Two cyclists killed in KZN

Vetseun

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a lot of stories doing the rounds...I was riding in the group when Richard and Jared were hit from the back...just behind me...the best at what they do have been assigned to this incident...the entire area is cordoned off and every piece of evidence is being analyzed...the driver of the vehicle was on his knees next to Jared and I believe this is going to haunt him for the rest of his life...and I am sure he will also be punished accordingly.

There are lots of comments about us being on the M4...when I went up onto the bridge another cyclist was hit by a motor vehicle on the bridge...so on the M4 off the M4 it makes no difference...lets hope we can learn from this horrific incident.

I lost an old friend Jared and a new friend Richard today...RIP

Condolences on your loss today.

I read the news this morning, looked at my road bike, looked at my 4 yr old daughter, I did not get on my bike.

R.I.P

Condolences to the families, the friends and cycling buddies all round.

R.I.P. Fellow Cyclist, what a tragedy

Condolences on your loss today.

I read the news this morning, looked at my road bike, looked at my 4 yr old daughter, I did not get on my bike.

R.I.P

Starvin. How sad is that... That we fear so much that we dont just get on our bikes and ride!!

Heard his wife was riding with him.

I was on Waterkant road which runs parallel to the M4. I will reserve observations for fear of jeopardizing proceedings. When I saw his wife (S.....) returning, it was clear she was not aware of the fatalities. I left the scene with  river of tears. There was no way I was prepared to witness what she was about to face. May God give her and the other families all the strength they need. I was a sad, sad day. 

Riding back to Suncoast I crossed the Umgeni Bridge via the pedestrian crossing, like I always do. Just then a cyclist was coming up onto the M4 using the on-ramp. A Metro police vehicle stopped next to him and promptly order him off the road. We can expect a major game change using the M4. It is for the better. I never, but never use the M4, ever. Every week someone crashes through the barriers on either side. AND THEY ARE Almost ALWAYS DRUNK.

For us local DBN riders this is a black day. I had club mates in that group and I knew Jared and Richard as well. It's hit us all, but I can't imagine what it was like for those who had to witness their friends like that. RIP guys. My thoughts and prayers to the ones who've been left behind.

This was a dark morning for us Durban cyclist , The road was lit up bright Yellow with various Cycling club kits but just a few kms out from Durban beach on the M4 was red and blue lights. Scenes  that made us made stop think i hope its not someone i know, But it was Jared and Rich, 2 of the nicest guys you can come across . 

Yes the M4 is the dangerous road and yes its not allowed for a cyclist to be on a National Freeway so we need to learn from this tragic morning, There are many clubs in Durban, we all guilty of riding this M4 shoulder but we lost many that are close to our hearts. We can't control negligent drivers , these type of things are out of our control but we can get together and try our best to make these rides safer for us all.  

RIP Gents...until we meet again ...

My thoughts are with all affected by this.

Early morning drunk drivers are the reason me and my son do not climb on our roadies on early weekend mornings anymore.  We either wait for later, or climb on our MTBs.

Yesterday morning even, we were planning to go for a ride to Rooi-Els, but decided to rather hit the Helderberg Farm climbs.  The last time we cycled to Rooi-Els we had so many close calls that my son was a nervous wreck.

I teared up as I drove past the scene on my way to work this afternoon, these were good people and their time came too soon. Riding to Camperdown this morning my phone was going nuts in my pocket... I got that sense of dread that no one ever wants to experience whilst out on a ride. My heart sank as I returned messages and calls.

We are all connected because we ride bicycles. We stop to help strangers because they have a puncture. We share our water on  hot days and offer a snack when we have spare. It is a code. Lets make safety a part of that code.

My deepest and sincerest condolences to the riders that were in that bunch and the families of the deceased.

I hope that their clubs put up ghost bikes at the scene. Maybe they will serve as a stark reminder to everyone driving past of just how fragile human life is. I hope that you stand together and push the SAPS and prosecutors into running a well thought through trial. If you want justice you need to push it. Make calls, go see them and write letters. Get the media involved. Only then will the Prosecutors and SAPS take this seriously.

That section of the M4 between Umhlanga and Durban is not safe. Everyone knows it yet they still use it and still take the chance. It drives me mad. Riding on the M4 over the Blue Lagoon Bridge is playing with your life.

Lets be smarter and safer out there.

Condolences to the two families and all the friends of riders. 

It must have been very traumatic for everyone in the group to witness the accident and deal with the aftermath.

My heart goes out to the families and friends that lost their family members while out cycling on the M4 in kzn this am. So unnecessary & sad

But speaking from experience i am asking the public to please respect the families involved and not post /share pictures of the crash scene.

This is not something that needs to be on public media and insensitive to those involved.Those pictures will haunt their loved ones forever.

Edited by splat

RIP mr da silva

RIP mr Dwyer

Just reading about this tragedy has brought tears to my eyes. I and my pals all have young children and wives. Every time we're on the bike we encounter stupid callous drivers who have no idea what the rules of the road are. I was braaing at my pals house last night and we were talking about the vid where the rider in the uk got hit by the Volvo. This poor driving scurge seems to becoming an epidemic but the authorities say not enough cyclists die for them to really do something concrete. The western cape 1m bylaw is so ineffective due to zero policing it's become s joke, I was nearly taken out by a police van this morning. I ask him why so close and his pal next to him says "you don't belong on the road "

So if this is the knowledge of the law how effective can policing be. Best you can do is pray to your God for a safe return to your family.

Its absolutely terrible what happened.

I heard they were the nicest guys you could hope to ride with.

Really sad day this.

RIP.

I pray it never happens to me, my wife or my friends - no matter who's right or wrong.

Condolences to the families.