The I-Team

tombeej

In my mind I was ignoring the bad because I really really wanted to be part of I-team. I would have pushed through the shoulder pain to just even join for a few kms but today I got told to stay off the bike for 2 months. 

THIS was the year I actually road my bike/trained before the event and I really think that sub3 would have been possible with you guys.

If someone wants an entry contact me...  

I'll definitely be there on the day before and after to cheer the I-team!

That sucks, man. Heal up quick...

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In my mind I was ignoring the bad because I really really wanted to be part of I-team. I would have pushed through the shoulder pain to just even join for a few kms but today I got told to stay off the bike for 2 months. 

THIS was the year I actually road my bike/trained before the event and I really think that sub3 would have been possible with you guys.

Damn, sorry to hear that you got such a rough deal.

Heal up fast. As I said, don't try get back too soon, you could do more damage, better to take the prescribed time out and come back stronger. Get an IDT if you don't have one.

Good luck with the rolling paceline.

One thing I enjoy about riding KZN races, they seem to enjoy using it, compared to GP races. Maybe it's a numbers thing as every race I've done in KZN, had about 10-20 in a lead group or chasing group.

One thing I enjoy about riding KZN races, they seem to enjoy using it, compared to GP races. Maybe it's a numbers thing as every race I've done in KZN, had about 10-20 in a lead group or chasing group.

For some reason, most GP guys are too busy using us then attacking. Fortunately a couple of less selfish ones have worked together properly to the benefit of all ... 

Just smile and wave 

Biggest joke for me is only 5 guys out of 20 roll through and yet the bunch don't let you back in after pacing your lungs out  :blush:

It's how we roll ;)

That sucks! All the best with the healing and rehab.

So in those are rolling turns. You can also do a paceline which is sightly different.

(Some of this is blatantly copied from http://cyclingtips.com.au/2009/02/rolling-turns-pacelining-echeloning/)

Rolling turn

his is when you smoothly rotate through riders taking turns at the front.  The rider on the front will not be there for more than a few seconds before the next rider smoothly rolls through and pulls off in front of the guy he just passed. Once the rider rolling through pulls in front of the lead rider, he is now the lead rider and should back off the pace slightly so that the next rider pulling through can come around.

attachicon.gifRollingTurns.jpg

Paceline

This is when the rider at front will stay there for an extended period and then will then pull off and drift back in the group while the next rider will do the same.

attachicon.gifSinglePaceline.jpg

Single

attachicon.gifDoublePaceline.jpg

Double

So as far as I know, rolling turns are a little more difficult to organise. I've found that a paceline is easier to get a group to execute. It's also easier for some people to do more, and other to do less with a paceline.

Anyway, I'm not in the group, so my opinion does not count. But best to deiced before hand which you are going to do, so that it is clear to everyone.

I must agree with this sentiment. At our club rides we have tried the rolling thing but it is always relatively short lived and always ends up back as a pace line

Edited by Prince

I have checked a few times from people that did a 3:30. They covered the final 20Km in 38-42 minutes - I was so broken, that I did it in 39 minutes.

If you get to the 20Km (to go) point in 2:17 then you have 43 minutes.

Let me say again, it's definitely "doable".

I've created a segment on Strava for the final 20Km - just waiting for it to populate the leaderboard, then you can see the riders that did it in 35-45 minutes. It will be called 947 20Km to go.

Wow if you were broken and did it in 39min wonder what happened to me that it took me almost an hour  :blush: 

Wow if you were broken and did it in 39min wonder what happened to me that it took me almost an hour :blush:

It was the downhills - tuck in and hold on... [emoji1]

Wow if you were broken and did it in 39min wonder what happened to me that it took me almost an hour :blush:

You'll be fine.

Also took me almost an hour last year.

But then again i had half a handlebar, only a front brake and only front shifting left after my crash in ghandi square.

You'll be fine.

Also took me almost an hour last year.

But then again i had half a handlebar, only a front brake and only front shifting left after my crash in ghandi square.

So with half a bike it took and hour. So with a whole bike it would take half an hour. :whistling:

So collected my mtb pack today and drove down that first climb out of riversands. Called Mbendi climb on strava. Didn't realise how long it is and comes in at 4.2%. Not too steep but legs are cold

What is the groups strategy w.r.t that climb? That is my warmup. I don't warmup too well.

And strategy out of corners. Usually in Uncoordinated bunches, guys hammer out of corners.

Edit: spelling

Edited by Firozfx