TokaiMTB Update: Possible earlier access?

TokaiMTB

So they haven't notified any of their stakeholders? 

Well at least we know they haven't spent the time working on their PR efforts, piss poor that they haven't kept the people they sold activity cards to in the loop (excuse the pun).

No doubt the enforcers will be out with full attitude to come down hard on anybody not carrying valid permits.

IMHO: so much opportunity lost to create goodwill, to educate and get everyone on board as responsible users. Seems nothing has changed with Sanparks.  

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

..............Seems nothing has changed with Sanparks.

Those big organizations don't change quickly. Perhaps that is a good thing for someone that has to manage very long term goals like conservation? I've decided to go and check out Silvermine to see what they have done there since the fire. If the signage was replaced, the boardwalk re-built, the ablutions repaired, the picnic sites fixed, the single track cleared and so on, then I'll give them some slack. I doubt they would have had time to re-build the tented camp by now, but that was a waste anyway in my opinion, so let's hope they spend that money on something better.

Confirmed, Silvermine open as of tomorrow.

Hi Myles,

Awesome news as this is 5km from home. Can't wait to get back on the trails?

Do you know who would best to contact in order to confirm whether the trails will be open?

Cheers

Hi Myles,

Awesome news as this is 5km from home. Can't wait to get back on the trails?

Do you know who would best to contact in order to confirm whether the trails will be open?

Cheers

I say, just show up at the gate with money / card in hand and a hopeful expression on the face! :)

I say, just show up at the gate with money / card in hand and a hopeful expression on the face! :)

Good idea, but the problem is there has been no one there to receive your smile since March. So if it is still closed they wont have anyone at the gate.

I am not riding today, so I cant check the situation out. The gate was still barbed wired on Monday morning.

According to Table Mountain Bikers Facebook page

"As of this morning,Silvermine West is open.Noordhoek Peak & Ou Wapad are open to all users.Carry your permits, Rangers are checking."

anyone have a map ?  Only ever really rode from Tokai parking lot.

post-41053-0-27561500-1450772870_thumb.jpg

The Silvermine loop is on the left of the map.

Drive up Ou Kaapse weg from the Tokai side. At the top turn right into the gates, go past the ticket office. Dirt parking lot on the right about 1.5km up.

No single track only jeep track.

Just buy a day permit at the gate or go an renew your wildcard

Um about that wildcard thing, do you mean activity card? Cause my mistake the first time was getting a wild card and then being told at tokai that I needed an activity card?

Um about that wildcard thing, do you mean activity card? Cause my mistake the first time was getting a wild card and then being told at tokai that I needed an activity card?

Yep...Wild Card is useless, you'll need an Activity Permit ;(

Thanks.   How much in terms of distance and is it signposted?

So close to home, and I have an Activity Card I literally renewed a week before Tokai burned down.... now to find the effing thing.