Flat Pedals vs Flat SPD Pedals vs SPD Pedals

AlanD

It all comes down to personal preference....

The way I think about it is if you want to go to 50km jeep track every second day get yourself some cleats.

If you want to up your skills, try a little jump or two, hit a berm, walk back up 50m to hit a section 10 times over then flats may be for you. 

Side note, skating shoes are rad I just find that they hardly last, I will massacre a pair in 3 months so 5-10's are way stronger and worth it 

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tore an MCL ligament in August last year riding DX clip ins. I would not have done the injury had I been on flats as it was all about my foot not unclipping and the bike staying and me going, as it were.

As a result I decided to try pinned flat pedals while recovering ( Giant made by VP) I had never ridden flats before and have spent 20 years on either strap in or spd's . Needless to say its quite an adjustment. What the other flat riders on this thread have said is spot on. Here are my observations after 3 months of mixing it up between the two.:

1. You quickly learn not to spin your feet off the pedals if you start pedalling in too low a gear;

2. You quickly learn to weight your feet, heels down in order to stay connected to the bike in the chunky stuff - you have to focus on your feet like never before - it does become second nature quite quickly though;

3.Riding drops and jumps requires more concentration to ensure you stay with the bike in the air;

4. Its not that hard to do an English bunny hop with flats ( I cant do a proper US manual bunny hop even with clip ins, yet);

5. The damage the pins do to your flesh are over rated. I have had a few pedal bites but nothing serious;

6. If you ride slow tech terrain and/or have a injured knee as I did, flats are a winner. Wish I'd been riding them when I did the race where I injured myself;

7. Shoes are important but not as much as you'd think. I quite like softer soled shoes - you can feel the pedals and pins. Currently trying a pair of Etnies skate shoes with good success. 5.10's are great but overpriced methinks. 

James Wilson says in his articles that you should give it 12 rides to get used to flats.

I use flats with 5-10s for part of the year, usually now, and then switch back to clipins when I start pushing up the milage

I do the same when training on long flat road for my racing, I use my spds. when I do more trail and enduro riding I go back to flats.

I went the flat route a few months back. Shimano Saints (waited until they were on special through CWC, and as mentioned above, remove the washers to extend the pins for more grip) , and due to wanting to only test things out and budget, bought a pair of these:  http://www.tekkietown.co.za/index.php/brands/hi-tec/hi-tec-figaro-blk-multi-mens.html

Grip has been pretty good (I can only imagine how much better 5-10s etc are) but wish they were a little more stiff. I remember riding this weekend after a couple of months of not riding and thinking that I had to actually lift my foot off the pedal to reposition my foot at times. And to be able to move my foot on the pedal to different positions also makes it feel more natural, as apposed to being confined to only one position when clipped in.

So far it has given me more confidence, and I can feel my riding technique and skills has improved. 

And as mentioned before, it does take a bit of getting used in the beginning. 

It all comes down to personal preference....

The way I think about it is if you want to go to 50km jeep track every second day get yourself some cleats.

If you want to up your skills, try a little jump or two, hit a berm, walk back up 50m to hit a section 10 times over then flats may be for you.

Side note, skating shoes are rad I just find that they hardly last, I will massacre a pair in 3 months so 5-10's are way stronger and worth it

That is exactly what i am aiming for: up my skills, hit a small jump and ride a few berms. There is a small jump at thaba close to where the fire station is and when you hit it there is an immediate short uphill that i like to practice on amd hit it like 4-5 times.

I don't do long distance at all as i just dont have the time soy fitmess is weekend warrior fitness.

I tore an MCL ligament in August last year riding DX clip ins. I would not have done the injury had I been on flats as it was all about my foot not unclipping and the bike staying and me going, as it were.

As a result I decided to try pinned flat pedals while recovering ( Giant made by VP) I had never ridden flats before and have spent 20 years on either strap in or spd's . Needless to say its quite an adjustment. What the other flat riders on this thread have said is spot on. Here are my observations after 3 months of mixing it up between the two.:

1. You quickly learn not to spin your feet off the pedals if you start pedalling in too low a gear;

2. You quickly learn to weight your feet, heels down in order to stay connected to the bike in the chunky stuff - you have to focus on your feet like never before - it does become second nature quite quickly though;

3.Riding drops and jumps requires more concentration to ensure you stay with the bike in the air;

4. Its not that hard to do an English bunny hop with flats ( I cant do a proper US manual bunny hop even with clip ins, yet);

5. The damage the pins do to your flesh are over rated. I have had a few pedal bites but nothing serious;

6. If you ride slow tech terrain and/or have a injured knee as I did, flats are a winner. Wish I'd been riding them when I did the race where I injured myself;

7. Shoes are important but not as much as you'd think. I quite like softer soled shoes - you can feel the pedals and pins. Currently trying a pair of Etnies skate shoes with good success. 5.10's are great but overpriced methinks.

