New and have a few questions...Help.

Nox

Oh and another question.

Wheelsets and brake discs on the 26ers? Is this going to be a problem in the near future or far future?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...and another. Sorry for all the Qestions guys. Was set to go buy a new 29er hardtail till Eddy and popcorn_skollie made me rethink this idea ;)

Now I'm kinda liking the "oldschool" 26er idea

What do I look for regarding older 26er's?

Bearings? loose Spokes?

Oil leaks?  :lol:

Any specifics I need to check?

If you gonna buy an oldie, then best is to try and get one in a great condition. I would say make sure the drivetrain is still usable and nothing needs replacing.

Then make sure that the fork and shock does not have any scuff/scratch marks on it. Dont worry about leaks on these cause I would recommend you take it in for a full service on the fork and shock anyway. That way they will be like new again. Best place for this is Stoke Suspension.

I am eagerly awaiting the day that all trail riders use full face helmets that are light, well ventilated and safe.

Will be first in line to own one......it just makes good sense!

Shorts (bibs)

I'm no mountain biker but if you want to go fast ride with a BIB (like the pro's). I think if you spend more than 2hrs on the bike with baggies it will start to chafe you in all sorts of places.

Good old board shorts over bibs also work very well ... the boardshorts protect you from abrasion in a fall and also prevents the bibs lycra from being torn ... tried and tested this a couple of times.

What I like about bibs is that they don't move or shift.

Riding One Industries baggies right now though, and must say they are rather comfortable and the fabric has good stretch in the right places, pocket that work and a good length .... so a good pair of baggies such as these are also a great investment.http://dialdbikes.co.za/one-industries-atom-short-en.html

Howzit partydave *4x4communitywave   :D

Ok so I wont be out of place with baggies, Tshirt and tekkies then,   :clap:

Thanks Eddy will check for that. I was thinking of taking it for a full service somewhere so thanks for confirming that this is a good idea and the tip.

I've lined up a few bikes, one or 2 to confirm, to look at tomorrow. Seems I'm gonna be busy.

Silverback Mercury 1

Mongoose Otera Elite

Mongoose Otero Super

Raleigh Marathon 6

Giant Anthem X3

Silverback Spectra Comp 29

Giant Talon 4 650b

Last 2 are new and hard tail, others are soft tail. Some of them have had front shocks changed and so on.  I like what I read on the Anthem x3 but I'm not finding much info on the Silverback Mercury or Raleigh Marathon. 

I am eagerly awaiting the day that all trail riders use full face helmets that are light, well ventilated and safe.

Follow me I'm right behind you!

I try and use a full face at certain places, but also if its not hot.

Oh Nox, dont be hasty, you will find a nice AM rig sooner or later

Howzit partydave *4x4communitywave :D

Ok so I wont be out of place with baggies, Tshirt and tekkies then, :clap:

Thanks Eddy will check for that. I was thinking of taking it for a full service somewhere so thanks for confirming that this is a good idea and the tip.

I've lined up a few bikes, one or 2 to confirm, to look at tomorrow. Seems I'm gonna be busy.

Silverback Mercury 1

Mongoose Otera Elite

Mongoose Otero Super

Raleigh Marathon 6

Giant Anthem X3

Giant Talon 4 650b

Last 2 are new and hard tail, others are soft tail. Some of them have had front shocks changed and so on. I like what I read on the Anthem x3 but I'm not finding much info on the Silverback Mercury or Raleigh Marathon.

My 2c says Anthem as long as it's in good nick and we'll looked after.

Howzit partydave *4x4communitywave :D

Ok so I wont be out of place with baggies, Tshirt and tekkies then, :clap:

Silverback Mercury 1

Mongoose Otera Elite

Mongoose Otero Super

Raleigh Marathon 6

Giant Anthem X3

Giant Talon 4 650b

Last 2 are new and hard tail, others are soft tail. Some of them have had front shocks changed and so on. I like what I read on the Anthem x3 but I'm not finding much info on the Silverback Mercury or Raleigh Marathon.

