Two cyclists killed in KZN

Vetseun

This is true. But his personal suffering will unfortunately not be a deterrent to others.

Agreed. On a personal level I feel for the guy - I've done some stupid stuff in a car in my life - fortunately none of it ended in tragedy.

Big picture is that we need a REAL sentence with heavy consequences to make South Africans sit up and take notice. They need to learn that taking ANY life on a road is:

1) Mostly avoidable

2) Has REAL consequence.

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

vivek... i watched this man sitting with Jared after the accident no matter what happens during or after the trail...this man will have to live with what he has done to these 2 cyclist for the rest of his life..I dont know him but unless he is a heartless human being or was too pissed to realise what he did...he will suffer regardless of the outcome of this trial.

Yes it's something he has to live, and that's his punishment for his wrong doing. But Bottom line is there needs to be a harder ruling with incidents like this, if the guys walks on just r2k bail then its just putting out a message to the rest of the drivers that's it's an easy escape when they take down someone. 

Yes it's something he has to live, and that's his punishment for his wrong doing. But Bottom line is there needs to be a harder ruling with incidents like this, if the guys walks on just r2k bail then its just putting out a message to the rest of the drivers that's it's an easy escape when they take down someone. 

paying bail doesn't mean he walks . he'll still have his day in court and i hope they put him away for a very long time. 

stay safe out there all of you. 

paying bail doesn't mean he walks . he'll still have his day in court and i hope they put him away for a very long time. 

I know, but in this corrupt country,  anything can happen... Let's just hope it doesn't go his way!!  

Unfortunately the fact is that historically in this country, cyclists have always been last in line when justice was being handed out. A perfect time to revisit this old Hub thread: https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/143580-cycling-accidents-any-prosecutions/. The cynic in me says we're going to see more of the same here if we as cyclists don't start standing up for ourselves. What we need to be doing is protesting in front of the courthouse, calling press conferences, massing on the M4 in the middle of evening rush hour and forcing the highway to a stand still, etc. That's what others do in this country. And they get what they demand. But we sit on our hands behind our closed doors and just let it go every time. Time to start standing up for ourselves.

RIP to these two guys. Such sad news!

Every now and then we wish there was a rewind button on time...

My condolences to everyone affected.

I am definitely in for a few laps up Margeret Maytom towards the challenge

If the driver was so pissed then he is bound to forget the incident over a short period of time?

The family lives with this forever.!!!!!!!

Make him work at the mortuary or the casualty department at month end mopping the floors.

This incident has upset me somewhat and I wish the driver the worst of everything forever. 

Pity Papa will not be waiting for him.

Wow, bail.

I'm shocked. Then the almost 2 month wait before the case gets heard.

Surely the 2 close calls after the closing of the scene must make the authorities sit up and realize thia is a big problem in this country.

Drunk driving is viewed as acceptable with a slap on the wrist sentence being the punishment.

1 or 2 good long sentences as an example and I am sure this will start to turn around.

Condolences to all those affected by thia tragedy. My heart goes out to you all.

I see there is quite a discussion going on in the MyBroadband forums about the legality of the cyclists on the M4 where this unfortunate incident happened. Here: http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/798510-Drunk-drivers-slammed-after-two-cyclists-killed

I do not know that stretch of road, so I would not even try to comment. I also am not too clued up on where a cyclist may or may not ride on highways and freeways.  I am fortunate that I do not have to cycle in city traffic, and I am out of town within 5 minutes from beginning my ride.

Edited by Jaco Steyn

from the KPCC page.

an official memorial ride is being planned in conjunction with all the cycling clubs and shops in Durbs, as well as the metro police and municipality. We will keep you updated but as it stands, the ride is planned for the morning of Saturday the 20th February.

Hope you haven't sold the Merida by then... ;)

Keep us updated. I'll be there. Will bring a crew from PMB.

The oke has been charged with 2 counts of culpable homicide.

What a joke.

It's murder - plain and simple.

Edited by Grogs

Let's be honest here he is not a young guy that got his license too long ago and has no common sense,he is 33 years of age. He was really irresponsible and did not think what he might do to himself or others and now lots of people's life's are turned upside down including his and his family. Unfortunately common sense can not be taught. It's very difficult to have sympathy for this guy.

The oke has been charged with 2 counts of culpable homicide.

What a joke.

It's murder - plain and simple.

Might I remind you that the act of murder is premeditated, and needs to be proved as such. I highly doubt this guy (as stupid as he is for driving drunk) left the bar or wherever he was coming from with the intent to kill anyone.