New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

BUT it only comes with a gas braai!

Airbnb my cousin stayed in last night near Hokonui....wherever that might be

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone that only has a SA passport got a new passport while in SA on holiday while obviously arriving on your old one?

Did you present your old one at the airport on your way out?

Did they accept your old one with the visa linked to it at arrival in your new country of residence?

Did the old one show up as invalid ?

Anyone that only has a SA passport got a new passport while in SA on holiday while obviously arriving on your old one?

Did you present your old one at the airport on your way out?

Did they accept your old one with the visa linked to it at arrival in your new country of residence?

Did the old one show up as invalid ?

I have friends that did this last year. Their situations were as follows:

• husband's passport was expiring soon (less than the required 6 months)
  • wife's passport has over 6 month, but was still worth renewing
  • both were on Work to Resident visas at the time
  • both applied for new passports while in SA
  • husband had his old one deactivated as he knew he couldn't re-enter NZ on it
  • wife got a letter from NZ employer's SA office to justify second passport, so both remain active
  • husband had to apply to get Work Visa transferred to new passport number (while in SA) before he could return to NZ (INZ stated that he couldn't simply just show the old passport that it was linked to)
  • wife didn't transfer her visa while in SA, and returned to NZ on old passport and transferred visa once back in NZ
  • husband had to delay return to SA until his visa was transferred. INZ stated 12 working days. I think it took about 16 due to backlog

So it seems it can be done either way depending on a) how long you will have left on your current passport when you plan to return to NZ.

If still valid for over 6 months, then try get the letter that allows dual passports and travel back on your old.

If not valid for at least 6 months then you will have to transfer NZ visa over while in SA before returning to NZ on your new passport.

Hope that helps!

One of the bad things I have recently noticed...

*insert first world problems meme here*

Electronics pricing and "specials"

I am in the market for a new TV and have been watching the pricing of a specific model I am interested in. Here's the way it has fluctuated over the past few weeks.

post-10758-0-29831200-1554408180_thumb.png

So as you can see 4 weeks ago it was a pretty good deal at about $1388. I decided to hold out only to see the price shoot back up to about $1850 (a significant increase). It stayed at that price for a few weeks, so I figured it was the RRP. The other day I saw that same retailer advertise a "MASSIVE SALE" on TV's etc, so I went online and saw it had been marked UP to $2298, and now even more expensive than the model up from it. So the "sale" was worse than the baseline price I had been watching for the past few weeks.

I decided to email them and question their logic, pointing out that it was nearly $500 more than their previous price and nearly $1000 more than their last sale price, plus it was now more expensive than the fancier version.

They replied and explained that their prices are set by what their competitors sell it at and since the others had all put the price up, they put theirs up too and in their eyes it was still below their perceived RRP so it was still a good deal at $2298.

Shortly after their reply to me they did adjust the price (whether or not it was as a result of my email, I don't know)... but this is what they did...

Lower the TV price by $100 (so still not a "Special")...

... and RAISE the price of the model up, (possibly because I pointed out that the lower model was now more expensive).

So yeah, as I mentioned first world problems, but it's pretty bad that retailers can throw words like "Massive Sale!" and "Special" on any price they thumbsuck, as long as it is inline with what their competitors are doing, even if that pricing is worse than it was before when it "wasn't on sale".

Fortunately Noel Leeming and JB Hifi both now have the TV for under $1400, so I may play Harvey Norman off them, hahaha  :ph34r: :lol:

One of the bad things I have recently noticed...

*insert first world problems meme here*

Electronics pricing and "specials"

I am in the market for a new TV and have been watching the pricing of a specific model I am interested in. Here's the way it has fluctuated over the past few weeks.

attachicon.gif2019-04-05_09h01_59.png

So as you can see 4 weeks ago it was a pretty good deal at about $1388. I decided to hold out only to see the price shoot back up to about $1850 (a significant increase). It stayed at that price for a few weeks, so I figured it was the RRP. The other day I saw that same retailer advertise a "MASSIVE SALE" on TV's etc, so I went online and saw it had been marked UP to $2298, and now even more expensive than the model up from it. So the "sale" was worse than the baseline price I had been watching for the past few weeks.