My first proper bike was the Mongoose Otera Elite back in the day [the makro special didnt cut it, yes I started with a makro special, so ashamed :-)] and it was a great bike but couldn't really take the abuse and hard riding and the frame eventually gave in.

Had it welded and bolted but it was at the end of its life.

Bought a Merida AM 26er here on the hub a few years back and loving it, lots of mods and going strong.

I am still an old school 26er rider and reckon I will stay that way as long as parts are available.

Howzit partydave *4x4communitywave   :D

Ok so I wont be out of place with baggies, Tshirt and tekkies then,   :clap:

Silverback Mercury 1

Mongoose Otera Elite

Mongoose Otero Super

Raleigh Marathon 6

Giant Anthem X3

Giant Talon 4 650b

Last 2 are new and hard tail, others are soft tail. Some of them have had front shocks changed and so on.  I like what I read on the Anthem x3 but I'm not finding much info on the Silverback Mercury or Raleigh Marathon. 

Yo Nox,

These are all XC machines. Nice for crunching out the miles, but not built for the type of riding you're looking at doing (going by your recent post and what type of riding you favoured)

Coming from an MX background, you'll be wanting something that can take punishment - these bikes you've listed are NOT those, and as Allan said, they will not last under the type of riding you want to do. Maybe at a stretch the Otero Super and Anthem, but definitely not the rest. Even then, I'd recommend a 120mm fork on the front of both bikes... It really transforms the enjoyment factor, whilst slackening the head angle just enough. 

You'd be better served going for something with more than 120mm travel front and back, with a more relaxed head angle and better geometry. Don't listen to Porqui on the size side of things - at 1.83m tall you are FIRMLY in the large frame size bracket in new frame geometry, and at times on the XL side of things on öld school"geometry, especially for AM / Trail riding.

You WILL find bikes that suit this area, but they are more few and far between... Something like this would be perfect to start off with. Yes, it is an XL frame, but at your height, that's fine. It's the top tube and reach numbers that you have to have a look at, and you're not going to be fitting a dropper post any time soon... 

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/151325-giant-trance-x4/

Regarding the Volcan - stay away. Stay very far away. 

Good old board shorts over bibs also work very well ... the boardshorts protect you from abrasion in a fall and also prevents the bibs lycra from being torn ... tried and tested this a couple of times.

What I like about bibs is that they don't move or shift.

Riding One Industries baggies right now though, and must say they are rather comfortable and the fabric has good stretch in the right places, pocket that work and a good length .... so a good pair of baggies such as these are also a great investment.http://dialdbikes.co.za/one-industries-atom-short-en.html

This. 

At the moment, the Super 2r and Met Parachute are the only real options here... 

Must say - that MET looks great! And I want a 2R. But not at 3,500

Oh and another question.

Wheelsets and brake discs on the 26ers? Is this going to be a problem in the near future or far future?

Only things wheel size specific are the fork, tyres, wheels. That's it. All the rest is interchangeable. You'll always be able to find new ones, though tbh you may have to look online for some of the "better" options, but even then availability is brilliant - 4 - 7 days by courier, and it's here. Stoke has stock of GOOD sixer tyres though. 

Oh shoes - go with flat pedals and a grippy rubber flat sole shoe (there are plenty of threads on this).

You can always get cleats later if thats your thing, or invest in some 5-10s etc if you want to stick with flats. 

To reinforce here - flats for you, especially given that you're from moto and aren't used to being clipped to your steed. Also develops your skillset a lot faster than using cleats.

BTW - those plastic POS's that you get as standard pedals on bikes - those aren't flats. THESE are flats. http://www.moovebikeco.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/a/l/al2_org_800_1.jpg

See them pins? Yeah. That's what you need.

Not these. Nghhhhh

http://www.spokesandspanners.co.uk/405/standard-plastic-pedals-1-2-inch-thread.jpg

Archived