Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

How do you get your points for an IDT trainer session?

I have upgraded my Virtual trainer app so I am hoping I can use my girlfriends tablet instead of my phone and therefore use my ANT + garmin HR strap (instead of the blue tooth one for my phone) and save a workout on my garmin simultaneously, I'm trying it out for the first time tonight.

Almost the same as you've described.

Speed sensor and HR strap linked to Garmin via Ant+.

Then uploads to Garmin Connect and up to Disco.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks I'll have to find out how to upload from virtual trainer to Strava (on a different thread).

I'm also not getting a payment confirmation. I'm thinking its because I registered after business hours though.

I can't seem to view my proof of payment. Anyone else having this issue? Was so excited, was gonna get one immediately.

Nope worked straight away...

Thanks I'll have to find out how to upload from virtual trainer to Strava (on a different thread).

I'm also not getting a payment confirmation. I'm thinking its because I registered after business hours though.

Once you've activated go to settings then cloud services

post-1372-1448993737,8082.png

Here's the mail that came out today

Dear Martin

You recently activated Vitality Active Rewards and became part of a fundamentally different approach to engaging in, and rewarding, physical activity. The results of the Active Rewards programme have exceeded all expectations, with thousands of Vitality members exercising 35% more on average than they did before and earning over 170000 smoothies and coffees in the process.

Now get Vitality Active Rewards with Apple Watch

Today, we're delighted to announce that the Vitality Active Rewards with Apple Watch benefit is now available to you in a unique collaboration between Vitality and Apple. Apple's ground-breaking health and fitness companion, Apple Watch, combines with Vitality Active Rewards to motivate you to get even more active.

As a Vitality member, we're offering you access to an Apple Watch to help you get more active and healthy. The amount you pay for your Apple Watch is based on achieving your weekly fitness goals – if you meet all your Vitality Active Rewards goals in a month, the monthly amount for your Apple Watch will be funded in full by us.

Activate the benefit to collect your Apple Watch

Simply download the latest version of the Discovery app for iPhone and activate the Apple Watch benefit by paying an activation fee (you will need a Discovery Gold Card or higher). Then visit your local iStore to collect your Apple Watch. It's that simple to become one of the very first in South Africa to own the new Apple Watch.

To learn more about Vitality Active Rewards with Apple Watch, including the terms and conditions, visit www.discovery.co.za. Remember that you need an iPhone 5 or later to use Apple Watch.

Get Apple Watch. Get Active. Get Rewarded.

Regards
Hylton Kallner
Chief Marketing Officer

Seems like you have to have an iPhone 5 or higher to qualify...

Here's the mail that came out today

Dear Martin

You recently activated Vitality Active Rewards and became part of a fundamentally different approach to engaging in, and rewarding, physical activity. The results of the Active Rewards programme have exceeded all expectations, with thousands of Vitality members exercising 35% more on average than they did before and earning over 170000 smoothies and coffees in the process.

Today, we're delighted to announce that the Vitality Active Rewards with Apple Watch benefit is now available to you in a unique collaboration between Vitality and Apple. Apple's ground-breaking health and fitness companion, Apple Watch, combines with Vitality Active Rewards to motivate you to get even more active.

As a Vitality member, we're offering you access to an Apple Watch to help you get more active and healthy. The amount you pay for your Apple Watch is based on achieving your weekly fitness goals – if you meet all your Vitality Active Rewards goals in a month, the monthly amount for your Apple Watch will be funded in full by us.

Simply download the latest version of the Discovery app for iPhone and activate the Apple Watch benefit by paying an activation fee (you will need a Discovery Gold Card or higher). Then visit your local iStore to collect your Apple Watch. It's that simple to become one of the very first in South Africa to own the new Apple Watch.

To learn more about Vitality Active Rewards with Apple Watch, including the terms and conditions, visit www.discovery.co.za. Remember that you need an iPhone 5 or later to use Apple Watch.

Regards

Hylton Kallner

Chief Marketing Officer

Seems like you have to have an iPhone 5 or higher to qualify...

WTF

:eek: :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  

Twilight Zone

Dear Martin

As a Vitality member, we're offering you access to an Apple Watch to help you get more active and healthy. The amount you pay for your Apple Watch is based on achieving your weekly fitness goals – if you meet all your Vitality Active Rewards goals in a month, the monthly amount for your Apple Watch will be funded in full by us.

