fox shocks front and rear.

What is the Scott Reflex 25 fx like?

From what I read and see, the Giant Anthem could be a good base to maybe upgrade stuff later?

Do you still reckon hold out for more of a Downhill type bike?

Can you still ride XC on a downhill bike?

Maybe I should just get a bike and decide if the bug even bites. THe Giant Anthem seems like the safest in between bet here maybe...maybe even the Silverback.

Hahaha, most of us are around that age and older. 

With an XC bike you gonna be very limited as to what you can do.

Lets say a moto mia scrambler vs a Kawasaki? (not sure if its a good comparison, but I dont think the moto mia could do much on a dirt track)

You dont need a downhill bike. Travel around 120-160mm should be good.

If you want something leaning towards the trail side of  things then 120-140mm and if more enduro style then 140mm+

Placing myself in your shoes I'd go for the Anthem. They are pretty capable all rounder type bikes and as far as I know the actual frame design hasn't changed much.

And I say all of the above being as someone who prefers Silverback.

Ok so after riding 9 bikes, hardtail 29ers's and others, I got a Giant Anthem X3 for me Large frame. medium was too small, Xlarge too big.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/mountain-bikes/product/review-giant-anthem-x3-09-32593/

and a Mongoose Otero Elite for the wife (she liked it best of all on the ones we tested).

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/mountain-bikes/product/review-mongoose-otero-elite-08-us-9995/

I held out for a Trance but then saw 2015 Reighn. it's too expensive for me currently. I thought ok, maybe I get into the MTB thing and start to do less XC and more DH/Freeride and then I can upgrade to a 650b Trance / Reighn as they will be available pre owned then.  So that was the reasoning.

I got the Anthem X3 for a good price I think and the Mongoose as well. I can see if we like this hobby / sport and then decide if we upgrade or are not into it without spending too much. I must say i did have a glance at the credit card when I saw a Giant Reign 650b. But no.... 

I'll do that later.

I'll be taking the bikes to do a tubeless conversion and a service.

Thanks for the bike advice.

I hope I got a good base to start off with. it sure feels great...of all the bikes I rode this one, the Anthem, to me was just spot on. I can see where the 29er's get the appeal from...but imho if I get my next bike it will be a 650b. That just felt amazing. The 26er and the 650b's just felt more fun and flickable. but riding a bit i can see that for speed or whatever the 29er is probably better.

^^ take this from the complete noob it comes. 

Thanks guys!

Will do pics as soon as I go pick it up from the service and tubeless conversion. 

As promised...and as requested. here is the pic of my bike :)

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f114/slapdash777/Bike/temporary_zpsyumwjmhv.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I'd give a little bit of feedback.

Man, Im actually really liking this.

First trip out was just down to the beach mozeyng around there, then I started doing some jumps of curbs and steps etc. :whistling:  Thought i'd try riding on the back wheel like i did when i was a kid. Still got it!! :clap:  Not as far as i remembered doing it but can do it.  

Anyway not really ventured to many trails yet. Need a damn rack for the bikes for the 4x4 back wheel now.

So thats next. need a proper helmet now. Got the gloves, and pants. So far i have the padded tights on and just regular cargo shorts over. Works well so far. Will see later.

I'm definitely getting into it. Swapped the seat. now very comfortable vs the one in the pic. What you see there is a torture device.

So yeah.  :thumbup:

Oh yeah... my noobness might be a giveaway here but, I think I've figured out the Stem is too long?  It feels as though I need something shorter. 

Oh yeah... my noobness might be a giveaway here but, I think I've figured out the Stem is too long?  It feels as though I need something shorter. 

Ya, get a 60mm or shorter stem...and get rid of the cow horns...It's an older bike so unlikely to be perfect with a super short stem :) CWC has some decent 60mm ones for cheap  :thumbup:

Looks like a 100mm you got on the bike. See if you can borrow a 70 or 80 and if it still feels long go for a 50mm.

I found matching a shorter stem with a wider bar makes the bike feel more manageable otherwise go for a bike fit so they can look at what you need and get you setup properly.

but if the anthem is a fairly forward and upright bike. a short stem makes a world of difference to how confident you feel on the bike. Helps with OTB (over the bars) feeling.

I like a 700+ handlebar (nowadays 760mm) and a 50-70mm stem.

Sounds like you are enjoying the bike which is awesome!

:thumbup:

Archived