Ashburton MTB Series #2 Sabie 2016

Acre

Don't think anyone's actual lives would be in any real danger, but obviously the organisers and police don't want any unnecessary risk either.

If the police and ems feel that managing crowd control and accommodating the needs of a large event on the weekend could be too much too handle, we'll know tomorrow. 

It won't be funny if you get back to your car after the race and the protesters decided to offer your car to their lord Zuma.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will the protesters suddenly become calm on 1 day? Seeing as everybody will prob be arriving on Friday afternoon. I'm just afraid they say the race is still going ahead, and then the protesters decided to start throwing stones at us arriving in Sabie On Friday???

Those guys seems pretty pissed off...

It won't be funny if you get back to your car after the race and the protesters decided to offer your car to their lord Zuma.

No for sure it wouldn't be. Was there a specific point to your post or were you just trying to be facetious? 

Will the protesters suddenly become calm on 1 day? Seeing as everybody will prob be arriving on Friday afternoon. I'm just afraid they say the race is still going ahead, and then the protesters decided to start throwing stones at us arriving in Sabie On Friday???

Who knows, suppose that's what the organisers are trying to see with saps/ems as they talk to the community to gauge what's wrong and asses the threat as well as any precautions. 

Maybe it'll need extra security or a re route, or the risk might be too high. Right now nobody really knows what's going down, hence we'll have our answer tomorrow based on what's discussed and agreed upon.

I agree. But they must just make a decision so that everyone who drives from far away can arrange their stuff accordingly. ..

Supposing an agreement is reached and they say they will stop their ***, based on past experiences, would you actually trust them to keep to their side of the deal ?

Supposing an agreement is reached and they say they will stop their ***, based on past experiences, would you actually trust them to keep to their side of the deal ?

No I don't trust them. The big problem is, it can flair up again anytime. And only 1 day before we have to leave for Sabie. I seriously have second thoughts of going. If it was a week away, then it would be no problem. But 1 day.

Don't think anyone's actual lives would be in any real danger, but obviously the organisers and police don't want any unnecessary risk either.

If the police and ems feel that managing crowd control and accommodating the needs of a large event on the weekend could be too much too handle, we'll know tomorrow. 

The problem is that it only takes 1 incident of a cyclist getting hurt or someones car being damaged to cause hugh reputational damage to the event and the organisers.

I heard that they threatened to burn down the Spar in town yesterday. Our cars is easy targets for them when you are out on the bike for 6-8 hours.

No I don't trust them. The big problem is, it can flair up again anytime. And only 1 day before we have to leave for Sabie. I seriously have second thoughts of going. If it was a week away, then it would be no problem. But 1 day.

I agree with you 100%. I also have to consider the fact that there is no ways I want my kids to come face to face with a savage wielding a rock. They don't need that experience ever

The problem is that it only takes 1 incident of a cyclist getting hurt or someones car being damaged to cause hugh reputational damage to the event and the organisers.

I heard that they threatened to burn down the Spar in town yesterday. Our cars is easy targets for them when you are out on the bike for 6-8 hours.

Yet another concern I have is that we are up on the mountain for say 4 hrs, whilst Mrs and kids are at the finish line...and they decide to invade...Eish

Yet another concern I have is that we are up on the mountain for say 4 hrs, whilst Mrs and kids are at the finish line...and they decide to invade...Eish

My exact Concerns as well... I will be stressing the whole ridea about the family. I don't trust these protesters.

Seems to be all quiet in Sabie this morning.

Oh and just for you guys we had awesome rain last night! ☺️

It seems like it, but we must think about our wife's and kids that's also with us....

Couldn't agree more...

Lets just clarify, they are not protesting. This is a riot.

That's exactly what my concerns are. It can flare up anytime again...

Archived