Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks a bit pointless. Think I am just going to renew my CSA membership directly.

See how it develops and sign up next year (if it is still around)

Edited by garrethk

And the Garmin devices are available for more than R800 cheaper elsewhere anyways...waste of time

I'm all for public scrutiny but you guys seem awfully cynical.

Where can you get an Edge 510 for R4600?

Keep in mind this also includes a R500 helmet/eyewear voucher and half price for a number of race entry fees.

It's like any other Vitality benefit; try milk it and and doesn't always make sense but use it the way it's meant to be used and it'll pay for itself pretty quickly, not only with the obvious perks but the points/status/card cash-back thing is not to be underestimated.

After working out the cost & benefit, if one wants to get the most of this "team" offer; one must also register with their running team & entered for running events. (besides just entered for the cycle team)

at the end of the day, each to its own benefit on using either the "vitality" or "Multiply" programs...

Edited by The_black_stig

I'm all for public scrutiny but you guys seem awfully cynical.

Where can you get an Edge 510 for R4600?

Keep in mind this also includes a R500 helmet/eyewear voucher and half price for a number of race entry fees.

It's like any other Vitality benefit; try milk it and and doesn't always make sense but use it the way it's meant to be used and it'll pay for itself pretty quickly, not only with the obvious perks but the points/status/card cash-back thing is not to be underestimated.

I hear you and I agree to a certain point. Some of the benefits are beneficial.

However, what really has upset everyone is initially they promised almost all races would be part of their calendar. Now they officially launch and almost nothing is included.

Additionally, I wouldn't be purchasing a garmin 810 in the first place because of the price, R800 certainly won't change my mind.

For this scheme to work successfully, they need a fair number of people to buy into it. Offering discount vouchers on only the most expensive garmins certainly isn't going to achieve this. The average person who signs up with this would expect to see save money in the long term if a sufficient number of races were entered. This is no longer the case as most events aren't included.

I think it's a brilliant idea by discovery, but it just seems that they have rushed through the thinking simply to get it launched. I think they could have done a much better job.

Sorry, but this was such a joke by discovery. They created ask the hype on social media without getting their ducks in a row.

Rather poorly done. I am sorry but 80% of cyclists that would have been interested in this would have already have a Garmin and proper helmet and glasses. So rather pointless.

What if I advertise on Facebook that we giving away 5 bikes and 5 caps, drum up all the exposure and then say. Jokes, just giving away 5 caps. T&C's apply.

Would have been awesome if it was like they previously said.

cycling devices which you can get the discount on.

http://www.garminonline.co.za/vitacycle

Not worth it at all. Spend 5-8k to get R800 of.

The Garmin site and some LBSs wouldn't make the discount worthwhile if one has to only use them. I see two sites at about 4400 for the 510, easygis (part of easybike) and iwarehouse. I haven't used either in the past, so I don't know if they're good or bad.

This is all a bit disappointing, but I suppose it would be too costly for them to actually outlay cash value vouchers as opposed to manufacturers just discounting their usual markups. I wonder if the kit is worth the R600? Maybe just do a couple of races one was doing anyway to make it back.

As a Gauteng-based mountain biker I'd only get a discount of "up to 25%" at one mountain bike race (Babbas Lodge) in 2015. Country-wide there are only four mountain bike races on offer at a discount.

A really poor initiative!

Wonder why there no races listed for January 2016 or does this only run Feb to December every year?

For Gauteng, you would have thought the Berg n Dale would have been on there considering the size of the event and that is in January

Be interesting to see the drop-out rate of those that signed up for more info when they first launched to how many actually pay and sign up when it starts officially. 

"Running club licenses

Running licenses will be available in Central Gauteng and KZN. Current Athletics South Africa (ASA) regulations mean you can only belong to one running club. If you live in Central Gauteng or KZN and choose to join Team Vitality you will need to resign from your current running club and send us your clearance letter and the completed ASA application form so that we can apply for your license on your behalf. We are currently working with Western Province Athletics to secure licenses in that region and aim to roll out licenses to the other regions during the year

"

So Gauteng North Runners cannot join?