Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

I have googled like mad and i still haven't found a way online to self-report HR Data to Strava.

2BH, i did not even know about self-reporting to Strava and still cannot figure it out.

My view is that they should accept Strava with HR data...

I think people are doctoring gpx files and importing into Strava

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have googled like mad and i still haven't found a way online to self-report HR Data to Strava.

2BH, i did not even know about self-reporting to Strava and still cannot figure it out.

Yeah, I tried to do it this weekend. Couldn't either. 

But still. We all know how buggy the interaction was. They have also said that if the platform (strava) can send them verified info, or at least differentiate between self-populated or non, it'll be reconsidered in the future. 

My view (as i mentioned before) they did crap analysis and now they pay too much for coffee and watches so now they thin the herd by removing strava which is free all you need is a cheapo HR belt. So whola 85% less coffees on a wednesday and 90% of the customers start paying for their watches them selves. Stop thinking as the customer here and think what would you have done if it was your business.

Yeah, I tried to do it this weekend. Couldn't either. 

But still. We all know how buggy the interaction was. They have also said that if the platform (strava) can send them verified info, or at least differentiate between self-populated or non, it'll be reconsidered in the future. 

So, let's all send emails to Strava...cos shouting "MAP MY FITNESS" at old grannies with dogs in Emmarentia just isn't the same...

So, let's all send emails to Strava...cos shouting "MAP MY FITNESS" at old grannies with dogs in Emmarentia just isn't the same...

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

That made my day tx.

What would a "MAP MY..."-HOLE look like?

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

That made my day tx.

What would a "MAP MY..."-HOLE look like?

mapmyfitness-hole can mean something completely different to some people.

I’ve never really taken the Vitality programme seriously since the combined monthly membership fees, Vitality credit card fees & Annual renewal fees for my family seems to cost more than the odd flight to Cape town an iWatch or a rental vehicle

I have to admit though that it’s gratifying to rack-up so many points via Strava and it motivates me to push for 90+ minute rides daily simply to maximise my points.

I don’t consider myself a serious rider so I don’t use a HRM. A LOT of my friends, colleagues and acquaintances are in the same boat. Most of them signed-up for the iWatch benefit (Hell, some of them specifically activated Discovery Credit Cards just to get the benefit)

Every one of them made a point of going for a walk for lunch and going for a ride/jog on weekends and logging it via Strava, etc. It’s inspiring to see such a large group of mostly sedentary people making the effort to be more active on a daily basis

These folk got really invested in the active lifestyle. We created a Strava Club and some of them activated Premium annual memberships.

After Vitality’s announcement many (If not all) of them have become disenchanted with the whole affair. It’s tragic to see enthusiasm replaced by such bitter resentment in the space of a couple of days

These folks aren’t interested in laborious workarounds, migrating to other tracking platforms or spending money on additional hardware. They’ll pay off the iWatches or try to flog them to recover some of the costs but they’ll be much more circumspect about any new programs/products/packages that the Discovery group launch

Edited by Hfx0

No, they say they can't use Strava because you can self-report data, and the platform doesn't differentiate between self-reported and verified data. PLUS it doesn't like syncing, for some reason.

Also - the dog thing is legit. Seriously... You underestimate the lengths to which people will go to get a free smoothie or watch. 

As for the cost - it's minimal when compared to the amount of money they will save from increased healthy activity. What needs to change is in the mind of the consumer - not exercising for points, but exercising for fitness and letting the points be a byproduct of the exercise. That's the attitude shift that they're looking for.  

Umm, but they have thousands of customers who do view it in exactly that way and whose Strava exercises are a 100% accurate reflection of their activities and fitness. 

No problems syncing with Strava in my case and no manual uploads possible as far as I know.

Umm, but they have thousands of customers who do view it in exactly that way and whose Strava exercises are a 100% accurate reflection of their activities and fitness. 

No problems syncing with Strava in my case and no manual uploads possible as far as I know.

Yeah, I know. They're trying to change that. But this latest change, IMO, may be a step too far (pun not intended)

As for the manual uploads - you can create a workout on Strava by clicking on the + icon on strava, and input all the details but HR. When they send the data to Disco, it doesn't differentiate between those "exercises" and the ones that were just Strava running normally. That's an issue that needs to be fixed on Strava's side. 

Also - some could be importing GPX files as someone else said above. 

If there was a way to differentiate between an "uploaded" or "created" workout, and a "recorded" one, it'd probably be a different matter. 

I'm still unsure as to what the f i'm gonna do now. Strava is important to me but at the same time I need to earn points so they can pay for this damn watch. I'll probably have to run the workout app on my watch with strava on my phone otherwise it'll use too much battery. 

I don't have an issue with them moving the target points to encourage more exercise but dropping strava is a massive issue for me. They've gotta sort it out as my whole cycling training program is based on strava.

I'm still unsure as to what the f i'm gonna do now. Strava is important to me but at the same time I need to earn points so they can pay for this damn watch. I'll probably have to run the workout app on my watch with strava on my phone otherwise it'll use too much battery. 

I don't have an issue with them moving the target points to encourage more exercise but dropping strava is a massive issue for me. They've gotta sort it out as my whole cycling training program is based on strava.

Can you not sync "workouts" with Strava?

Just go here: https://tapiriik.com/#

Then create a GC account and it will sync it up with strava, so you can pay for your watch. Mine has been set like this from the start as strava was so unreliable syncing to discovery. 

Real non issue.

Yeah, I know. They're trying to change that. But this latest change, IMO, may be a step too far (pun not intended)

As for the manual uploads - you can create a workout on Strava by clicking on the + icon on strava, and input all the details but HR. When they send the data to Disco, it doesn't differentiate between those "exercises" and the ones that were just Strava running normally. That's an issue that needs to be fixed on Strava's side. 

Also - some could be importing GPX files as someone else said above. 

If there was a way to differentiate between an "uploaded" or "created" workout, and a "recorded" one, it'd probably be a different matter. 

To be honest, last year I once plugged my garmin into charge in my wife PC, it auto uploaded my entire garmin to her profile, 12000 points in one week last year :0

To be honest, last year I once plugged my garmin into charge in my wife PC, it auto uploaded my entire garmin to her profile, 12000 points in one week last year :0

LOL.

Cheater!