Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

26 minutes ago, Christofison said:

Sorry 🤦‍♂️ I didn't read the question carefully and didn't realise it was still linked to the previous queries. I assumed the 'device' in question was a second Apple Watch.

You can absolutely boost a fitness watch while the Apple Watch benefit is active. They're separate benefits.

No need to apologize; we’re trying to help those with questions.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Frosty said:

No need to apologize; we’re trying to help those with questions.

Thanks All for the answers and links posted.

As an aside, don't you find Discovery's various offers etc very confusing and difficult to understand - almost Garmin like 😀

Response from Discovery:

Hi,

Great question. Yes, you can absolutely have both Vitality Active Gear and Apple Watch benefits activated at the same time.

Take advantage of these amazing benefits and get rewarded twice! To find out more about the benefits, please select the below links.

Apple Watch: https://www.discovery.co.za/vitality/apple-watch

Vitality Active Gear: https://www.discovery.co.za/vitality/vitality-active-gear

Let us know if you need anything else. 🙂 

Thanks

So we've had vitality bit never actually played the game.

Is it worth it in the long run, or just too much hassle?

I'm expecting lots of people to totally back it, more just wondering if some people regret having to jump through hoops to get points/status etc.

5 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

I'm expecting lots of people to totally back it, more just wondering if some people regret having to jump through hoops to get points/status etc.

when I was on it it was to much hassle, but then I only had the med aid and vitality, did not have any of the other products, which, from reading this thread, make it much easier to get real rewards

1 hour ago, Shebeen said:

It is WORTH IT .... IF:

- you are already a consistent athlete.

- you are willing to move your life over to the Discovery portfolio .... Short term insurance, Life insurance, Banking, Medical aid, etc .....

Stumbling blocks :

- If you are already sorted with insurance, life insurance, banking, etc .... it can be a real mission to re-allign your life ....  (in fairness, this goes for all the other rewards programs...)

- ALL members on the plan needs to be active .... 

The single biggest pain in the butt .... the way members needs to check if points are loaded, then go through the schlep of following up .... MANY posts of this issue on this thread.

My friend who does the Trans Baviaans, Ironman, and now Comrades scores big time from Vitality !! :clap:  It was already their lifestyle to be ACTIVE.

I am typical weekend rider .... not nearly active enough to get the Vitality rewards.  Even if I upped my game (and have seen this fail time and again with friends that joined Vitality all eager...) my wife is NEVER going to the activities needed to up our points levels.....

Be very realistic about your family, and then decide if Vitality (or any other reward program) fits YOUR lifestyle.

50 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

It all depends on what you want it for. I would say NO unless you have Insurance policies with annual & 5 year payback then it makes a huge difference in your payback.

The other problem is.... are all the members on your scheme as active as you ? and will they get their activity points every year. If you have a partner that doesn't do sport or train then it becomes a struggle & a hassle to get to Gold/Diamond.

So if all members get their 30K activity points easily each year, then it s a walk in the park to do the other online assessments and checkups.

I have their CC so any points off the weekly game board I get go into the Disco miles pot and I use them at Dischem mainly. Only other time i use them is for free coffee at M&B.

And of course every now and again they hand out a crazy voucher - Like the Sportmans R 250.00 voucher which cost R 15.00. 

6 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

It is WORTH IT .... IF:

- you are already a consistent athlete.

- you are willing to move your life over to the Discovery portfolio .... Short term insurance, Life insurance, Banking, Medical aid, etc .....

Stumbling blocks :

- If you are already sorted with insurance, life insurance, banking, etc .... it can be a real mission to re-allign your life ....  (in fairness, this goes for all the other rewards programs...)

- ALL members on the plan needs to be active .... 

The single biggest pain in the butt .... the way members needs to check if points are loaded, then go through the schlep of following up .... MANY posts of this issue on this thread.

My friend who does the Trans Baviaans, Ironman, and now Comrades scores big time from Vitality !! :clap:  It was already their lifestyle to be ACTIVE.

I am typical weekend rider .... not nearly active enough to get the Vitality rewards.  Even if I upped my game (and have seen this fail time and again with friends that joined Vitality all eager...) my wife is NEVER going to the activities needed to up our points levels.....

Be very realistic about your family, and then decide if Vitality (or any other reward program) fits YOUR lifestyle.

And also the unrealistic numbers you are expected to get on assessments

Blood Pressure has to be below 120/80 - Last year I was 120/81 they tested it 4 times and couldn't get below 80 = boom no points ! When i spoke to my doctor about my BP, he tested it and it was 120/94 - he laughed and said its fine.

