Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

Is it worthwhile complaining to them about this at all?

Yeah that's bizarre. I think I would send it on to them. They're probably just going to pin it on your phone's GPS being inaccurate, but I honestly believe that there should be an option on a trip to flag an event which you know is BS.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I also have Momentum Multiply. Check the difference in driving scores on the two apps for the same trip. 

http://bitsandpcs.co.za/images/discdrive4.jpg

Is it worthwhile complaining to them about this at all?

When I first started out with Discovery Insure I pointed out all the areas where I thought I was getting unfairly penalised, one was a stretch of road that was clearly not a 60 kph zone. They corrected their system and now it is set at 80 kph as it should be. I also queried one or two niggles and it wasn't instant but it all got rectified. Now I get my 100km event free driving every week and I get a decent chunk of cash back every month. So for me the complaining was worth while. 

When I first started out with Discovery Insure I pointed out all the areas where I thought I was getting unfairly penalised, one was a stretch of road that was clearly not a 60 kph zone. They corrected their system and now it is set at 80 kph as it should be. I also queried one or two niggles and it wasn't instant but it all got rectified. Now I get my 100km event free driving every week and I get a decent chunk of cash back every month. So for me the complaining was worth while. 

What's the best way to do that; via the app or email?

What's the best way to do that; via the app or email?

I phoned and when I didn't get much success asked my broker for some assistance. 

Some tips on the Vitality Drive app, from someone that is used to the system. I'm no F1 driver but I certainly not "Driving Ms Daisy":

• Speed

Find the speed your car does using a GPS, and compare the speed of your speedometer. I can do up to 68km/h in a 60km/h zone before it indicates speeding. Likewise, I can do 127 in a 120 zone.

• Speeding at on/off-ramps

On-ramps - it's usually a 60km/h zone until you get to the sign indicating the start of the highway (the sign called R401).

post-1372-0-01738900-1538661483.png

Stay below 60 until you pass the sign, then speed up to 120 before merging with the highway.

for off-ramps - slow down to 60 in my case (68) before passing the same sign at the off-ramp. edit: it’s not the same sign, but rather the one with the red cross through the same sign.

• Cornering

Don't accelerate until you have turned the apex of the turn, and can accelerate in a straight line.

Any acceleration while "still in the bend" results in an incident (for me).

• Harsh accelaration

Not much to say here, avoid trying to redline before changing gears.

With a 4-spd auto, it's frustrating when trying to overtake a slower car so I tend to anticipate it and give a bit of a gap to allow a rolling start before over-taking.

• Harsh Braking

It happens - better to lose a point that have to claim for a rear-end.

The whole systems requires two things... the desire to change your driving habit, and actually doing it.

I see people driving faster than me, but I end up arriving at the same off-ramp as them before the traffic light changes.

Edited by Frosty

Some tips on the Vitality Drive app, from someone that is used to the system. I'm no F1 driver but I certainly not "Driving Ms Daisy":

1. Speed

Find the speed your car does using a GPS, and compare the speed of your speedometer. I can do up to 68km/h in a 60km/h zone before it indicates speeding. Likewise, I can do 127 in a 120 zone.

2. Speeding at on/off-ramps

On-ramps - it's usually a 60km/h zone until you get to the sign indicating the start of the highway (the sign called R401). 

attachicon.gifR401.PNG

Stay below 60 until you pass the sign, then speed up to 120 before merging with the highway.

for off-ramps - slow down to 60 in my case (68) before passing the same sign at the off-ramp.

3. Cornering

Don't accelerate until you have turned the apex of the turn, and can accelerate in a straight line.

4. Harsh accelaration

With a 4-spd auto, it's frustrating when trying to overtake a slower car so I tend to anticipate it and give a bit of a gap to allow a rolling start before over-taking.

5. Harsh Braking

The whole systems requires two things... the desire to change your driving habit, and actually doing it.

I see people driving faster than me, but I end up arriving at the same off-ramp as them before the traffic light changes. 

A rule of thumb I go by is when there is smoke coming from the wheels or they start squeeling, I am going to get an event.

I think that's what's been both the most rewarding and most frustrating aspect of this whole experience. By driving sensibly and according to the speed limits, you actually end up going efficiently as the roads are designed for that. Ever so often there is some idiot racing the lights, weaving through traffic, but yet, we end up in the same spot at the same time. And that's what gets my goat. If everyone just obeyed the traffic rules, traffic would flow much better. But no, we need to win, we need to be first. **** everyone else.

I also have Momentum Multiply. Check the difference in driving scores on the two apps for the same trip.

http://bitsandpcs.co.za/images/discdrive4.jpg

How can you be given a good score for smoothness but have bad scores for both accelerating and braking? Do I not understand the definition of smoooooooth?

• Speed

• Speeding at on/off-ramps

attachicon.gifR401.PNG

for off-ramps - slow down to 60 in my case (68) before passing the same sign at the off-ramp. edit: it’s not the same sign, but rather the one with the red cross through the same sign.

• Cornering

• Harsh accelaration

• Harsh Braking

I have just started using the app. To my mind the parameters are far too restrictive amd encourage bad/plonker driving.

1. The harsh braking is an absolute joke - I have numerous incidents allegedly, none of which i can recall.

2. The on ramp speeding criteria fosters bad driving. You're entering a fast moving high way at 60? Really. I have been marked down for speeding as I exit the on ramp into a 120 zone. My pet hate, drivers who enter a freeway at a speed far below the speed of the cars on the

highway making it unsafe to enter the traffic stream and encouraging... harsh acceleration!

3. Harsh cornering and acceleration. Another joke. This app doesn't know what harsh cornering is. And my car is way slow compared to a modern hot hatch i.e over 8 secs to 100. I think cornering on a bicycle down Chappies would set it off. 

4. The phone distraction measure is the only one I have got 100% of and this despite using my phone in its cradle periodically. 

Sorry Discovery. I give you a 1 out of 5 for this app. 

Edited by Headshot

How can you be given a good score for smoothness but have bad scores for both accelerating and braking? Do I not understand the definition of smoooooooth?

Its a bit of a joke - especially that stuff about not accelerating too hard or you could go out of control. You know like a drag racer at the track when in fact all you did was drive as the manufacturer intended the car to be used. Perhaps they want you to lug around in too high a gear and damage the engine? 

App works for me, hit my vitality drive reward every week !!.... same as I hit my active reward every week which currently sits at 147 consecutive weeks!

Superman, is that you?