To learn more about Vitality Active Rewards with Apple Watch, including the terms and conditions, visit www.discovery.co.za. Remember that you need an iPhone 5 or later to use Apple Watch.

Regards

Hylton Kallner

Chief Marketing Officer

The Apple Watch deal looked really attractive, until I delved a bit deeper into the Watch specs.

Not coming from an Apple background and knowing very little about the watch, except that my daugther thinks it's the best thing since vanilla ice cream, I looked at whether it could work for anyone in my family as a fitness watch.

So I went through the check list:

• Will we be able to reach the Vitality Active targets?....check;
  • Do I qualify?...nope, need a Discovery Credit card, no problem can get that sorted...so check;
  • Can the primary member gift the watch to someone else (daughter) and still get the subsidy (provided that the primary member meets his Active goals)?...check;
  • Will the phone work with Strava...sort off, needs iPhone app...mmm...OK so need an iPhone...still not shooting it down, my contract is up for renewal and iPhone 6 is an option...so maybe a check;
  • Will the Watch do what other fitness watches do?  HRM, integrated HRM - nice...check;
  • GPS...first oops, the Apple Watch needs the iPhone's GPS, so you need to lug the phone along on the exercise, kinda like my daughter is reluctantly doing at the moment...no check;
  • Battery life...jury is still out, but seems to need a daily charge...no check.
  • Waterproof...somewhat...no check

So for me, I went from being excited about this, and willing to make a plan to get one, to actually wishing Discovery would offer the same terms on acquiring other sport / fitness watches as well.

Deal breakers for me were:

No GPS in watch; not great battery life.

It sure is a pretty watch and my daughter is quite disappointed that it wont do what she wants it to do.  Maybe, the next generation will tick all the boxes.  Great initiative from Discovery.

Edited by Pax_

The Apple Watch deal looked really attractive, until I delved a bit deeper into the Watch specs.

Not coming from an Apple background and knowing very little about the watch, except that my daugther thinks it's the best thing since vanilla ice cream, I looked at whether it could work for anyone in my family as a fitness watch.

So I went through the check list:

• Will we be able to reach the Vitality Active targets?....check;
  • Do I qualify?...nope, need a Discovery Credit card, no problem can get that sorted...so check;
  • Can the primary member gift the watch to someone else (daughter) and still get the subsidy (provided that the primary member meets his Active goals)?...check;
  • Will the phone work with Strava...sort off, needs iPhone app...mmm...OK so need an iPhone...still not shooting it down, my contract is up for renewal and iPhone 6 is an option...so maybe a check;
  • Will the Watch do what other fitness watches do?  HRM, integrated HRM - nice...check;
  • GPS...first oops, the Apple Watch needs the iPhone's GPS, so you need to lug the phone along on the exercise, kinda like my daughter is reluctantly doing at the moment...no check;
  • Battery life...jury is still out, but seems to need a daily charge...no check.
  • Waterproof...somewhat...no check

So for me, I went from being excited about this, and willing to make a plan to get one, to actually wishing Discovery would offer the same terms on acquiring other sport / fitness watches as well.

Deal breakers for me were:

No GPS in watch; not great battery life.

It sure is a pretty watch and my daughter is quite disappointed that it wont do what she wants it to do.  Maybe, the next generation will tick all the boxes.  Great initiative from Discovery.

Apparently you can go run without the phone and the phone can calc the time and distance, but no GPS Strava data. 

lots of women do not like wearing the chest strap (uncomfy with bra and strap), as an alternative you might consider a wrist strap like a mio http://bbt.mioglobal.co.za/product/mio-link/

Not cheap, but gets around the issue if it is an issue and is bluetooth compatible

Yup, thinking of getting her the apple watch for this purpose, since I already all garmined up, and eyeing the forerunner 235 when it becomes available...

For all those who has strava and uses ANT+ HRM, please read this thread

https://strava.zendesk.com/entries/22821681-Add-support-for-ANT-with-Strava-Android-App

I've used my android cellphone (which can receives ANT+ data-signals) to records all my rides with heart-rate data on it. No need to burn money on another devices just to sync it to strava.

Yea, great option if your phone reads Ant+, but sadly iphone doesn't  - unless you add an adapter which costs more than a Bluetooth HRM...

Edited by dracs

Also should we not wait for the iWatch 2 coming in March, which has gps and built in wireless? 24 months of old tech would bug me

Is the March story confirmed or rumour?  if as soon as that I am also inclined to wait