What to wear for a duathlon?

ycowley

Should I wear a tri suit for the duathlon (i.e. thinner chamois for running in?)

The bike ride is only 19km but MTB ridining so the chamois is very thin and could be uncomfortable for the ride.

Can I run in my normal road takkies or should they be trail specific?

Should I wear a tri suit for the duathlon (i.e. thinner chamois for running in?)

The bike ride is only 19km but MTB ridining so the chamois is very thin and could be uncomfortable for the ride.

Its no big deal which you use...I'd say use the minimal chamois option, but make sure you try it in training first and happy with the feel and fit.

Back in the day when men where less modest we used to ride and run in speedos without any chamois :eek:

Its no big deal which you use...I'd say use the minimal chamois option, but make sure you try it in training first and happy with the feel and fit.

Back in the day when men where less modest we used to ride and run in speedos without any chamois :eek:

I remember as a lightie when my toppie did iron man he used to wear those little speedos. He was chairman of the triathlon club and they organised with the people who made their kit(ital) to make their club speedos with a shammy in.

But now we going back 20/25 years.

I remember as a lightie when my toppie did iron man he used to wear those little speedos. He was chairman of the triathlon club and they organised with the people who made their kit(ital) to make their club speedos with a shammy in.

But now we going back 20/25 years.

Which tri club was that?

I can remember getting all excited when one of our local running shops in SA got stock of speedos with a small chamois, this was about in the mid 90's

Some might say you haven't experienced triathlon until you cycled +100 km in a speedo

:eek:

YOu do get Duathlon specific shorts (that's not meant for swimming) but let's not wander off to the expensive stuff.

First Ascent makes these Tri pants. They're okay and "cheap"ish (the cheapest Tri pants I know of in SA). I've used them a couple of times without any problems.

If you don't want to drop R700 one can run in cycling bibs / shorts (I did in my first duoathlon). Just test them for chafing beforehand.

And trail shoes...only buy them if you'll do regular trail running. Road shoes can be used on light, non-rocky terrain.

How far the run?

For 19km cycle on a MTB would not even worry about chamois

if the run is short 5kms or so you will be able to run in your cycling bibs and wont even notice the thicker chamois

Yup - tri suit is fine - that's what most of us use. I smear a bit more chamois cream in for the mtb.

Road running shoes will be ok for your first offroader - you can judge from there if you need trail specific shoes.

Which tri club was that?

I can remember getting all excited when one of our local running shops in SA got stock of speedos with a small chamois, this was about in the mid 90's

Some might say you haven't experienced triathlon until you cycled +100 km in a speedo

:eek:

South African airways. Back in the days when they still had teams/clubs. They even had a cycling club! Yes it was probably early to mid 90s. I was born in 84 and I remember being in very early primary school.(grd 1 in 91)

Ha ha. Should look great on a girl.

Thanks everyone else.

Once you understand that this was the height of Kazakhstani beachwear fashion, you can thank me too. :thumbup: In the meantime I won't lie awake at night feeling rejected because I know you will see the light. :w00t:

Once you understand that this was the height of Kazakhstani beachwear fashion, you can thank me too. :thumbup: In the meantime I won't lie awake at night feeling rejected because I know you will see the light. :w00t:

:lol:

A speedo... If you can't ride 19km on the bike without a chamois you need either a new saddle or more TITS....

A speedo... If you can't ride 19km on the bike without a chamois you need either a new saddle or more TITS....

Why a speedo if no swimming?

Archived