Touring suggestion?

Sepia

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not what you've done at the bar, what's it called? :ph34r:

Made my day.  Good chirp.  Definitely chirp of the week!!!

(Pretty quick this morning Boab)

• 4 weeks later...

Love the thread and input guys!!

I am doing a charity fundraiser and cycling on my own from Windhoek to Cape Town. Still, need to get my hands on racks and bags and all the goodies. Trying to keep costs low (fundraiser = trying not to waste money obviously). Has anyone ever attempted to make a rack rather than buying the super expensive kit? Using a normal Scott MTB. Any input would be great. 

I am doing a charity fundraiser and cycling on my own from Windhoek to Cape Town. Still, need to get my hands on racks and bags and all the goodies. Trying to keep costs low (fundraiser = trying not to waste money obviously). Has anyone ever attempted to make a rack rather than buying the super expensive kit? Using a normal Scott MTB. Any input would be great. 

Hi Neville, welcome...

Definitely possible, but personally I just don’t think it’s worth the effort if you want peace of mind and remain lightweight… after your first trip you will realize that it would have been your last. If you can, try invest in good set. Buy second hand if need be.

Hi Neville, welcome...

Definitely possible, but personally I just don’t think it’s worth the effort if you want peace of mind and remain lightweight… after your first trip you will realize that it would have been your last. If you can, try invest in good set. Buy second hand if need be.

That being said, I do have something for sale if you interested...

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/230573-on-bike-storage/

Hi neville, rode from kenya through tanzania and zanzibar. I bought the cheapest pannier bags from chainreaction cycles and bought the normal pannier you get from any lbs, most lbs have these as they are used by everyone that travels to work and back on their bikes. they have like a wedge opening and closure setup.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi anyone got a route off road from Heidelberg to Golden gate I am keen to plan a trip that way then head into Lesotho down out Sani pass way

Hi anyone got a route off road from Heidelberg to Golden gate I am keen to plan a trip that way then head into Lesotho down out Sani pass way

Hi Neville

What fixing points does your bike have for a rack?

I have one you can have, if it can be fitted correctly on your bike.

If I may add, it is not a good idea having "made a plan" to fit a rack when things go pear along the way.  Then you are in the dwang, properly.

Edited by Sepia

Hi Neville

What fixing points does your bike have for a rack?

I have one you can have, if it can be fitted correctly on your bike.

If I may add, it is not a good idea having "made a plan" to fit a rack when things go pear along the way.  Then you are in the dwang, properly.

Sheesh Sepia, you really are a good guy! If I do get to meet you after S2C, I really would like to buy you a beer.

Sheesh Sepia, you really are a good guy! If I do get to meet you after S2C, I really would like to buy you a beer.

Thanks Slowbee but I can be difficult if I am crossed!

Just thought of paying it forward and getting guys touring. (Not many are better than you with your fire fighting skills)

It is a Topeak rack which I am not planning to use as I have the Old Man and Thule racks and bags.

I have a set of Lotus bags in good condition with rain covers which I have just fitted to the rack and all seems good but I may ask for a few bob for these.  They are too big for my needs. 

Edited by Sepia

• 1 month later...

If anyone is wanting to get into touring have a look on the Massive Adventures website. Thet have 3 really good rides/races coming up in July. They are a great controlled environment to start touring. I have just completed the Durban Dash and their races/rides are brilliantly organised.

If anyone is wanting to get into touring have a look on the Massive Adventures website. Thet have 3 really good rides/races coming up in July. They are a great controlled environment to start touring. I have just completed the Durban Dash and their races/rides are brilliantly organised.

You should have given me a shout when in Durbs?

+1 on Massisve Adventures

I got to know Andy a couple of years back, great guy!