New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

1 hour ago, Wayne Potgieter said:

Anyone on here into snow skiing - I am afraid the bug has bitten us hard on this.

Looking to try and source some second hand stuff and avoid the long lines at rental places.

Oh yes. I'm busy booking 10 days in Niseko for December... 

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, GrahamS2 said:

Oh yes. I'm busy booking 10 days in Niseko for December... 

I spent an unhealthy amount of time on Youtube looking at Japan skiing.

I am super keen to go as well.

2 minutes ago, Wayne Potgieter said:

I spent an unhealthy amount of time on Youtube looking at Japan skiing.

I am super keen to go as well.

I used to ski in Bad Gastein, Austria every year when I lived in SA. Never been to Japan but I'm very keen to go. My girlfriend lived there for 5 years in her 20's, and she said the snow in Sapporo region is next level.

Just now, GrahamS2 said:

I used to ski in Bad Gastein, Austria every year when I lived in SA. Never been to Japan but I'm very keen to go. My girlfriend lived there for 5 years in her 20's, and she said the snow in Sapporo region is next level.

Probably telling you what you already know, but I recently met a travelling ski instructor who was carrying out a season in NZ and his view was of all the places he has instructed in worldwide, Japan was the best. He spoke about the powder like a man possessed.

1 hour ago, Wayne Potgieter said:

Anyone on here into snow skiing - I am afraid the bug has bitten us hard on this.

Looking to try and source some second hand stuff and avoid the long lines at rental places.

I've done a grand total of 2hrs on skis and 2hrs on snowboard at Snow Planet. It looks like something I'd really enjoy and all of our close friend group ski, so we accompany them on trips, but we usually end up doing something else during the day, haha!

I have a fear of failure and my stingy-ness prevent me. (plus my wife used to ski as a kid but didn't love it). 

I have told myself that this year I'd give it a go, even if just for one day of the trip. So if the gang head down to Queenstown I'll try my luck. (I know Ruapehu is closer but I've heard those slopes are terrible for beginners. Crowded and icy).

I do also really really want to try this next time I'm in QT during snow season

snowmoto snowbike timbersled and yetisnowmx heli skiing snowmobile

https://www.snowmoto.co.nz/

13 minutes ago, patches said:

I've done a grand total of 2hrs on skis and 2hrs on snowboard at Snow Planet. It looks like something I'd really enjoy and all of our close friend group ski, so we accompany them on trips, but we usually end up doing something else during the day, haha!

I have a fear of failure and my stingy-ness prevent me. (plus my wife used to ski as a kid but didn't love it). 

I have told myself that this year I'd give it a go, even if just for one day of the trip. So if the gang head down to Queenstown I'll try my luck. (I know Ruapehu is closer but I've heard those slopes are terrible for beginners. Crowded and icy).

I do also really really want to try this next time I'm in QT during snow season

snowmoto snowbike timbersled and yetisnowmx heli skiing snowmobile

https://www.snowmoto.co.nz/

Im keen to meet up at Snowplanet if you are....

Hello all.

We moved to Auckland literally a few days ago... :) We are currently staying on the North Shore near Glenfield/Birkenhead.

I brought my MTB over, its in its box. Which LBS would be recommended to build it up again? ANd what kind of cost should I be looking at?

Byron

On 7/25/2022 at 1:28 AM, Wayne Potgieter said:

My 5 cents tip, having done the beginners thing with both disciplines……overall I found skiing easier than snowboarding. That being said I prefer boarding and my ski’s hardly get used. We opted to buy our own ski’s, boards and boots, in the long term it’s easier and cheaper.

Used to ski regularly when I lived in the UK - the typical week at a time thing they do in Europe, occasionally two.

I learned to ski, then tried snow boarding, but the learning curve on snowboard is steep (although apparently shorter) but after catch edges for two days decided I'd prefer to spend the rest of the week skiing.

My thoughts are that you want your own clothing. (I bought a mountain climbing dungaree thing that was on special at the time and wear that with a fleece and goretex type jacket - I've been in blizzards, and it's been 100%.  You don't need the flash stuff. I've skied in jeans/fleece before if the weather is fine. 

And you want your own boots that fit properly.

