New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

Hi Hayley

You still looking for ZAR's. Have just landed in NZ and looking to offload some SA Rands.

Yes!

PM me ..

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I spent the long weekend in the company of 3 Australians (all very avid cricket fans), and it was fun to tease them about recent events, hahaha

I did however come across this article, and it kinda put things into perspective

https://www.mamamia.com.au/why-are-we-outraged-about-ball-tampering/

And I guess this is part of the ugly side to life in Aus/NZ. Domestic violence.

For those who don't have time for the longish read, basically the question is posed as to why Australians are so disappointed in their cricketers for ball tampering, and why is it such a big deal when there are other sportsmen (particularly NRL players) who physically abuse their partners, and they don't seem to suffer consequences or bring nearly as much shame to Aussie sport as a bit of ball tampering.

Food for thought.

Edited by patches

I've basically been turned off watching NRL because of the constant scandals, bad behavior by players and the fact that all games are sponsored by either fast food, alcohol or bookies (or often all 3 at once).

Matt Lodge is the latest example but there are many others.

But the ball tampering thing has been out of control here, it's gone way past a joke how seriously it's been taken.

I've basically been turned off watching NRL because of the constant scandals, bad behavior by players and the fact that all games are sponsored by either fast food, alcohol or bookies (or often all 3 at once).

Matt Lodge is the latest example but there are many others.

But the ball tampering thing has been out of control here, it's gone way past a joke how seriously it's been taken.

Bogans

For all the avid fisherpersons in Auckland...

I'm looking for some fishing spots near the city where one can catch snapper from the shore. Is there anything like that?

I went fishing in the Bay of Islands over the long weekend and it was awesome. I don't own a boat though so thought I might try from a pier or something near the city, from time to time.

Patches I think you can fish of the rocks at Waiwera, haven't done so myself (being a boatie). But search the fishing.net.nz forums, heaps of help there...

Happy birthday to two Hubbers on this thread!

Nolan and Hayley.

May the coming year be everything you dream of and more!

Happy birthday to two Hubbers on this thread!

Nolan and Hayley.

May the coming year be everything you dream of and more!

Ah thank you!

I woke up this morning with everything exactly as I always dreamt of having (well maybe being kicked in my ribs from the outside would be one step better than being kicked from the inside) but all right there - a living dream :)

Ah thank you!

I woke up this morning with everything exactly as I always dreamt of having (well maybe being kicked in my ribs from the outside would be one step better than being kicked from the inside) but all right there - a living dream :)

Happy birthday Hayley

One of the things I love the most about living in NZ is the sense of community. Last night there was a pretty bad storm that hit Auckland. Fierce winds that knocked over trees and sent trampolines into the air. Many houses this morning have no power due to the storm.

This morning I wake up to find the Auckland Council representative responsible for tree and garden maintenance, has shared her personal mobile and email details all over our social media to get people to let her know where the problems are so that she can get the council teams to sort it out quickly.

While that was going on, our local buy/sell Facebook groups were filling up with posts of people offering hot cups of coffee and a hot shower to anyone without electricity. Not only offering friends, but complete strangers. Inviting people to their homes to charge mobile devices and just have a good chat over a hot beverage.

These are some of the reasons I am grateful to live in a place where the person in the street is your friend and not your enemy.

One of the things I love the most about living in NZ is the sense of community. Last night there was a pretty bad storm that hit Auckland. Fierce winds that knocked over trees and sent trampolines into the air. Many houses this morning have no power due to the storm.

This morning I wake up to find the Auckland Council representative responsible for tree and garden maintenance, has shared her personal mobile and email details all over our social media to get people to let her know where the problems are so that she can get the council teams to sort it out quickly.

While that was going on, our local buy/sell Facebook groups were filling up with posts of people offering hot cups of coffee and a hot shower to anyone without electricity. Not only offering friends, but complete strangers. Inviting people to their homes to charge mobile devices and just have a good chat over a hot beverage.

These are some of the reasons I am grateful to live in a place where the person in the street is your friend and not your enemy.

That last line, seems like a pretty amazing place.

I spent the long weekend in the company of 3 Australians (all very avid cricket fans), and it was fun to tease them about recent events, hahaha

There's your problem right there :P

Here's some NZ good. Yesterday I applied to the Uni of Waikato to study economics and political science (the useless Labour government gives everyone their first year of study free, so instead of taking the principled stance against such largesse, I decided to rather avail myself of it). Applied around midday yesterday; this morning I received my acceptance letter. Didn't even have to provide any documentation at all, not even matric certificate which I seem to have lost somewhere along the way.

Was fully expecting the acceptance letter to be a rejection letter...darn, now I have to study ha ha