Muttley

Sunlight dish liquid, water for everything, CleanGreen and toothbrush for the drive-train, that's all I use. found you have to immediately start cleaning the chain once spraying on the Cleangreen, otherwise it does not do much. then go over it afterwards with the sunlight and water mixture. And a trickle of water from the tap, no pressure washer ...

Got 2500km out of my last chain, and more than 5000km out of the cassette before it started skipping badly, so happy with the method.

And of course try and clean the stanchions on the suspension after every ride if possible.

Spot on to this....and I've used Sunlight for years. Works like a charm!

In got a 5l of dirt nurse as a present and use that.

In find it works well: spray it undiluted on the drive train and dilute a little for rest of the bike. No idea on what it costs though

CleanGreen and toothbrush for the drive-train, as well as a chain cleaner. I throw some CleanGreen in it and then spin the chain through. I do go over the chain afterwards with the toothbrush and some CleanGreen, because even though the chain cleaner does a good job, it doesn't get all the gunk out. I use car shampoo for the rest of the bike. :30 mins flat and she's sparkling clean.

Just as a matter of interest , I have come across a product that is a natural solvent(completely harmless) to us and environment. It's has proven to degrease a drive train extremely well and it has now proven to be well suited for an aerosol can. If the numbers add up and I could bring it to market at a reasonable price I will have something fun to show all you hubber.

Edited by Brickleberry

I use Halls T4 bike cleaner diluted about 1 to 5 sprayed on using a hand pump bottle and wash off with water after 5 minutes. Buying a 5l for about R100 means it lasts forever. Halls T5 is used for cleaning the chain and cassettes and really does an excellent job.

The Namgear stuff is great and really good value.  Buy the 5L bottles of bike wash (dilute 5:1 with water, spray on, wash off), chain cleaner and bike polish and they will last for a very long time.

Also bought a 5liter each of Namgear's chain cleaner and bike wash. It doesn't appear to be too harsh and does a good job at a reasonable cost.

And NEVER use a pressure washer! Lost a friend when I found him "cleaning" my bike with a pressure washer when I turned my back... 

I have a gardener - bless him - who washes my bike without me asking.

The bike looks GREAT.

I will ask him for advice on cleaning products...

Same Here bless Him

• 1 year later...

Time to revive this thread ....

Some nice puddled around, and this is what the Bike looks like after a ride or two ...

post-110956-0-44805800-1504542937_thumb.jpg

post-110956-0-25170500-1504542962_thumb.jpg

So here is my personal zen-art-of-bike-wash routine ....

Bike on the cheapy stand, cleaning utensils, hose pipe, etc all on the ready -

post-110956-0-29662000-1504542919_thumb.jpg

wheels off, and to the side -

post-110956-0-64853200-1504543032_thumb.jpg

The chain is hanging on the frame ... time to get the chain stay in place -

post-110956-0-21048400-1504543099_thumb.jpg

Chain cleaner at the ready, bit of NamCharlie15, top up with water -

post-110956-0-68895200-1504543183_thumb.jpg

post-110956-0-29869300-1504543200_thumb.jpg

clip onto chain -

post-110956-0-92123400-1504543251_thumb.jpg

turn the pedals about 30 revolutions to clean the chain - or so say the directions.  After 30-odd revs check the condition of the chain.  I washed out the cleaner, and re-did it with a lightermix of the NamCharlie.  Wash out the unit again, and repeat with clean water.  I finished it off by turning the pedals while spraying clean water onto the chain.

Time to clean all the "gears" .... starting with the rear derailure -  :eek:   :eek:

post-110956-0-51814700-1504543455_thumb.jpg

some more NamCharlie, and a paint brush .... then the front gears .....

Finally time to clean the rear cluster.  Spray some NamCharlie, and clean it with a paint brush, rinse off ....

post-110956-0-38295700-1504543567_thumb.jpg

NOTE - I use NamCharlie as this is what my local bike shop uses.  Most "degreasers" will do the same job ....

Rear cluster nice and sparkling clean -

post-110956-0-52443600-1504543764_thumb.jpg

Okay, while I am at the wheels.  Time for some NamBravo25, spray it on the tires and rims, and wash of with the sprayer set to "shower" mode, while using a bottle brush to clean the tires and rims.

post-110956-0-09652700-1504543735_thumb.jpg

back to the bike .... shower mode, and wash done the excess mud.  Spray with NamBravo25, shower mode and the bottle brush ..... jip, it gets the mud off .... but NO, the bike stayed "dull" ....

Got the bucket with some water and the cars "wash and wax".  Sponge and I washed the frame -

post-110956-0-12401000-1504543943_thumb.jpg

Rinsed it off, and finally it looked clean and shiny

almost done .... almost .....

THREE things still to be done :

- DRY the bike .... as this was a nice sunny day a short tar ride was going to do the drying.

- BRAKES !!!  All this water and chemicals are NOT ideal for the brakes ....  from the start try not to spray chemicals on the brake pads !!!  The final step of my cleaning process is to use alchol swabs, or alchol on a rag to clean the brake discs.  

post-110956-0-32572100-1504544166_thumb.jpg

The rag gets folded double and swiped between the brake pads ..  The discs are "okay", man lots of grim coming off the pads !!

post-110956-0-00288000-1504544188_thumb.jpg

NOTE - it takes a moment for the brakes to get sharp after such a wash .... but at least none of the squeling of a normal watery wash ....

Time to refit the wheels; and the very last step - LUBE THE CHAIN ... after such a thorough clean I make sure to properly lube the chain !!

While the bike is on the rack you can also take a moment to check the gear-selection-settings .... obviously use the wash to check each item, ie

- play on the hubs, smoothness of turning

- play on the neck

- play on the bottom bracket, smoothness..

- rear cluster, condition and smoothness

- front and back brake pads

- rims running true ....

done with a bit of attention, and you have just given your bike a proper "service" ....  and if any of these "felt wrong", depending on your skill level, fix it or time for a visit to your local bike shop

I only use Sunlight liquid on my bikes. Then Mr Min, but only the Lavender one. Reminds me of my Grans house.

I once used car shampoo with extra wax. For a lasting shine they said.

My bike did shine. My brakes however sounded like an overloaded taxi on its way to Moria

Edited by Vetseun

I only use Sunlight liquid on my bikes. Then Mr Min, but only the Lavender one. Reminds me of my Grans house.

I once used car shampoo with extra wax. For a lasting shine they said.

My bike did shine. My brakes however sounded like an overloaded taxi on its way to Moria

JIP !!

disc brakes DONT like strange chemicals ....