Sorry to hear about your injury.

You have made some good points here and i am getting the feeling the using your feet correctly is key to this whole flat pedal thing.

All the good stuff has been posted. Well done guys!

The main areas where flats help you to up your skill level is:

1. It forces you to keep heels down and legs supple and relaxed over rough stuff. ie. correct technique. I'm faster over rough on flats than cleats now.

2. It forces you to compress the bicycle down and allow it to rebound upwards with your body when doing jumps and drops. Thus you are not attached to the bike but it follows you. ie. correct technique

That is exactly what i am aiming for: up my skills, hit a small jump and ride a few berms. There is a small jump at thaba close to where the fire station is and when you hit it there is an immediate short uphill that i like to practice on amd hit it like 4-5 times.

I don't do long distance at all as i just dont have the time soy fitmess is weekend warrior fitness.

Then I would get myself a med pair of flats (Giants are reasonable priced). Some grippy shoes - people will help you with this happily. 

I just don't want to make this a technical debate when it actually doesn't need to be. 

You just want flats to up your confidence to learn to do some more fun things. Nothing wrong with that. I have been riding for years and I still refuse to hit a big gap with cleats. 

Don't break the bank because you may want to move back once you have upped your skills maybe

Then I would get myself a med pair of flats (Giants are reasonable priced). Some grippy shoes - people will help you with this happily.

I just don't want to make this a technical debate when it actually doesn't need to be.

You just want flats to up your confidence to learn to do some more fun things. Nothing wrong with that. I have been riding for years and I still refuse to hit a big gap with cleats.

Don't break the bank because you may want to move back once you have upped your skills maybe

Spot on. Want to try up my skills a little as honestly i suck..dont have the best balance, natural ability or bravery on the bike but i love riding.

Spot on. Want to try up my skills a little as honestly i suck..dont have the best balance, natural ability or bravery on the bike but i love riding.

That's all you need man the rest comes :)

Regarding the million types of 510's out there to choose from:

So, can I grab a pair of 510 Hellcats, leave that pad where the clip goes on and run those with flats?

Then if I change my mind or want a clip in, detach the pad, throw on some clips.

I'm keen to try flats, but not keen to burn R2k on something I potentially wont like.

http://dialdbikes.co.za/images/thumbnails/0/250/10104_408107_128527335113370093254fb124ad72243.jpg

So, can I grab a pair of 510 Hellcats, leave that pad where the clip goes on and run those with flats?

Then if I change my mind or want a clip in, detach the pad, throw on some clips.

I'm keen to try flats, but not keen to burn R2k on something I potentially wont like.

Yes you can. The Hellcats are a bit stiffer than the Freeriders, so you may experience a bit less overall grip than the Freeriders and Impacts. 

What Headshot said (except the shin bit - they can be nasty requiring several stitches)

The combo that won't break the bank - MSHBKS and Etnies - offer reliablity and good grip.

I use MSHBKS pedals - cheap but last forever - very servicable.  Has stainless removable pins.  Animal pedals  - plastic throw away but last longer than what you think and offers good grip with less shin damage.  BSD Ok as well in this cat

Shoes try Etnies (you get skate, bmx and the ones I'm using now not sure where they fit in)  get ones that have a relatively high heel bit for a better fit) (skate can be too low and some bmx have a high padded inner bit to catch tailwhips)  Out of all the shoes my household have gone through - etnies have lasted the best.

http://dialdbikes.co.za/images/thumbnails/0/250/10104_408107_128527335113370093254fb124ad72243.jpg

The pedals are more important than the shoe. Loan some pedals and then use an old pair of takkies and you will get the flat riding feeling. For me it took two solid weeks of riding flats (and I nearly threw in the towel) to be able to pedal properly since I come from a 15 year roadie background. Since then I haven't even thought about throwing the cleats back on.

Thinking of getting some shin guards to prevent hospital visits....good idea?

Not SUPER necessary, but also not a bad idea :)

Archived