Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

I joined Vitality on Wednesday and it's been quite a steep learning curve to try and figure out how to get points..especially being a Wahoo user. I actually got some nice tips here on the hub on old threads to get around this issue.

Already changed to endurance category to get max 1200 pts per week.

Record activities on Wahoo Roam. This Syncs to Strava.

From Strava I donwload the fit file, then use Fit File Tools to change the device to Garmin.

Manually upload new file to Garmin Connect.

Garmin Connect syncs to Vitality app.

I see Christiaan from Wahoo said in 2019 that they are working with Vitality to get Wahoo as a recognized device, but the communication about this on the hub stopped around the time Covid hit in 2020.. Surely there must be an easier way by now?! I mean Vitality ran a Wahoo Kickr promo earlier this year.. I'm missing something, right??

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, JohanDiv said:

I joined Vitality on Wednesday and it's been quite a steep learning curve to try and figure out how to get points..especially being a Wahoo user. I actually got some nice tips here on the hub on old threads to get around this issue.

From Strava I donwload the fit file, then use Fit File Tools to change the device to Garmin.

I see Christiaan from Wahoo said in 2019 that they are working with Vitality to get Wahoo as a recognized device, but the communication about this on the hub stopped around the time Covid hit in 2020.. Surely there must be an easier way by now?! I mean Vitality ran a Wahoo Kickr promo earlier this year.. I'm missing something, right??

I also use wahoo mainly, but have a Forerunner 35 also running just for vitality. That does not go to strava etc. Been waiting since way back for an easier way. 

53 minutes ago, Gr3mlin131 said:

I also use wahoo mainly, but have a Forerunner 35 also running just for vitality. That does not go to strava etc. Been waiting since way back for an easier way. 

That's nice if you have an extra Garmin device lying around, but I'm definitely not buying an extra device just for Vitality points. Just a bit bummed about the hassle to get the correct points loaded into the app at the moment, but not that big of a deal.

My wife was paying R1000/month for her Fit45 classes.. we decided to rather get an additional R2mil+R2mil Discovery life insurance policy to gain access to Vitality and cheap Virgin Active memberships. All in all works out at R1100/month for us both. So we are already getting the benefit that we were after..

but I know myself, I like a bit of a carrot, so I'll definitely try to get max Vitality points as much as possible.

3 hours ago, JohanDiv said:

Johan your broker CAN (and really should) guide you through this maise ....

As with all rewards programs .... once you know to shop at the blue shop and not the red one, then the rewards comes in faster.  And with Vitality it is even more important to get the screening and non-smokers and and in place as quick as possible to ramp up the levels .....

On 6/2/2022 at 2:52 PM, Frosty said:

Ek sê maar niks nie...
I got my Insure cashback on the 12th, so maybe my Vitality is the same date.
Will query it on the 17th if nothing, as it would've been a month.

Just an update. So I received all my miles today. 

No cash back for the races yet. Will wait couple more days and then query it next week if there’s nothing paid yet.

1 hour ago, Bub Marley said:

Just an update. So I received all my miles today. 

No cash back for the races yet. Will wait couple more days and then query it next week if there’s nothing paid yet.

My cash back last month was the 12th. So Monday I will query if there is no payment. My races so far should cover the initial joining fee, so every race I do thereafter is surplus.

• 2 weeks later...

What do you guys make of all these "Benefits" coming to Discovery Bank accounts?
https://www.moneyweb.co.za/news/companies-and-deals/discovery-gives-vitality-members-two-big-reasons-to-open-an-account/

The more I read it, the more it sounds like they've shifted benefits that used to be on normal Vitality Health to the Bank...

Flights discounts on Safair, SAA, BA etc.. I know we're waiting to hear how the Comair / Kulula mess unfolds and how Discovery will deal with ticket holders. But for now, regular Vitality doesn't give us local flight discounts at the moment?

Pay-as-you-Gym sounds excellent for occasional users like me, at R75 - R100 per session, but again only with Disc Bank - Why?! Surely Vitality Health members should get some of this benefit.

Sounds like they're now focusing 100% on cross-selling existing Disco clients into the Bank accounts, at the expense of existing loyal Vitality members.  Whacha guys think?

3 minutes ago, Jakkals. said:

I joined the savings account to get a refund for my flight, but alas nothing....

I spoke to my advisor about this. He reckons that this only applied to flights booked for June. I booked for October, and apparently they haven't announced anything about refunds for July onwards ? Eish.

