Touring suggestion?

Sepia

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tarp tent...

More info one your DIY/ imagination regarding this please. Looks like a workable solution...

Its a very workable solution...

This will fully be tested on our little trip next week...

The whole idea of the tarp tent is to use trees/fencing/bicycle as the support of your tent, no need to carry poles

This basically consists of a tarp, rope and pegs

Google is full of ideas...

Its a very workable solution...

This will fully be tested on our little trip next week...

The whole idea of the tarp tent is to use trees/fencing/bicycle as the support of your tent, no need to carry poles

This basically consists of a tarp, rope and pegs

Google is full of ideas...

Yeah I'm familiar with the idea and, thinking of doing it myself in the next trip, have googled and googled and googled.

I was interested in your specific setup. Material? How many grommets? Running a centre line? Ground sheet or foam pad? Etc.

.......have googled and googled and googled.

I was interested in your specific setup. Material? How many grommets? Running a centre line? Ground sheet or foam pad? Etc.

Material I was looking for ripstop nylon tent material but could not find any at the time, ended up buying some "umbrella" material

Running a anchor rope accros the bike that acts as a support line for the tarp, 8 grommets spread out evenly

Not carrying a matres, just small ground sheet to try keep sleeping bag dry

Thanks

Ill still tweak a bit over the weekend...

Below is my diy from yesterday...

attachicon.gifDSC_0026.JPG

Interesting design freak. Did you by anychance take a pic of what the entrance looks like? Interested to see what you are using as upright supports. From what I can see it looks like you have taken your front wheel off and the tarp is resting on the top of your bars in the front and over your rear wheel on the back? My eyes arent too sharp so correct me if I'm wrong? I gather you are running a guy line out from your bike in the opposite direction to the tarp to keep your bike upright? I played around with a similar design with my bike upside down. Turned a few heads at the campsite that I was at and had someone offer me a spare tent  :mellow:

Interesting design freak. Did you by anychance take a pic of what the entrance looks like? Interested to see what you are using as upright supports. From what I can see it looks like you have taken your front wheel off and the tarp is resting on the top of your bars in the front and over your rear wheel on the back? My eyes arent too sharp so correct me if I'm wrong? I gather you are running a guy line out from your bike in the opposite direction to the tarp to keep your bike upright? I played around with a similar design with my bike upside down. Turned a few heads at the campsite that I was at and had someone offer me a spare tent  :mellow:

Jip

Got a anchor line crossing the bike, helps a bit of support on the tarp side, and anchoring the bike to to fall over. I played around a bit with taking the front wheel off and turning the bike upside down... taking the wheel off and plasing it next to the bike closes the opening between the fork and front down tube.

The seat bag has no support, bassically just forming a "tube" to stuff my tent and sleeping bag in, then  rolling the edge and buckling it it, i pritty much coppied this part off my Ortlieb panniers...

felt crafty again last night... wanted a little more space for a spare short... as it ended up making the seat bag a little short...

so, tadaaaa!!

post-12987-0-71101000-1456923298_thumb.jpg

Some random info that might be of use to someone... For those of you that drink Horlicks, keep the container, I found it fits perfectly in a bottle cage and is a handy storage container, Its a decent volume, has a nice wide mouth for easy access and is transparant once you rip off the outer plastic branding. 

http://mytuck.co.za/image/cache/retail/makro-horlicks-300x300.jpg

Edited by GingNinj

Freak who made that frame bag for your Anthem? As a fellow Anthm rider I would love one!

Freak who made that frame bag for your Anthem? As a fellow Anthm rider I would love one!

me, myself and I...  ^_^