Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

I did not signup for a watch. Im saying that you are still paying the monthly membership every month but you are missing out on rewards. It maybe a cashback/smoothie what ever reward disco decides to give that month.

Gotcha.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It would have been pretty darn cool if they implemented it correctly in the first place! Just don't like the way they are trying to screw us over, the members who do reach their weekly goals? If it was a level playing field and I didn't achieve the goals I have no problem accepting it and paying for it.

Interesting that you feel like you're being screwed over... 

About a year before they implemented this, I heard some stats come out of Discovery that their members on gold cost them the least amount in terms of claims etc. So they implement a program designed to get you fitter (emulate the members on gold, that are costing them less money because they aren't as sick). I'm happy to be screwed over, if I cost my medical aid less, I'm generally a happier person. 

It would be impossible for them to cater for everyone with one program, this program caters for most people.

I'm not sure why you feel like the playing field isn't level? Unfortunately the nature of fitness is that you have to do more and more to keep your fitness, nature's a bitch. If Discovery didn't lower the points for people who didn't reach their points, those people would stop exercising - kind of defeats the point of the program. those people whose points are going up because they're meeting their goals are actually getting fitter and benefiting from the system, in more ways than Discovery's rewards. In the long term they will get sick less, cost their medical aid less and be happier human beings.

not trying to screw you over - just wanting to get it to the point that it's a challenge...

I will admit that for me, that would be about 3,000 points or so given that I rev high. But ito time, 1,500 is probably more challenging at the moment. Not able to ride for 2h30 every weekend. 

True, they want to get to the point that it's a challenge so that members like me fail. They have their clever guys who worked this out so that they can save some money. They'll rather screw over their members who are fit and healthy. It makes financial sense as a business if you have thousands of vitality members, including the brokers who gets commission for new members. Follow the money trail. Like I said, level the playing fields, stop changing the rules and then I will have no problem for them to increase the goals.

Barhugger. Did you take the Apple watch deal? Are you a disgruntled vitality client, or is this just a fun pissing contest for you?

Anyone on Vitality BEFORE the rewards program was implemented was is still paying the same amount now. The fee hasn't gone up yet the number of reward benefits has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by geraldm24

About a year before they implemented this, I heard some stats come out of Discovery that their members on gold cost them the least amount in terms of claims etc. So they implement a program designed to get you fitter (emulate the members on gold, that are costing them less money because they aren't as sick). I'm happy to be screwed over, if I cost my medical aid less, I'm generally a happier person. 

It would be impossible for them to cater for everyone with one program, this program caters for most people.

I'm not sure why you feel like the playing field isn't level? Unfortunately the nature of fitness is that you have to do more and more to keep your fitness, nature's a bitch. If Discovery didn't lower the points for people who didn't reach their points, those people would stop exercising - kind of defeats the point of the program. those people whose points are going up because they're meeting their goals are actually getting fitter and benefiting from the system, in more ways than Discovery's rewards. In the long term they will get sick less, cost their medical aid less and be happier human beings.

To my logic I think Nathrix would see the playing field as equal if all proper systems were in place....each individual was catered for using proper algorithms....perhaps sending each Vitality member for a test to see if their heart revs high or low and then applying a different table for each.......at the moment it looks like a "good for one is good for all" and we are all really different......

Barhugger. Did you take the Apple watch deal? Are you a disgruntled vitality client, or is this just a fun pissing contest for you?

I agree, that is the million dollar question. What could be a really helpful thread for interested and affected members to discuss and enquire about the suite of "products" from Discovery and Vitality is being stretched out by pages of rants about a singular, fairly simple topic on one of the offerings. Actually becoming quite irritating......

Harry...let me ask the same....is this just another post for you....are you actually going to read what I type here.....I doubt it.......because I have said numerous times now I did not take the watch.....I have said a few times for me this is beyond smoothies and a watch......it's about a company with no scruples.....it's about claiming to use a thesis from one foundation and then contradicting that same foundation with their percentage scale.....it's beyond free stuff for a pisser like myself.......

