Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

Hi guys, i just activated active rewards. Have never thought of it in the past as i dont like to jump thru loops to get this and that, a bit old school. So i have a few noob questions.

I see they charge you a once off activation fee of almost R1 000, which goes of your discovery credit card, which ihave had for years.If you reach your weekly goals do they refund you that as well or not.

They list for example a series 3 watch at R7 400, but i can get the same or very similar from amazon for 200usd. So do they add the R999 activation ontop of the R7 400 for the series 3. On takealot and istore the series 3 is R3 999 or similar/. So maybe the price has come down.

I already have a decent watch, so would give this to my son for Christmas, i work out, get the goals, he uses the watch lol.

Is my thinking on track here or what am i missing?

I was also thinking of upgrading to discovery bank, i already spend over 5k per month on the card, so it seems if you opt for a gold card, thats R75 per month on bank fees, so much less than standard bank where i am currently. It seems not bad these watch and phone deals...

If i mtb 3 x per week where i usually get 300 points, thats 900 points for the week, if i can do that lets say 2 x weeks out of the month then surely i am scoring compared to not using this whole active rewards?

You pay R999 at the start, which is non-refundable.

If you meet 4 goals per month, you don't get charged anything. If you meet all 24 month, you'll end up with the watch having cost you R999 only.

I have 5 months left on my second watch, and have yet to pay a cent, so it's definitely easy enough to get the watch *fully funded.     * fully funded = R999.

The R7400 is the retail price for an Apple Watch 5 (R7800 at iStore), so divide by 24 months and you'll get to the R308.33. If you meet 0-1 goal(s) every month, then you pay the retail price for that month, 1/24th of the full price. 

In the US, it's $199 is for the GPS only version 38mm, while it's $299 is for the GPS+Cellular and 42mm versions (GPS only).

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanx guys, all understood. Problem is, life happens, for me to say i will get 900 points every week, 4 weeks in a row, dont think it will happen. But even if i do 400 points a week i guess it still counts for something. Re booster, dont think you can get an apple watch on booster at sportsmans, maybe its just garmins, fitbits etc...

I am still leaning towards amazon, with shipping i can get a series 3 landed for 230usd, duties, vat, all in for R3 500. Space grey 38mm gps only. Will wait till november, massive black friday specials perhaps...

Thanx guys, all understood. Problem is, life happens, for me to say i will get 900 points every week, 4 weeks in a row, dont think it will happen. But even if i do 400 points a week i guess it still counts for something. Re booster, dont think you can get an apple watch on booster at sportsmans, maybe its just garmins, fitbits etc...

I am still leaning towards amazon, with shipping i can get a series 3 landed for 230usd, duties, vat, all in for R3 500. Space grey 38mm gps only. Will wait till november, massive black friday specials perhaps...

It won't count for anything if your goal is 900

Hi everyone, is there a way to get points for cycling without having an "Authorised watch".

I have a Xiaomi amazfit watch and i am still very happy with it...in the past i use to sync strava-> 

Samsung health - > Vitality 

But that hasn't been working for a while.....can i upload a GPX file to Samsung/Garmin/Huawei/Fitbit?

or any other tips and tricks to sync strava with vitality.

Hi everyone, is there a way to get points for cycling without having an "Authorised watch".

I have a Xiaomi amazfit watch and i am still very happy with it...in the past i use to sync strava->

But that hasn't been working for a while.....can i upload a GPX file to Samsung/Garmin/Huawei/Fitbit?

Nope, there are devuce ids attached to the uploads and gpx files do not contain hr data so would be worthless anyway.

As Reme said, nope.

Use the Samsung Health app to record your activity & steps for 100 points. Or if you have a Bluetooth HR strap, connect it to your phone and earn up to 300 points with the Samsung Health app.

Strava will defunct soon as a recording app as they are stopping bluetooth and Ant+ connectivity

https://road.cc/content/tech-news/267687-strava-app-stops-supporting-bluetooth-and-ant-device-pairing-and-people

So you going to have to buy a dedicated device if you want to record for vitality to get the points

You've been unable to earn Vitality points by recording with Strava for the past several years.

I could be wrong but with an HR strap or band that can connect to your phone, you should be able to earn the max amount of points by recording with any of the supported apps on your phone. iHealth, Samsung Health, Garmin Connect, Polar Flow, Suunto etc.

You've been unable to earn Vitality points by recording with Strava for the past several years.

I could be wrong but with an HR strap or band that can connect to your phone, you should be able to earn the max amount of points by recording with any of the supported apps on your phone. iHealth, Samsung Health, Garmin Connect, Polar Flow, Suunto etc.

Agreed on the past several years, but bar_1 either hasn't been using it for his vitality points or has just started again hence his question I guess?

Agreed on the past several years, but bar_1 either hasn't been using it for his vitality points or has just started again hence his question I guess?

I gave up , after strava stopped working.

But decided to give it another try.

I am 99% sure GPX does contain HR data, will confirm it later.

Also i think i made some progress....there is an app called "health sync", it can sync google fit to samsung health.

So it will be....Strava->google fit->Samsung health-> Vitality ...

Edit:

Strava->Samsung-> vitality was definitely working, not too long ago...

beginning of the year for sure.

something is now broken with Strava and Samsung

Edited by bar_1

Also i think i made some progress....there is an app called "health sync", it can sync google fit to samsung health.

Vitality will recognise that it wasn't recorded on an approved device and you will not be allocated any points.

Edit:

Strava->Samsung-> vitality was definitely working, not too long ago...

beginning of the year for sure.

something is now broken with Strava and Samsung

Just record straight to Samsung health app. I have a wahoo, so that's how I get my Hr based weekly points

Vitality will recognise that it wasn't recorded on an approved device and you will not be allocated any points.

ok, so i imported my GPX file to garmin connect, then i exported the file (now the garmin GPX custom tag are showing), deleted the activity and added the new GPX with the custom tag....will update if working.

• 2 weeks later...

( Off the topic)  My rides are not uploading to Discovery Vitality from STRAVA.

I use a Suunto Ambit 3 HR device. Sync and Pair settings seems ok because my rides are uploading to STRAVA from the device. And

My daily steps do upload to Vitality when i sync, however none of my rides would sync to Vitality from Strava.

Any advice?