Vitality Money, I would like to know who is on Vitality money gold? I have a CC with them and I have 2 properties, I have an extra RA with Discovery and my Pension with my work(Still not enough), I keep my savings mainly in my BOND so that they ignore (They require R220k saving to get full marks), I have some Unit trust with Allan Gray and still I am on Silver, what else must I do to get to gold?

1 hour ago, Dexter-morgan said:

Vitality Money, I would like to know who is on Vitality money gold? I have a CC with them and I have 2 properties, I have an extra RA with Discovery and my Pension with my work(Still not enough), I keep my savings mainly in my BOND so that they ignore (They require R220k saving to get full marks), I have some Unit trust with Allan Gray and still I am on Silver, what else must I do to get to gold?

I am on gold. If you click on the various "wheels" on the app, it will tell you where the shortfalls in points are. I have a Discovery credit card, savings account with the bare minimum in and medical aid. My insurance, retirement annuity, other savings etc are all with other providers. You just need to make sure that you have submitted valid proof of these to Discovery for them to count. I'm not super wealthy so it is possible to achieve this. My home loan is paid off though, this probably makes a difference because my savings are not sitting in the access bond to reduce the interest. 

10 hours ago, Dexter-morgan said:

I’m on silver. Also not interested in putting whatever savings I have in to get to gold. Think I had to put R90k based on the rings in the Money section of the app.

11 hours ago, Hilton. said:

What do you guys make of all these "Benefits" coming to Discovery Bank accounts?
https://www.moneyweb.co.za/news/companies-and-deals/discovery-gives-vitality-members-two-big-reasons-to-open-an-account/

The more I read it, the more it sounds like they've shifted benefits that used to be on normal Vitality Health to the Bank...

Flights discounts on Safair, SAA, BA etc.. I know we're waiting to hear how the Comair / Kulula mess unfolds and how Discovery will deal with ticket holders. But for now, regular Vitality doesn't give us local flight discounts at the moment?

Pay-as-you-Gym sounds excellent for occasional users like me, at R75 - R100 per session, but again only with Disc Bank - Why?! Surely Vitality Health members should get some of this benefit.

Sounds like they're now focusing 100% on cross-selling existing Disco clients into the Bank accounts, at the expense of existing loyal Vitality members.  Whacha guys think?

They have been moving the goal posts for almost three decades .... each time to promote the new product.  Same as other reward programs .... it is the nature of the beast ....

14 hours ago, ChrisF said:

They have been moving the goal posts for almost three decades .... each time to promote the new product.  Same as other reward programs .... it is the nature of the beast ....

Ja I'm over discovery and their nonsense. If I had a friend who changed the deals he makes with me as often as they do I'd ditch him and not look back. 

Recently initiated increasing my income protection after my bout with COVID and despite have access to 10 years of every heartbeat and health cheklck and doctor's visit they want a million pieces of information ....

If my beneficiaries have to jump through similar hoops if I shuffle off the coil I'll go revenant on them from the other side.

On 6/25/2022 at 11:17 AM, Mamil said:

Ja I'm over discovery and their nonsense. If I had a friend who changed the deals he makes with me as often as they do I'd ditch him and not look back. 

Recently initiated increasing my income protection after my bout with COVID and despite have access to 10 years of every heartbeat and health cheklck and doctor's visit they want a million pieces of information ....

If my beneficiaries have to jump through similar hoops if I shuffle off the coil I'll go revenant on them from the other side.

I know what you mean ... 

I am having similar misgivings about FNB ebucks at the moment ...

These packages all have a similar "core approach" ... use carrots to get the client to buy into the bio.sphere of packages that the group offers.   And as the group grows and addapts, the rewards program changes to get the clients to buy into the new products ....

It may work for a younger generation .... if you stil need a bond, insurance, life insurance, investments, medical ....   easy to lure their full business package into your stable of companies with an effective rewards program.

Slightly irritating if you already have most of these at different companies .... you cant ever get decent rewards without moving half your business around ....

It is what it is ....

Enter with eyes wide open, knowing they want all your business if you want to see decent rewards .... far cry from a few health steps for max benefits of yesteryear ...

Edited by ChrisF

• 3 weeks later...

Looking at buying a Garmin Forerunner and hoping to use the Vitality Device benefit and possible miles. Does anyone know if its possible to use the Device benefit and miles on D-Day? How would I get this? do you still get D-day miles if you pay instore?