Cholesterol

ok so this post was 2 years ago,,I have tried to cut out the bad stuff,total went from 7.2 down to 6.8 total.LDL dropped to 4.5.

But I never took any pills, my weight still around 66.

Having read about all the side effects of statins I will continue to watch what I eat. Having said that I am by no means not enjoying all the good stuff, just trying to watch the amounts of bad stuff

Avos and brazil nuts are good for cholestrol- but don't eat bucketloads of them :thumbup:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

got the blood test break down...holy flippen moly...3 pages of test results (no wonder it cost so much)...everything from cancer to kidney to liver to cholesterol...the good news...everything other than LDL cholesterol is "normal" ...and more good news...i am no longer a border line type 2 diabetic...all back to normal.

an interesting comment the doc made today...he indicated that one of the test results show that i am drinking enough water while out riding...kidney or liver test (maybe the one of the docs here can explain ) ...he said he did the test because i told him how i have been pushing myself on the bike and was worried i might not be taking in enough fluid to keep hydrated...but the result shows no problems.

he also indicated that i havent had a ECG test since 2011...so we did one of those today .

resting hr...67 bpm did the step test and within a couple a minutes was back to 71 bpm...he indicated that the print out got a double thumbs up. 

Must say I feel like an over achiever on this topic and yet glad to be alive reading the posts.

When I was 28years old, fit as hell, gym every day and working hard (very fiscal work) I decided to test my cholesterol and to my surprise and almost giving my proor doctor a hart attack found out that my chlestrerol level was at 12.7........ Needless to say it took about 2 seconds for the doc to put me on some serious meds.

Now almost 41 and not on any medication I'm sitting on 5 and that is all thanks to cycling. My levels started dropping after my first year of cycling and now 2 years later no more nasty ugly everyday pills to swallow.

Edited by Cacey

I've been swiftly put on a statin after my blood test, went for another one and which indicated LdL at 5.1. Not happy with doctor though so will be going elsewhere. Been on it now for a month and find it makes me tired or is it just me?

Must say I feel like an over achiever on this topic and yet glad to be alive reading the posts.

When I was 28years old, fit as hell, gym every day and working hard (very fiscal work) I decided to test my cholesterol and to my surprise and almost giving my proor doctor a hart attack found out that my chlestrerol level was at 12.7........ Needless to say it took about 2 seconds for the doc to put me on some serious meds.

Now almost 41 and not on any medication I'm sitting on 5 and that is all thanks to cycling. My levels started dropping after my first year of cycling and now 2 years later no more nasty ugly everyday pills to swallow.

i assume that 12.7 is total cholesterol...which is now below 5 total cholesterol....i am assuming you changed your eating habits when you started cycling ?

I've been swiftly put on a statin after my blood test, went for another one and which indicated LdL at 5.1. Not happy with doctor though so will be going elsewhere. Been on it now for a month and find it makes me tired or is it just me?

just dont make the mistake of reading the side affects like i did...i am affected by every side effect listed ;)

muscle cramping is one of the side effects...if this happens...change the meds to a different brand.

Edited by isetech

just dont make the mistake of reading the side affects like i did...i am affected by every side effect listed ;)

yeah but from what I've read it's concerning, particularly the myopathy.

yeah but from what I've read it's concerning, particularly the myopathy.

the only reason i even considered taking the tablets again after 2 years...the doctor put the fear of God into my family even though my levels have dropped since i stopped...i have agreed to take them until the level has dropped to 2.9 then i will stop again and hopefully by then i will be eating the right food. (3 months then test again) 

personally i wouldnt take them if i wasnt being pressurized by the doc and family...not after all the research i have read about statins.

Edited by isetech

Yeah. I am going to stay on for another month then go to different Dr. And run tests again. For interest is the lipogram an additional test or can they get the breakdown from the initial one. A bit miffed that I've had to go for two and wasn't even given the full breakdown of the test

i assume that 12.7 is total cholesterol...which is now below 5 total cholesterol....i am assuming you changed your eating habits when you started cycling ?

Yes did change a little but not all in change and the 12.7 was my bad chlesterol or so I understand

got the blood test break down...holy flippen moly...3 pages of test results (no wonder it cost so much)...everything from cancer to kidney to liver to cholesterol...the good news...everything other than LDL cholesterol is "normal" ...and more good news...i am no longer a border line type 2 diabetic...all back to normal.

an interesting comment the doc made today...he indicated that one of the test results show that i am drinking enough water while out riding...kidney or liver test (maybe the one of the docs here can explain ) ...he said he did the test because i told him how i have been pushing myself on the bike and was worried i might not be taking in enough fluid to keep hydrated...but the result shows no problems.

he also indicated that i havent had a ECG test since 2011...so we did one of those today .

resting hr...67 bpm did the step test and within a couple a minutes was back to 71 bpm...he indicated that the print out got a double thumbs up.

Wow! Great news!! Very glad to hear that everything is normal. Now you know why the bill was so high!

I find that doctors prescribe statins like crazy. They don't try sort out the root cause of the issue (lifestyle). Definitely go for a second opinion

the only reason i even considered taking the tablets again after 2 years...the doctor put the fear of God into my family even though my levels have dropped since i stopped...i have agreed to take them until the level has dropped to 2.9 then i will stop again and hopefully by then i will be eating the right food. (3 months then test again) 

personally i wouldnt take them if i wasnt being pressurized by the doc and family...not after all the research i have read about statins.

Sorry to jump in on this thread but had mine tested a few weeks ago at work and got 3.37 which I assumed was good but at what level does it become dangerously low if that's even possible?

In the last 4 months my husband and I tried Banting. Dropped 8 kg and counting. Cholesterol dropped from 5.3 to 4.2.

Banting was tough at the beginning, but now I have lots of energy and the fittest I have ever been.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to jump in on this thread but had mine tested a few weeks ago at work and got 3.37 which I assumed was good but at what level does it become dangerously low if that's even possible?

Your body makes all the cholesterol it needs, whether you ingest it or not. So, it is not possible to be too low because your body makes what it needs