New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

Do you guys here use a forum in nz? Like bike hub? A cycling/mtb forum ( especially here in Auckland)

I don't. Sad reality is that there isn't really one.

There are a few groups of FB that dominate the classifieds side of things. A mate and I trialled a very basic version of the Bike Hub, but with FB groups being the go-to it didn't gain much traction (and we were lazy). If it did hit off we may have expanded into the forum side.

So yeah, that is one thing SA definitely wins on... the Hub!

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sad to think (for us) that that's not even 10% of the value of our house we bought here where we will basically be arms length away from our neighbors (at least we have a bit of a coastal view). Crazy.

Sheesh!

Is that how crazy the market has gone! If I recall correctly you guys were originally feeling that around the $1m mark was where you wanted to be.

If people's budgets have to increase 1.5-2x where they were about a year ago, it paints a grim picture for nearly all first time buyers from here on out.

How good was the sailing yesterday?!?!?!

Damn!  

It's amazing how up and down you go with this damn stuff. 

They lose a race and you think, ok, that's it, they'll never win another, series is over, they've lost.  Then they win one, and you go, yeah, ok, now it's just going to be a walk-over for the rest of the series... 

But that last race, you'd not have believed that if it was written as a movie.  Prada with it's big jib and and big feet and it can sail in lighter winds busy floundering backwards and forwards out of the course trying to get up on it's foils while ETNZ with it's small jib and small feet and can't sail in light winds sails away... 

Kinda feels like there must be an Indian betting syndicate involved somewhere...  :D 

Hi NZ blockes.. im looking at bikes. New mtb, eye is on the Trance 2 29er and a disk road bike eye on the AR 3.

As you might know stock is a major issue atm in NZ.

Give me some shops you recommend? And TBH if i can i will bot use evo or torpedo as they feel like dealing with cycle lab. Have had numerous bad experiences with both. Would really prefer a local bike shop. Im in Auckland but if they courier doesnt matter where they are.

I don't. Sad reality is that there isn't really one.

There are a few groups of FB that dominate the classifieds side of things. A mate and I trialled a very basic version of the Bike Hub, but with FB groups being the go-to it didn't gain much traction (and we were lazy). If it did hit off we may have expanded into the forum side.

So yeah, that is one thing SA definitely wins on... the Hub!

Yeah i misd the local chatter such as what race, what park, group ride, reviews all focused on local

Damn!  

It's amazing how up and down you go with this damn stuff. 

They lose a race and you think, ok, that's it, they'll never win another, series is over, they've lost.  Then they win one, and you go, yeah, ok, now it's just going to be a walk-over for the rest of the series... 

But that last race, you'd not have believed that if it was written as a movie.  Prada with it's big jib and and big feet and it can sail in lighter winds busy floundering backwards and forwards out of the course trying to get up on it's foils while ETNZ with it's small jib and small feet and can't sail in light winds sails away... 

Kinda feels like there must be an Indian betting syndicate involved somewhere...  :D 

Reminds me of the Ryder Cup

How good was the sailing yesterday?!?!?!

And again.

A mix of St Paddy's day and a win this evening and the Viaduct will take off...

Hi NZ blockes.. im looking at bikes. New mtb, eye is on the Trance 2 29er and a disk road bike eye on the AR 3.

Give me some shops you recommend? And TBH if i can i will bot use evo or torpedo as they feel like dealing with cycle lab. Have had numerous bad experiences with both. Would really prefer a local bike shop. Im in Auckland but if they courier doesnt matter where they are.

Going on price alone I have always ended up at Evo for 3 of our bikes. I have used them on a warranty with no issues.

Also had great service from Mount Eden Cycles for 2 bikes, but they are limited to Specialized and Pivot.

Have also used Cyco as they are huge supporters of the Auckland School Series. Think they are mostly Trek though.

99 bikes has really good pricing, but Ive never bought from them

I bought from Torpedo, but simply based on price.

For a Giant Trance they're probably still a decent bet, even though they do have the Cyclelab vibe. I'd buy from them, but service elsewhere.

For anything more exotic or servicing, Lewis & Co in Ponsonby is one worth looking at. They sell all the nice things that one can't get in the regular stores, and have a knowledgeable team.

No

Its the nicer houses than the old vrot colonial ones scattered about,and I don't want a farm and it suits a lock up and go.

Edit

I thought I would just share the view from the front step

Damn!! Beautiful. I could wake up to that view!

A different: I don't know if it's been mentioned before, but the terrain (esp in Auckland) is just different to, to be sure, Benoni.

My average neighbourhood ride gives me the same sort of ascent as I had to drive to get on the Oos Rondt.

Running is a different story altogether.  You better get used to the idea of running up and down great flipn hills just as your normal run.  You might be able to navigate a flattish course if you tried... actually, no, I'm not sure it would even be that flat. Not on the shore, anyway.  Need to go do the Mission Bay / St Helliers thing for that.  Driving to get the lack of ascent vs driving to get some ascent...

A different: I don't know if it's been mentioned before, but the terrain (esp in Auckland) is just different to, to be sure, Benoni.

My average neighbourhood ride gives me the same sort of ascent as I had to drive to get on the Oos Rondt.

Running is a different story altogether.  You better get used to the idea of running up and down great flipn hills just as your normal run.  You might be able to navigate a flattish course if you tried... actually, no, I'm not sure it would even be that flat. Not on the shore, anyway.  Need to go do the Mission Bay / St Helliers thing for that.  Driving to get the lack of ascent vs driving to get some ascent...

Preach Brother!

My 21.1km route has a monster 14% gradient hill in it. I do 3 laps to get the 21.1 km distance so I do that hill 3 bloody times.

But at least it makes me stronger!