Ski's change over time, they are worth hiring, if you can hire the flavour of the moment, or whatever you feel like trying at the time.   That said, I did buy carving ski's which are languishing in a mate's attic in the UK that I'd dearly like to have here.

I can't get over the price of skiing here - it's flpn huge.

I learned too late tho' - too much inbuilt fear/self preservation.  You need to learn when you are 5 and don't know better...

But skiing, and drinking beer at a pub by the river on a sunny Sunday afternoon are about the only things I miss about living in the UK...

Edit: the skiing mad Kiwi I used to work with when I first arrived used to go to Japan.  He said it was cheaper and better.

Edited by davetapson

Question: I can't get a refund paid by SARS as I have bank accounts registered in SARS mobi app and they won't refund overseas until the bank accounts are removed - but it is not possible to remove the accounts via the mobi app.  I need "to get my tax representative to go to SARS and ask them to remove the accounts"

Any idea of the best way to get a 'tax representative'.  I have no other requirements of a tax representative than to go to SARS and tell them to remove my accounts... hopefully then, I'm am shot of the whole sorry mess that is SARS.

PS: I have removed my accounts using eFiling website.  The accounts are sill registered in mobi app.  WTF?

Edited by davetapson

22 hours ago, ByronH said:

Hello all.

We moved to Auckland literally a few days ago... :) We are currently staying on the North Shore near Glenfield/Birkenhead.

I brought my MTB over, its in its box. Which LBS would be recommended to build it up again? ANd what kind of cost should I be looking at?

Byron

Welcome! Glenfield is just across the highway from me. I'm in Milford (just north of Takapuna). I do however spend a lot of time in Glenfield/Wairau at 2 large hardware stores 😅

As for LBS, that's a good question. Lewis & Co (bespoke high end bike shop in Ponsonby) was the go to place for those who are serious about top notch service and expertise. Sadly they are no more, so an chain store like Evo Cycles, Torpedo7 or 99Bikes is likely the easiest to get a booking.

From Glenfield you could try either Kiwi Velo or 99 Bikes in Takapuna (both on Barry's Point Road).

A bike build will likely be an hourly charge. Kiwi velo is about $110/hr. 99Bikes offers a "Build from Box" service, but doesn't have a price. I'd imagine also in the order of $100/hr.

How knocked-down is your bike? Just the standard wheels, bars, pedals and saddle removed?

2 hours ago, patches said:

Welcome! Glenfield is just across the highway from me. I'm in Milford (just north of Takapuna). I do however spend a lot of time in Glenfield/Wairau at 2 large hardware stores 😅

As for LBS, that's a good question. Lewis & Co (bespoke high end bike shop in Ponsonby) was the go to place for those who are serious about top notch service and expertise. Sadly they are no more, so an chain store like Evo Cycles, Torpedo7 or 99Bikes is likely the easiest to get a booking.

From Glenfield you could try either Kiwi Velo or 99 Bikes in Takapuna (both on Barry's Point Road).

A bike build will likely be an hourly charge. Kiwi velo is about $110/hr. 99Bikes offers a "Build from Box" service, but doesn't have a price. I'd imagine also in the order of $100/hr.

How knocked-down is your bike? Just the standard wheels, bars, pedals and saddle removed?

I would just build it up myself personally, find a local hubber that side who might have the correct tools.
If its in a box it can't be that stripped down, surely just wheels, seat, brakes, etc. ......

5 hours ago, patches said:

Come on, just offer to help hom out for a Bundaberg in return..it will take you less time and we all can build a bike better than any oke at any Torpedo7, etc etc!!!! 

(Have i told you yet that we make Bundaberg at my work!)

2 hours ago, Steven Knoetze (sk27) said:

I would just build it up myself personally, find a local hubber that side who might have the correct tools.
If its in a box it can't be that stripped down, surely just wheels, seat, brakes, etc. ......

Yip! Just do it yourself.

If you have kids around the age of 4 years old, I'll do it for a play date in return. 

On 7/26/2022 at 4:41 PM, ByronH said:

Hello all.

Byron

I have a full set of Pedro's bike tools and live in Orewa on the north shore.

You are welcome to use the tools and a few of us get together and we can watch you build it whilst critiquing you?

(nah, will help you build it up) can even help with tubeless setups and everything.