New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

That is how it should be..................you cannot expect to be a citizen of a country and not be able to speak their language !

A good system  to keep the refugees out also................

Well that's the problem now isn't it. It doesn't apply to them and they actually have no claim to get one, plus they are only leeches to the country as they are not allowed to work in most instances. 

And I don't see any of our guys here learning Maori now do you???

What sickens me more is how if you have money you can buy your way into any country...

Hell my wife and I have alot to offer NZ or AUS but without being on the short skills list it makes it an absolute mission to get. As if selling everything and moving so far isn't enough of a task in itself.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay so looks like my wife and I are now on the same page regarding our future in SA, it helps that her sister moved to NZ late last year.

It still a 2 year plan to get to NZ but at least we are now aligned.

Starting over is going to be tough but it is kind of exciting as well.

I have been watching numerous NZ hiking vids over the last few days.

Where would be the best place to register my CV and interest to immigrate? Apologies, I am sure that this has been requested numerous times before.

That is how it should be..................you cannot expect to be a citizen of a country and not be able to speak their language !

This rule does not apply to refugees at all. They get into the country much easier. Most from many years ago still live an 'isolated' life in France because they can not speak the language (hence can't get jobs etc etc so that's how that crime figures are rising)

Residency approved yesterday!!   :clap:

2 yrs to PR...  :D

Congrats!

First thing I did when I got residency was sign up for Kiwisaver. An extra 3% salary for mahala!

This rule does not apply to refugees at all. They get into the country much easier. Most from many years ago still live an 'isolated' life in France because they can not speak the language (hence can't get jobs etc etc so that's how that crime figures are rising)

Typical..............very sad  :thumbdown:

Its happening in my country too ( Italy ) 

Funny thing is that it's only a requirement for the spouse.

My wife is 5th gen Italian and started lessons as she figured we can't be getting citizenship if we can't speak the language. Stickers all over the house, especially in "la cucina" and against "il frigo".... 

I haven't started lessons yet and only recently found out that as a spouse I need to pass a basic Italian test... "merda". It does help that when I walk through "la porta della cucina" I see Italian post-it notes all over.

Where would be the best place be to try and find employment in the Contract Management (cleaning sector) or Facilities Management fields? 

I heard Auckland is crazy expensive, but I would prefer to be based as far north as possible, so the South Island would not be my first choice?

My prelim eligibility assessment gives me 175 points, with "Job Offer (50)" and "Job offer offer outside of Auckland (30)" included. What does this mean, do I get an extra 30 points for an offer outside of Auckland?

Where would be the best place be to try and find employment in the Contract Management (cleaning sector) or Facilities Management fields? 

I heard Auckland is crazy expensive, but I would prefer to be based as far north as possible, so the South Island would not be my first choice?

My prelim eligibility assessment gives me 175 points, with "Job Offer (50)" and "Job offer offer outside of Auckland (30)" included. What does this mean, do I get an extra 30 points for an offer outside of Auckland?

yes you get 30 points for job offer outside Auckland

Yes, as MTBeer mentioned you can only claim those points if your employment i outside of Auckland.

I don't know if they still offer (I think it ended a while ago), but they used to add points if your employment was in Canterbury/Christchurch and related to the rebuild.

As for contract management in the FM sector, here are some of the bigger names in NZ FM:

• Spotless (Taylors is their laundry/cleaning division. We use them at the hospital)
  • Cushman & Wakefield
  • Aquaheat (our current FM contractor)
  • PAE (our former FM contractor)

PAE is on the accredited employer list, so if you manage to get a job with them and go the Talent - Accredited Employer visa route, then no points system, no English test, and no issue with working in Auckland... except that it's Auckland  :ph34r: :lol:

The other option is to go client-side for one of the bigger owner-operators with campus-type assets These for the most part are on the accredited employer list

• Universities
  • Health Boards
  • Auckland International Airports Limited
  • Air New Zealand
  • SkyCity (Similar to Sun International. Hospitality etc)
  • NZDF (New Zealand Defence Force)
  • Fisher & Paykel (3 separate businesses. Healthcare, Appliances, Production Machinery. hayleyearth will know best about them)

But yeah, if you can find yourself a job for someone on this list then getting a visa becomes a whole lot easier, and cheaper.

Congrats!

First thing I did when I got residency was sign up for Kiwisaver. An extra 3% salary for mahala!

It depends how your contact is set up, if we at FPH want to go onto Kiwisaver they will take the portion the company needs to pay from your salary package, so in the end you get less into your bank account but that money goes into Kiwisaver....

The agreed amount on our offers is what the company pays to have us here, how we choose to have the money is our choice. (Kiwisaver or not)

Edited by hayleyearth

It depends how your contact is set up, if we at FPH want to go onto Kiwisaver they will take the portion the company needs to pay from your salary package, so in the end you get less into your bank account but that money goes into Kiwisaver....

The agreed amount on our offers is what the company pays to have us here, how we choose to have the money is our choice. (Kiwisaver or not)

Yup! WSP was the same. They work on a CTC (cost to company) basis, so no extra 3%.

It would be interesting to know as a percentage how many employers adopt the CTC approach vs the +3% one. I thought WSP was one of the few that was stingy. Good to know they're not the only ones, haha!

Here at the Auckland District Health Board they add 3% when one signs up for Kiwisaver, so that's nice. Some other employers go the extra mile and raise their contribution if the employee raises theirs.

EDIT: One extra about Kiwisaver, whether you get the extra 3% from employer or not is that government contributes a max of $521.43 pa. It's not much, so those who are on CTC structures and choose not to invest in Kiwisaver may have other savings/investment pans that exceed what their Kiwisaver growth and government contribution would add up to.

Edited by patches

Just yesterday I interviewed a German dude who said they employ clowns as facilities managers here in NZ; he's giving a talk at an upcoming FM conference and said 'maybe I should go dressed as a clown'. Man I love a German sense of humour, laconic and like the Sahara.

Anyway, not sure if that helps you or not. But reckon you should be sweet to find some jop - as everyone else has no doubt said, you'll need to come visit or engage a consultant to show you're serious.

Intern and Patches.

Thanks for the info, and yes, I will be engaging with a Consultant. Waiting on the costs from a few, as we speak. Got a seminar/meeting with New Zealand Shores on 08 Aug, here in Cape Town, to discuss the way forward. 

Edit: Cushman & Wakefield is currently the FM company where I work, but I am not employed by them directly, I work for a service provider.

Edited by Wannabe

Congrats!

I'm working through my own company so I get to pay my KiwiSaver contribution myself [emoji2955]

Currently paying enough to get the tax back, undecided about paying more until we've scraped enough to put down a deposit on a house at a level we can afford the repayments.

I actually started paying a while ago, no one said I couldn't. Waiting to see what IRD have to say about that...