BMI = below 25 - So at 185 cm i need to weigh just under 85Kg - The last time I weighed that was when I did Sani2C and people were commenting how sick I looked, wife wanted be to got for the big C test was convinced I was ill

2 minutes ago, madmarc said:

And also the unrealistic numbers you are expected to get on assessments

Blood Pressure has to be below 120/80 - Last year I was 120/81 they tested it 4 times and couldn't get below 80 = boom no points ! When i spoke to my doctor about my BP, he tested it and it was 120/94 - he laughed and said its fine.

BMI = below 25 - So at 185 cm i need to weigh just under 85Kg - The last time I weighed that was when I did Sani2C and people were commenting how sick I looked, wife wanted be to got for the big C test was convinced I was ill

VERY valid points.

My BMI is way over that number .... and yet my body fat readings confirm I am "lean" ... just built like a forward prop .... :P

That's been my one "gripe" with Vitality over the years ..... "you" are measured against some model athlete ..... the hard reality is that 10 to 20 percent (probably more) of their clients have some or other health issue which means they will never meet the "unrealistic" criteria.  Okay, okay, I know where Vitality started, and that it is aimed at KEEPING people fit and in shape.

It would be interesting to see if they started "Vitality-2" for the rest of man-kind .... PROPER medical check up, set a bench mark of where you ARE .... then set goals to IMPROVE your health ..... okay, this would be tricky to roll out on a big scale, but then again, the Discovery founder built a name as tackling the  impossible ....

39 minutes ago, worriesnot said:

image.png.52fcd37116b1ca2faf769e62acba1d3a.png

Cutting it close this year....

Will do an easy ride on the last day of the year to make sure we stay on Diamond.

We made it to 100k last week. Usually done by September each year, so was a schlep to get the wife to do her but bit.

Corrected one critical letter  

Edited by Frosty

6 minutes ago, Frosty said:

We made it to 100k last week. Usually done by September each year, so was a schlep to get the wife to do her but.

?? 

:)  Freud would be proud.

On 12/30/2021 at 11:29 AM, ChrisF said:

VERY valid points.

My BMI is way over that number .... and yet my body fat readings confirm I am "lean" ... just built like a forward prop .... :P

That's been my one "gripe" with Vitality over the years ..... "you" are measured against some model athlete ..... the hard reality is that 10 to 20 percent (probably more) of their clients have some or other health issue which means they will never meet the "unrealistic" criteria.  Okay, okay, I know where Vitality started, and that it is aimed at KEEPING people fit and in shape.

It would be interesting to see if they started "Vitality-2" for the rest of man-kind .... PROPER medical check up, set a bench mark of where you ARE .... then set goals to IMPROVE your health ..... okay, this would be tricky to roll out on a big scale, but then again, the Discovery founder built a name as tackling the  impossible ....

Disco should dump all the free and discounted stuff and rather give you a discount on your Medical aid premium based on your level starting at 0 and increasing by 5% for each tier - Now that would be good value and could save many some serious cash

53 minutes ago, madmarc said:

Disco should dump all the free and discounted stuff and rather give you a discount on your Medical aid premium based on your level starting at 0 and increasing by 5% for each tier - Now that would be good value and could save many some serious cash

Hiehie ....

Adrian Gore, founding member of Discovery Health, would LOVE such an approach ....

For better or worse the medical aid council prevents any such "loading of premiums" .....

On 1/1/2022 at 11:30 AM, madmarc said:

I'm all for the suggestion but based on my experince DH will find a way to nail you.

This is my gripe with Discovery Medical and Discovery Life insurance.

I'm a very healthy individual and during the last few years I can count the fingers on my one hand when I really need to see the GP for health related matters, the only other times it was when I had a bike accident and needed to see the GP. I do have a dissability and it is my hearing thus need hearing aids. A decent unit costs around R23k and although it is fully funded by the medical aid the issue is that it uses the funds in my saving account and in previous years it would've thrown me right into the SPG. I had some long discussions in previous years with our compnay healthcare broker in the fairness of this action, but gave up as I was getting nowhere. I have since learned on how to use the system to my advantage when claiming for hearing aids. The other issue is my annual payback on my life insurance based on my vatality status. My gripe here again is that since I claim for the hearing aid device it shows as a medical claim indicating that I had R23k worth of claims and on their payout scale I'm losing out on a few extra $$$.