I decided to email them and question their logic, pointing out that it was nearly $500 more than their previous price and nearly $1000 more than their last sale price, plus it was now more expensive than the fancier version.

They replied and explained that their prices are set by what their competitors sell it at and since the others had all put the price up, they put theirs up too and in their eyes it was still below their perceived RRP so it was still a good deal at $2298.

Shortly after their reply to me they did adjust the price (whether or not it was as a result of my email, I don't know)... but this is what they did...

Lower the TV price by $100 (so still not a "Special")...

... and RAISE the price of the model up, (possibly because I pointed out that the lower model was now more expensive).

So yeah, as I mentioned first world problems, but it's pretty bad that retailers can throw words like "Massive Sale!" and "Special" on any price they thumbsuck, as long as it is inline with what their competitors are doing, even if that pricing is worse than it was before when it "wasn't on sale".

Fortunately Noel Leeming and JB Hifi both now have the TV for under $1400, so I may play Harvey Norman off them, hahaha  :ph34r: :lol:

Hi Patches

I am in the same boat - also waiting for the price to come back down:

I am looking at both 55 and 65 inch versions of the TCL models (6 Series).

Out of interest, what are you looking at if you don't mind sharing?

post-56935-0-89496400-1554412928_thumb.jpg

Hi Patches

I am in the same boat - also waiting for the price to come back down:

I am looking at both 55 and 65 inch versions of the TCL models (6 Series).

Out of interest, what are you looking at if you don't mind sharing?

Hi Saag

I'm looking at the Sony 4K 65" Android TV. (KD65X7500F)..

https://www.noelleeming.co.nz/shop/televisions/televisions/ultra-hd-4k-televisions/60-69-uhd-tvs/sony-kd65x7500f-65-ultra-hd-4k-hdr-smart-android-television/prod162473.html

I quite like the android TV's so the TCL is also a good choice!

Hi Saag

I'm looking at the Sony 4K 65" Android TV. (KD65X7500F)..

https://www.noelleeming.co.nz/shop/televisions/televisions/ultra-hd-4k-televisions/60-69-uhd-tvs/sony-kd65x7500f-65-ultra-hd-4k-hdr-smart-android-television/prod162473.html

I quite like the android TV's so the TCL is also a good choice!

Thanx for sharing Patches, that one is also on my short list (now) :-)

I am also a sucker for Android, which is why I am leaning towards the TCL 6 Series 65", which has Android with the great Roku system on.

Basically the following reviews are why I am considering for the first time ever to go with something other than Samsung.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/4/17417402/tcl-6-series-tv-review-4k-hdr-dolby-vision-price-specs

https://www.cnet.com/reviews/tcl-55r615-2018-roku-tv-review/

https://www.techradar.com/au/reviews/tcl-6-series-r615-r617

But, this is always a personal choice, so not trying to convince you of anything here FYI.

Like buying a bike .......buy what you like, use it and be happy  :whistling:

Out of all the TV discussion, my greatest interest is in the price-watching graphs. Where do you get that information?

JB Hi Fi in particular are renowned for hoiking up their prices quietly, and then a week later putting on a big yellow sticker with 30% (or whatever) off and dropping it back to about what it was earlier.

Basically a case of Buyer, Beware. Shop around and pay no attention to the promoted notional discount. 

Out of all the TV discussion, my greatest interest is in the price-watching graphs. Where do you get that information?

Similiar, but using:

https://pricespy.co.nz

Very handy on anything almost that one buys in NZ.

Yup! Also using Price Spy.

I like the alert feature which allows one to set a trigger price and then if the item flagged dips below that you will be notified.

It's the sorta game you gotta play in NZ where everything is "On Sale" when it's not really.