Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

I was on Vitality for about 7 years before switching to Multiply 2 years ago - could not be happier. Benefits of Vitality steadily declined, more hoops to jump through and being coerced into getting more Discovery products for the same level of benefit (Banking etc.). I also joined Vitality cycling club with the hope of benefitting from reduced race entries, but found they would only publish the race calendar a few weeks before the next month, which is never sufficient to plan and train. Maybe they fixed that now but I hence didn’t bother to renew. 

Multiply shop also offers great discounts including at cycle lab and garmin devices. I have saved a ton at CL over the years. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seeing as some have commented that Multiply is better, Is it possible to join both Vitality and Multiply? (will it be worth it?) 

1 hour ago, WR 1.0 said:

Seeing as some have commented that Multiply is better, Is it possible to join both Vitality and Multiply? (will it be worth it?) 

Seriously doubt it would be "optimal" ....

Legally you may only belong to one medical aid.

So, as an example, you could join Vitality via one of Discovery's other products, and to Mutliply via their medical aid ... and as we KNOW - they want you buy into their total package .... so wont get optimal benefits from either ....

On 11/15/2022 at 11:56 AM, Frosty said:

Perceived value of Vitality will be different across many different people. For me it’s worth it.

Purchased, today, an iPad (school requirement for daughter 2) and a Garmin (older daughter’s Christmas gift) with my miles, on D-Day. I saved 40% and 45% respectively… worth R4899.50 in savings, and zero cash outlay. I still have 43% of the miles that I’ve collected this year.

I must say, did not know about Miles D-day. I was wasting my miles on nonsense. 

Also bought all kids Xmas presents for savings of R2450 and no cash out lay. :)

I must ask though @Frosty the Mrs wants to join the gym again, is there any way to avoid joining fee or just go with the Virgin Active current specials? 

36 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Seriously doubt it would be "optimal" ....

Legally you may only belong to one medical aid.

So, as an example, you could join Vitality via one of Discovery's other products, and to Mutliply via their medical aid ... and as we KNOW - they want you buy into their total package .... so wont get optimal benefits from either ....

What he said - And if you not a banking client then vitality is basically a free coffee coupon site now

11 minutes ago, Pure Savage said:

I must ask though @Frosty the Mrs wants to join the gym again, is there any way to avoid joining fee or just go with the Virgin Active current specials? 

When we had to “rejoin” we had to pay the joining fee. I think it was R1100 each.

How do the monthly fees compare, i.e. direct with VA or discount through Vitality?

Scanning through some of this thread really cements my decision to quit Vitality and Discovery Bank (even that requires jumping through a bunch of hoops)

As has been mentioned, the rewards have steadily declined with more and more hoops added.

I feel a huge amount of relief walking away - is that weird?

Interesting article from MONEYWEB - kind of confirms my take on Scamality

2 key takeaway comments in the article

"One’s Vitality status is arguably significantly more valuable to Discovery’s actuaries than to the member themselves."

"Maybe the question that needs to be asked is whether it’s necessary to achieve Diamond status on Vitality at all."

https://www.moneyweb.co.za/news/companies-and-deals/is-it-harder-to-get-to-discovery-vitality-diamond-than-before/?fbclid=IwAR32Lv_B2wTxZrhhvhX2G_1BNdMd3KnCMbgCnt870Hg8HVZK9SareJ5A2mI

13 hours ago, Rob K said:

Scanning through some of this thread really cements my decision to quit Vitality and Discovery Bank (even that requires jumping through a bunch of hoops)

As has been mentioned, the rewards have steadily declined with more and more hoops added.

You lucky to be able to extract yourself - I have a life product that lapses if I drop vitality and the value seriously declines if i drop below Diamond - I have a life sentence handed down by my Med Aid 🤪

I missed Diamond last year by a measly 360 points.

Exhausted everything I could, 60k from fitness activities, the health check (cholesterol has always been >5) is an area to improve for 2023. I left it too late to see a registered Dietician, which would have pulled me over the line.

It certainly isn’t as easy as in the past, when I would finish the year on 120k points, but it is still achievable.

3 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Exhausted everything I could, 60k from fitness activities, the health check (cholesterol has always been >5) is an area to improve for 2023. I left it too late to see a registered Dietician, which would have pulled me over the line.

It certainly isn’t as easy as in the past, when I would finish the year on 120k points, but it is still achievable.

This was us with 5 days to go... 

image.png.d103b208fb92376449ad18e057f91967.png

Got the last needed points with a lazy 30 minute ride :rolleyes:

18 hours ago, WR 1.0 said:

Yes, you can, I am on both, Vitality through my wife's medical aid and Momentum Multiply through our Group life cover, I could go onto premium with no cost, now I just need to get to the next level.

15 hours ago, Rob K said:

Out if interest, 
Did you find something better and if so where did you go to ?

33 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Yeah I missed out by 3300, my wife only got active after June. 

To be fair to vitality et al, getting fit and healthier does make a big difference, just wish it was easier to track.