New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If any of you are considering studying in NZ then the free years tertiary study is now active.

Looks like my Degree just got a whole lot cheaper.

I'm signing up in 2019. Would have done next year, but away in SA for 2 months.

• 2 weeks later...

So.... Sooooo.....

It seems like I'll have a NZ citizen in my house from end of June next year ...not me though :D

Wow! Congrats HA! Jy gaan 'n epic ma wees!

Edited by nox1111

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all.

Been quite different this December, no beer! AND no biking!! 

Happy 2018 all!! 

Been good being back in SA  :)

Ok so finally taking the big step!!Flying in Mid Febr to Auckland to come do some job hunting. Have 1 or 2 contacts that side but still need to setup some more appointments.

Hold thumbs!!! Took us like forever to make up our minds but now fully committed to make it work.

Any advice on good recruiting agencies that specialize in the IT sector?

Ok so finally taking the big step!!Flying in Mid Febr to Auckland to come do some job hunting. Have 1 or 2 contacts that side but still need to setup some more appointments.

Hold thumbs!!! Took us like forever to make up our minds but now fully committed to make it work.

+1 on Seek.

What may also be of use, is the Accredited Employer list.

For 2 reasons.

Firstly, if you find something on Seek and it mentions the employer, you can check if they are on the list. If they are it offers you an alternative to the Skilled Migrant Visa, by going the Work to Residence route. There are pros and cons to each, and I can only speak from my experience with the Work to Residence route, but it was a pretty easy process, without having to count points and pass language tests and all that jazz.

Secondly, you could use the Accredited Employers list in reverse...

ie. Filter by all the IT companies, then go through that list to see if there are any potentials (maybe they have a 'Careers' section on their websites etc). It sounds like a lot of legwork, but the fact that the companies have gone through the trouble to register as accredited employers means that they are usually quite happy to hire foreigners and sponsor visas.

Anyway, just a thought that may/may not help.

Edited by patches

I used www.enterprise.co.nz

It took them a while to respond to my enquiries but became very helpful when they heard that I had my job seeking ticket booked - I guess they had too many no-shows in the past.

https://www.absoluteit.co.nz/

they look to be "seeking" a good few Archictural staff members  :ph34r:  ..... just fun to "look" for now, but NZ does "look interesting" 

I work in the AEC (Architecture, Engineering, Constriuction) industry. Quite a few employment opportunities in this line of work. Especially if one is BIM savvy.

I have a number of contacts with the leading architectural firms (Jasmax, Woods Baggot, Warren & Mahoney), if you need any steering in that direction.