As far as I know Barhugger is not on facebook.

Not sure about the other social media platforms.

I agree, that is the million dollar question. What could be a really helpful thread for interested and affected members to discuss and enquire about the suite of "products" from Discovery and Vitality is being stretched out by pages of rants about a singular, fairly simple topic on one of the offerings. Actually becoming quite irritating......

The topic says...."everything you need to know"....you will have to stomach all of it.....

No, not just me, plenty others feel the same way, go search twitter and facebook.

About a year before they implemented this, I heard some stats come out of Discovery that their members on gold cost them the least amount in terms of claims etc. So they implement a program designed to get you fitter (emulate the members on gold, that are costing them less money because they aren't as sick).

The problem now is that those "gold members" joined in the excitement and now feel screwed over.

I'm happy to be screwed over, if I cost my medical aid less, I'm generally a happier person. 

How can you feel you are screwed over if you medical aid cost less?

Exactly, there in lies the problem! There system is flawed, it's screwing some members over.

I'm not sure why you feel like the playing field isn't level?

1.Continuously increasing goals for members who reach their weekly goals.

2.Change the rules on approved devices.

3.Changed the points structure.

Unfortunately the nature of fitness is that you have to do more and more to keep your fitness, nature's a bitch.

Really, I'll make a note of that.

If Discovery didn't lower the points for people who didn't reach their points, those people would stop exercising - kind of defeats the point of the program. those people whose points are going up because they're meeting their goals are actually getting fitter and benefiting from the system, in more ways than Discovery's rewards.

Only chasing your HR up to more than 80% of the max for a couple of hours a week make me fitter and helps achieving goals, excluding regular long rides? Please provide the link for this scientific paper. That's genius pappie!

In the long term they will get sick less, cost their medical aid less and be happier human beings.

So maxing out my HR for a couple of hours every week won't make me weak and vulnerable, it will make me strong and I will never get sick?

To my logic I think Nathrix would see the playing field as equal if all proper systems were in place....each individual was catered for using proper algorithms....perhaps sending each Vitality member for a test to see if their heart revs high or low and then applying a different table for each.......at the moment it looks like a "good for one is good for all" and we are all really different......

Hit the nail on it's head!

I have just received my credit card statement, and I see a CashBack of R172.50 for Team Vitality... That is 50% of the cost for the Emperor's race. Considering I got a free entry, that makes it R522.50 just from that event.

I think they have made a mistake there... and if it is reversed, so what - the entry cost me nothing anyway. Add the other refunds I have already received for the other races, and it gives me reason to smile. I'm officially in the positive i.t.o. cash outlayed vs refunds received.

Gym costs me R209 per month (for 2 adults) to belong to Virgin Active, but thanks to the VAR program, I have the opportunity to get that refunded too if we both meet our goals.

Free movies for my two girls, as long as we go before 7pm. At the price Ster-Kinekor charges for their movies... ka-ching. 

About R110 per month for using my credit card at Woolies (who I consider expensive) for buying healthy food.

I won't divulge my savings on the Life policy, but without the integration between the various products, it would much more.

All of that for R269 per month (for 2 adult members) to belong to Vitality.

Harry...let me ask the same....is this just another post for you....are you actually going to read what I type here.....I doubt it.......because I have said numerous times now I did not take the watch.....I have said a few times for me this is beyond smoothies and a watch......it's about a company with no scruples.....it's about claiming to use a thesis from one foundation and then contradicting that same foundation with their percentage scale.....it's beyond free stuff for a pisser like myself.......

For me, its just another post.

Wow... you guys must really love your free coffees  :eek:

PS: In spite of missing the odd goal with my questionable watch, the wife and I hit gold status at a canter over a month ago. There are no doubt a couple minor niggles in the system, but it's an otherwise world class scheme. You might well notice many of the other big players trying to follow their model, but are for the large part falling short.

Thanks as always to Myles for helping out where he can :thumbup: