Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's really hard to read the moral indignation in this thread and not smile to oneself. Whoever thought the point allocation would not change is perhaps not very bright. And if you based a decision to buy a R5,000 watch on the perception that a two hour ride once a week was going to be all you had to do ad infinitum, well the less said the better.

As for suggestions about tiers and rest weeks, this in not the schoolyard guys. For a system to be effective for the sponsor and the user it has to be simple. Audits and checking post event is not practicable. Strava has always been a crap app to analyze workouts and is very inaccurate on a number of fronts.

This is still a fantastic deal from Discovery and I have no issues with the changes to points. As I wrote previously I used to get 100 points, I can now get 1,500 a ride and, if I'm feeling really hard, even 3,000. 

But I guess I'm different in that I wouldn't own an Apple product even it came with a free bike.

yeah, agreed to a point. Agreed on the apple watch front, and the fact that lots of ppl didn't read the t's and c's at all. They just saw "apple watch" and didn't read the "if"

Mine isn't a problem. I activated it on my profile, for my wife. If I don't hit the goals, I've only got myself to blame. Yes, it's more difficult, but that's the whole aim of the thing - to get people off the couch more often. 

Besides, I'll still hit my weekly max in just one Sunday ride. 

Just got this in my inbox:

Vitality Active Rewards has been Vitality's most successful benefit to date. And while early data shows an average increase in physical activity of 21% among members, the support of a broad range of apps and devices has also highlighted certain issues regarding data reliability. We are therefore refining how you can earn Vitality points using fitness apps and devices.

As reported by many of our members, Strava integration has been problematic this year resulting in poor user experiences. In addition, we are no longer able to support third party integrations or devices that allow self-reported data. At this stage, verified and self-reported data on Strava cannot be differentiated on our platform and we are therefore in the process of discontinuing this method of integration from the Vitality programme, effective 2 April 2016.

If you have a Garmin or Polar device that is linked to Strava, you need to link directly to Vitality to continue earning Vitality fitness points.

If you have a TomTom or SUUNTO device linked through Strava, please log into our website and link your device before 18 March 2016.

OK so they saw that most of the proper device do have an internal ID and now linking directly Vitality gives them the control. Donder why did they not just do this in the first place.

It is still not going to address the issue of putting the device on your dog WTF. Wonder how the HR strap work and stays there?

Just got this in my inbox:

Vitality Active Rewards has been Vitality's most successful benefit to date. And while early data shows an average increase in physical activity of 21% among members, the support of a broad range of apps and devices has also highlighted certain issues regarding data reliability. We are therefore refining how you can earn Vitality points using fitness apps and devices.

As reported by many of our members, Strava integration has been problematic this year resulting in poor user experiences. In addition, we are no longer able to support third party integrations or devices that allow self-reported data. At this stage, verified and self-reported data on Strava cannot be differentiated on our platform and we are therefore in the process of discontinuing this method of integration from the Vitality programme, effective 2 April 2016.

If you have a Garmin or Polar device that is linked to Strava, you need to link directly to Vitality to continue earning Vitality fitness points.

If you have a TomTom or SUUNTO device linked through Strava, please log into our website and link your device before 18 March 2016.

Was only a matter of time.

Too easy to add a manual activity and "cheat" the system...

Was only a matter of time.

Too easy to add a manual activity and "cheat" the system...

I feel sorry for all the okes that took Apple watches hoping to 'pay' them of with Strava workouts.

OK so they saw that most of the proper device do have an internal ID and now linking directly Vitality gives them the control. Donder why did they not just do this in the first place.

It is still not going to address the issue of putting the device on your dog WTF. Wonder how the HR strap work and stays there?

but that's always how you've been able to do it - link to garmin connect and voila. Direct link. Likewise to Polar Personal Trainer... 

I feel sorry for all the okes that took Apple watches hoping to 'pay' them of with Strava workouts.

yeah, now you have to use the built in apple app, Workouts I think it's called. You can still get your info to Strava, or Garmin Connect through Tapiriik, but it's no longer a case of being able to "upload" a fictitious exercise

yeah, agreed to a point. Agreed on the apple watch front, and the fact that lots of ppl didn't read the t's and c's at all. They just saw "apple watch" and didn't read the "if"

Mine isn't a problem. I activated it on my profile, for my wife. If I don't hit the goals, I've only got myself to blame. Yes, it's more difficult, but that's the whole aim of the thing - to get people off the couch more often.

Besides, I'll still hit my weekly max in just one Sunday ride.

Exactly what I did, except I knew there may be one or two months where something goes wrong and end paying for that month.

For me the watch deal is (was) a no-brainer. The wife wanted one, so Vitality or not she would have got one anyway.

With my profile, it makes it a bit easier to keep those repayments as low as possible. Win-win for both of us.

Hmm, so I won't be able to earn points with my Bryton anymore?

I don't think that Vitality benefits me nearly enough to justify spending R5000 on an equivalent Garmin, when the Bryton my wife gave me for Xmas a few years ago still works perfectly...

So the folks at Discovery acknowledged my email which had my post from FB inserted.

It was probably a standard reply but they at least referenced points from the mail, and more importantly replied.

edit: and an even more detailed reply on the FB page.

for those wanting to know, they use the ACSM (American College of Sports Medicine) guidelines for the heart rate zones. Quote: "We have updated our heart rate workout recommendations to fall more in line with the international standard of moderate heart rate (fairly light to somewhat hard) being 64-75% and vigorous (somewhat hard to very hard) being 76-96%. Our prior recommendation of 60% for moderate and 70% for vigorous was previously conservative and below the ACSM recommendations."

They then explain that a 4x 30 minute vigorous workouts should nett one 1200 points. Quote: "Vitality members are encouraged to take part in regular, moderate/vigorous physical activity most days of the week for at least 30 minutes a day and as such the 100 and 300 points ranges are easily within reach of our members. These heart rate guidelines give members a good indication of the level of exertion which allows them to benefit the most from their workouts and rewards them for doing so with Vitality fitness points. For instance, a member who takes part in 30 minutes of vigorous exercise such as a spinning class four days a week with a linked heart rate monitor will earn 1 200 points a week. Note that we do not endorse nor do we encourage members to attempt to earn their points solely by taking part in one long, vigorous workout or event, but rather through several moderate intensity workouts throughout the week."

Edited by geraldm24

Myles, I know you and Adrian G are big, BIG tjommies - pls suggest he buy Strava with a quick sale of shares and make them insert their unique ID or whatever. Now I have to actually connect my Garmin to my laptop to download my rides and the time it takes to log on with the useless Vodacom signal in my area is more of a pain than him just quickly buying them with his spare change. My smoothies are almost not worth it. ????

And additionally, Stravabank is a fine name for his new offering. 'We improve your crash flow' :whistling:

Edited by Thor Buttox

Myles, I know you and Adrian G are big, BIG tjommies - pls suggest he buy Strava with a quick sale of shares and make them insert their unique ID or whatever. Now I have to actually connect my Garmin to my laptop to download my rides and the time it takes to log on with the useless Vodacom signal in my area is more of a pain than him just quickly buying them with his spare change. My smoothies are almost not worth it.

And additionally, Stravabank is a fine name for his new offering. 'We improve your crash flow' :whistling:

If on an Android device download Edgescope and never use your PC to upload again.

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/143408-edgescope-load-and-view-your-ride-from-garmin-edge-gps-on-smartphone/?hl=edgescope