The I-Team

tombeej

It was my worst ride at 947. I did ok for the 1st 35km but after that it felt as if I didn't have a right leg. I think I was a bit uncomfortable on my saddle and was sitting on some nerve or something. Had no power at all, got a headache and my neck was super stiff. Zaskar did some serious amount of waiting. He could have shaved off a month of his race time if he didn't wait but he is a true friend.
The last 3 weeks hadn't been great health wise and it showed. It got so bad I cheated in the last 12km and got pushed by Jules. You're welcome to flag my PBs on the last 3 hills :P 
I had a nice ice cream from a lady on Witkoppen. I think she was just a supporter on the route, wasn't at a waterpoint. 

Nice to see Anton again and to meet the other hubbers. Hope you achieved what you aimed for. I definitely didn't but next year.....always next year. Yellow number next year as well so extra motivation :) 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One suggestion for the next time this team thing is tried, it to have the cable ties vertical, and perhaps a bigger 2-D yellow dot? I found when riding at the back, my default position, that it was easier to spot the okes with vertical, than horizontal, cable ties.

As for getting split up in the pens, which led to confusion about the location of sub-groups, probably a fact of life? I suppose we could more easily stay in smaller pen groups and set rules about regrouping on Summit etc, but rules on such a fun day seem out of place. 

Guys please forgive if i don't remember your name, I really suck at names, almost forgot my wifes on our wedding day :whistling:

attachicon.gifpost-63215-0-51368500-1447654172.jpg

From Left to Right:

BMW, Sorry ??, Patchman in the Black and white, Fat Boab, Yours truly with the strapped up knees, the One and only Sheriff, Cadre, Mrs/Miss Carpet, Sorry??, Lurch, Shaper, Dom, Bouncing Brain, Monkey on a bianchi

1st on the left Grant - Aka BMW1za 

I must say one thing this 'idea' has brought upon me is that I feel like a person on drugs...I started riding distance in August this year (after almost 3 years of just 30-40km max rides) and on top of that most miles in the last 3 months on my road bike, this bug has bitten like I never thought possible.

I can not wait for January to start training/riding more! 

I want more!  ^_^

@ Monkey .. Well done, so it turns out we were trying to bridge to the guys who were in actual fact behind us... Sighhh... hands over eyes(lol)

I didnt even see everybody passing me , and i was on the side of the road several times doing pilates (stretching cramps out like a spazz)

there is power in a group working together, looking forward to trying it again.

Cheers

I must say one thing this 'idea' has brought upon me is that I feel like a person on drugs...I started riding distance in August this year (after almost 3 years of just 30-40km max rides) and on top of that most miles in the last 3 months on my road bike, this bug has bitten like I never thought possible.

I want more!  ^_^

I have to agree, even though I only put in a short distance with some of the group it was still awesome working towards a common goal.

Well done to the I Train.

From a passive observer that keenly followed this thread, I commend everbody's efforts.

Just a few points to pose about the challenges that made this a difficult initiative.

1. The logistics in doing this at 94.7 were the start was absolutely chaotic. There are just too many people in the morning trying to find their way to the start line.

2. The start batches are huge. Difficult to get a large bunch of riders together towards the front of the batch. May work if everybody starts at the back but that defeats the purpose of your goal of a good time.

3. The nature of the course. No real flat sections apart for the M1 drag (well that's how it felt for me anyway) to favour bunch riding. Lots of ups and downs, so that the group constantly breaks up on both the ups and downs with few flats in between to regroup.

4. In an event like this you cannot prevent others from joining your train. Makes it difficult to have a cohesive group.

Anyway, despite these challenges, it was a good effort. Hoping to join a Hub "I" train in an upcoming race soon.

Well done.

I want more!  ^_^

Why wait until January - plenty of base training opportunity between now and then? ;)

Ok so I had a series of misses .Misjudged the traffic and got to the venue way early.

Then missed the group at the meeting spot. Ended up at the front of "I" start with all the cable ties behind me ( forgot to put mine on :wacko: but did write my name on ) started slow and waited for the team up Pooks Hill and followed Carpet and Sheriff to the top.

Right turn onto Summit and BMW1ZA goes past me and i'm boxed in.

Sheriff catches me just before the M1 but I cant hang onto his wheel so did my own thing to the end.

No 10 in the bag so all good!

I agree with the comments above. Very difficult to manage in such a big race with 619 in the start group!

@FatBoab...  great chatting in the startpen... you had me in stitches  :w00t:

Likewise! That'll teach you to check out a couple of 'hot' chicks.... :whistling:

Why wait until January - plenty of base training opportunity between now and then? ;)

The whole of December I am in Canada (and it is going to be VERY cold) 

Hey Guys

I had a great ride yesterday( Except dropping my chain on the Steyn City Downhill). I landed up finishing in 3h08.Which is a PB for me.

Thanks Dom for the help through the CBD, sorry that I was not able to stick with you for longer.

While it didn't work perfectly yesterday it was great looking out for the I team and working with the guys where possible. Hopefully next time we are able to stick together a bit better and make the sub 3 happen.