Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

Is it a points race?

Yes, some don't get the point of it, while others point to many problems.

What are the prizes?

It seems they don't hand out medals, but rather smoothies/coffee

Whether you're first or last, everyone that finishes - get's the point (of this) - get's a smothie

Are there age categories?

Yes, 220-age

Is this competition sport agnostic?

When used as an adjective - there are many out there

Hahaha

So people do miss the point of good enough / fit for purpose?

I'm going to the gym 3 times the coming week.

1. Done training, no HR stuff

2&3. To collect my 2 smoothies.

[emoji1303]

This will allow me to qualify for the smoothie semi the week after next, with the added bonus of being well rested from my coach (discovery) imposed taper (300 points) this week!

[emoji1305]

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a points race!?

What are the prizes?

Are there age categories and is this competition sport agnostic?

1. Yes

2. The feeling of accomplishment and a free smoothie, heck a free Apple watch if you play it correctly.

3. Yes and yes.

That Team Vitality offer is really broken

What a mess

Great idea

But big crash

Correct,

Discovery is a leading, innovative, well managed company. But this whole Vitality mess is knocking their reputation.

It might be better to just can the whole thing.

Looking for a simple cheap way to achieve my vitality points...for cycling.

for example...option 1

edge 25...+/- R 3200

standard mount...

heart rate monitor...

Garmin connect...

ride your bike record the data including your heart rate and connect to vitality... points awarded...that simply?

option 2...

iphone 5...(already have one) 

wahoo hrm... +/- R1000 

ride bike record using app ??? ...upload data to vitality...points awarded.

option 3...

polar....you get the idea.

Any other suggestions...please try keep it simple for us older technically handicapped folk.

it might have been covered in the vitality thread but that thread has got really long.

feel free to add the more expensive options for those who can afford it.

Looking for a simple cheap way to achieve my vitality points...for cycling.

for example...option 1

edge 25...+/- R 3200

standard mount...

heart rate monitor...

Garmin connect...

ride your bike record the data including your heart rate and connect to vitality... points awarded...that simply?

option 2...

iphone 5...(already have one) 

wahoo hrm... +/- R1000 

ride bike record using app ??? ...upload data to vitality...points awarded.

option 3...

polar....you get the idea.

Any other suggestions...please try keep it simple for us older technically handicapped folk.

it might have been covered in the vitality thread but that thread has got really long.

feel free to add the more expensive options for those who can afford it.

please delete this thread and post in the Vitality thread... 

But - option 2 isn't an option...Strava no more. HR device only (Polar / garmin / TomTom etc. 

My advice - Edge 20/25 or a Polar HRM. Or the Apple Watch, which is free if you hit your goals - which you seem to be doing on an ongoing basis. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

Depends if you want GPS, if not there are cheaper options like garmin FR70 https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/into-sports/discontinued/fr70/prod104012.html you can usually get for R1900 or so and just need the speed cadence sensor 

Garmin 500 in the classifieds you can usually pick up for around R2500

or here R2000 https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/185088-garmin-edge-500-blue/

Depends if you want GPS, if not there are cheaper options like garmin FR70 https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/into-sports/discontinued/fr70/prod104012.html you can usually get for R1900 or so and just need the speed cadence sensor 

Garmin 500 in the classifieds you can usually pick up for around R2500

or here R2000 https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/185088-garmin-edge-500-blue/

That EDGE 500 gets my vote... 

https://www.discovery.co.za/discovery_coza/web/linked_content/pdfs/vitality/team_vitality/vitality_race_events_calendar.pdf

So that's the new Race link, a couple of Trail runs that clearly pay discovery to get People there

Over the next 5 weeks I am running, Denel 21km (last Saturday), Allan Robb 32km, Slowmag 42km, Cradle 32km and Colgate 32km

All races that have been around and on the Calendar for Years

How many are on the Discovery List ? 0

So my initial plan of just running a race a week after my Points goal gets back to 1200 is gone..

So instead of running a Marathon on a weekend they believe a 5km Park run is better and worth more points...

And before you tell me to wear a HR monitor, I already do and to hit 70% on a Long slow comrades training run is almost impossible for me , so again 0 Points

Am I missing something?

Edited by Ferret69

I bought a Polar m450 recently which work great but I hate the feeling of the hr belt around the chest. I assume I will still get vitality points without the belt but only less?

rather put a bit more and get the 510 and enjoy the wireless sync which will save you some time in getting your activities to GC>Vitality and Strava for keeping your logbook up to date.

https://www.discovery.co.za/discovery_coza/web/linked_content/pdfs/vitality/team_vitality/vitality_race_events_calendar.pdf

So that's the new Race link, a couple of Trail runs that clearly pay discovery to get People there

Over the next 5 weeks I am running, Denel 21km (last Saturday), Allan Robb 32km, Slowmag 42km, Cradle 32km and Colgate 32km

All races that have been around and on the Calendar for Years

How many are on the Discovery List ? 0

So my initial plan of just running a race a week after my Points goal gets back to 1200 is gone..

So instead of running a Marathon on a weekend they believe a 5km Park run is better and worth more points...

And before you tell me to wear a HR monitor, I already do and to hit 70% on a Long slow comrades training run is almost impossible for me , so again 0 Points

Am I missing something?

Think you might get points for time, but not a great deal.

I did an endurance 10km training run on Sunday, kept the HR where it needed to be.  Got 100 points for it.  Could have got the same if had swiped my card at the gym, ordered the smoothie and sat waiting for it before leaving.

And no it is not about the smoothie, but getting the points system right to reward people for putting in the time and effort and weighted according to that time and effort.

i use the Polar H7 strap (+-1k) with polar beat, the app is actually quiet nice in that there is just about every sport you can imagine( Strava never allowed me to select a stationary bike). you dont need an actual Polar device to create a Polar account which you link your iphone app to and that uploads the H7 data to the cloud which is directly linked to Discovery. i dont much like the reporting you get from the app though so i pull all my stats and information from the MypersonalTrainer site, Much prefer the application reporting functions in Strava so use the 2 at the same time and use Strava for stats etc directly from my device rather than having to go to the site.

New point system in full swing I see

USN MTB race on Sat - 600 points based on HR

Road ride on Sun - 300 points on HR

New Target 300 points  so its still easy enough. I think they will get it right. Only thing thats missing is claiming points for events but I presume it automatically picked up now.