Deliberate hit and run in Cradle - Help ID Culprit

Furbz

What no punishment?

Is this the hub?

I say make him sweep the bike lane 500m either side of his property entrance if he resides in the cradle. On both sides of the road.

Action without concequence...gotta love this place...

As much as I love mob justice, I think we're all trying to get an 'enemy' turned into a 'friend'...

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't agree that punishment is not the answer. If someone avoids trying to run me over because they don't want to see the inside of a jail cell, I'll live with that.

The reason that people generally obey laws is because they are aware of the consequences.

Is anyone suggesting there is no punishment whatsoever?

There has to be a consequence.

But the real measure of this event, will be in how it is handled and that will determine whether this repeat offender will change his attitude or simply feel bleak about getting caught and more vindicated in his current reasoning!

Good luck .

I am in 2 minds here .

1 .... prosecute to the full extent of the law ( If that is an option) .

2 .... As someone else mentioned , reconcile , and get him  "On Side ".

As much as I love mob justice, I think we're all trying to get an 'enemy' turned into a 'friend'...

Never mentioned mob justice.

Was referring to a proper settlement in order for the person to realise, no mater how self righteous he feels in his big-ass intimidation tool. He cannot simply go around dishing out road-rage when he feels grumpy.

I don't agree that punishment is not the answer. If someone avoids trying to run me over because they don't want to see the inside of a jail cell, I'll live with that.

The reason that people generally obey laws is because they are aware of the consequences.

And unfortunately, there are no concequence in general in this country when it comes to traffic laws.

The only REAL concequence people feel, is when they are affected either physically (vehicle crash) or financially (excess, total loss etc)

When people behave like naughty children, they should get the same punishment.

True. A South African phenomenon.

However, I agree with it in this case. Going after this guy with guns blazing may win the battle, but it will lose the war.

There is a good reason I say this. I always drive from home, park somewhere in the Cradle, then ride - like many people.

While driving, there has never been one single occasion that I have not seen at least one cyclist doing something stupid and dangerous. It happens all the time. For this guy, and all the residents, weekends must be a very frustrating time.

We are our own worst enemy, and we are experts at pissing people off. Even reasonable people will eventually reach the end of their rope and snap. I think that's what happened in this case.

Consequence in this incident should ideally be a mutual recognition that there are a multitude of road users and that they all have a right to safely enjoying the use of the roads. I don't believe that end can be achieved merely by punishing the offender. That will only aggravate an already tenuous relationship between motorists and cyclists. 

Imagine if every cyclist was punished for not stopping at a red traffic light, riding 2 abreast on a single lane, not signalling correctly when stopping or turning etc.. It would just become crazy.

he needs to adjust his attitude. how that's achieved, i'm not sure.

pretty certain that what's got his goat up is cyclists getting in his way (really? does that even happen? :ph34r: ) and now he's been taking his frustration out on others. right, wrong, who's to say?

what we DON'T want to happen is someone to be driving on an empty road, seeing a cyclist and then saying "vat so viets!"

compensation is important, but so is reconciliation. my 2c

Apologise on Carte Blanch! The humbling experience will be punishment enough for this apparently arrogant repeat offender.

Consequence in this incident should ideally be a mutual recognition that there are a multitude of road users and that they all have a right to safely enjoying the use of the roads. I don't believe that end can be achieved merely by punishing the offender. That will only aggravate an already tenuous relationship between motorists and cyclists. 

Imagine if every cyclist was punished for not stopping at a red traffic light, riding 2 abreast on a single lane, not signalling correctly when stopping or turning etc.. It would just become crazy.

Nope, it would become very safe, and enjoyable to use the roads...in an ideal world, which is not South Africa.

some feedback.

we have been contacted by an Attorney claiming to be representing the Driver.

we are setting up a meeting with them. 

i will keep you all updated on the outcome

This dude?

"Dear Furbz, I invited you yesterday to contact me on 0833770960 as I can be of assistance to you. I will not repeat this invitation and will await your response. Kind regards Jan Vermaak"

True. A South African phenomenon.

However, I agree with it in this case. Going after this guy with guns blazing may win the battle, but it will lose the war.

There is a good reason I say this. I always drive from home, park somewhere in the Cradle, then ride - like many people.

While driving, there has never been one single occasion that I have not seen at least one cyclist doing something stupid and dangerous. It happens all the time. For this guy, and all the residents, weekends must be a very frustrating time.

We are our own worst enemy, and we are experts at pissing people off. Even reasonable people will eventually reach the end of their rope and snap. I think that's what happened in this case.

Agree 100% with you Falco.

2 wrongs do not make a right.

It's important to change our behaviour both while driving a vehicle on our roads, as well as riding a bicycle on our roads.

Nope, it would become very safe, and enjoyable to use the roads...in an ideal world, which is not South Africa.

In an ideal world everyone would just obey the law!

Apologise on Carte Blanch! The humbling experience will be punishment enough for this apparently arrogant repeat offender.

Even more humbling, make him apologize on the Hub :w00t:

Agree 100% with you Falco.

2 wrongs do not make a right.

It's important to change our behaviour both while driving a vehicle on our roads, as well as riding a bicycle on our roads.

I also agree with Falco, but taking legal action against this guy is not a 2nd "wrong"?

Politically it might have some down stream things, but perhaps it starts dialogues that need to start between drivers and cyclists.

Archived