Hakahana: A day to forget

Kevlouw

Good morning fellow hubbers,

I'm not one to complain, and I'm writing this not to complain, but rather out of concern.

So we've been planning on going to the Hakahana Trails for about 2 weeks now, and I'm saying planning, because it’s difficult to get everyone’s schedules aligned to go out as a group. I woke up yesterday, and everyone seemed quite excited to get going. You usually feel this way when going to a new trail for the first time. It’s quite a drive there and toll gates are only R7.50 combined (paid this with a smile).

We got there at about 8am, and there were only 10 cars or so parked. I thought it’s still early, so more people would start arriving soon. To my surprise, half of those cars started packing up, ready to leave in the next 5 minutes. I thought nothing of this, and continued unpacking, and paying the fee at the office.

Checking out maps with all the routes, we decided on the Purple route first. This is about 5.5km, first going uphill and then coming back down for the “downhill” part. The problems started as soon as we started the route. It started out with having to cross a stream over a bridge, this was easy. But having to manoeuvre across the bridge through knee-high foam that smelled like sewage was the difficult part. The route was rough, with the constant issue of having to dodge loose boulders on the track, low hanging branches and so on. But the worst part is that we had to turn around 4 or 5 times on the purple route, because the track leads directly into a barbed wire fence, or a locked gate.

None of the routes are marked properly. So you basically look for the track that might be the easiest to continue on, only to find you’re heading directly for a line of trees. Turning around again!

After about 1h30min we were done with the purple trail. Seeing as we only did 5.5km, we thought we’ll do the Green trail. This, according to the maps at the office was also a bit more than 5km. it started out fast, no rocks or boulders to worry about. I started to enjoy the ride. Heading to the woods, I had a smile on my face.

All of a sudden, punctured tyres! We rode straight over a grassy bit with some rocks, but when we walked back a few metres, we saw the barbed wire lying on the ground. I was looking for the track where we should have turned into the woods, only to find a small path that looks like it’s what the horses use when roaming the farm. There was no indication that anyone has to turn in there with a bike.

This was the last for me, and I walked back to where we parked, clearly frustrated with the morning so far. As I said, I’m not one to complain. But this was a total waste of the morning.

It’s fun trying out new trails, but not under these conditions. Hakahana has great potential, and at least 50km of trails to enjoy. This is my opinion, and some might not feel the same. But I am concerned that under these conditions, they might be losing out…

Thanks 

A Concerned Rider

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When doing new trails for the first time, try and include someone in the group that has ridden the trails before.

Rocks, loose boulders, etc, = GOOD! Unless the trail is rated green/easy (IMBA rating)

Barbed wire and dead-ends = BAD!

Was just going to say that it sounds like a proper MTB venue, I mean real rocks, lekker man. Recon barbed wire is bad, but shite happens. A tubeless set up would probably have coped with it?

If you don't like rocks/boulders and rough trails, I think you should give Hakahana a miss. rather go to Red Barn/Heia Safari/Spruit etc. All the other routes are more hard core than the purple and green ones, those 2 are the easiest ones at Hakahana if I recall. the other Black trails are steep climbs on those rocks, and they are tough.

I agree about some of the trails not having routes markers everywhere and it helps to have someone who have ridden them all, or know where' they're going.

The rocks there ate my Racing Ralph non-snakeskin alive there ... converted to tubeless after that and snakeskin sidewalls and no more problems.

I've never seen more than 5-10 cars there on a normal week-end (excluding enduro events etc.). The place is for experienced trail riders with some level of fitness if you don't want to walk alot.

Edited by Kraggie

Hakahana is proper! It's one of my favourite places to ride.

Kev, perhaps you can get in contact with the guys at Hakahana and raise your concerns. If you don't inform them they can't do anything about it. They won't move boulders or rocks out of the way but they might look at removing the barbed wire.

See if you can get hold of Johan, hes the owner. He will defiantly help you in the right direction, also try and get one of the locals to ride with you. If you know hakahana like we do, you find its a super cool place. 

Whahahahah, let me get this straight...hakahana is crap because

1.You can't follow signage(you will absolutely hate van gaalens then). Hakahana is WELL marked

2.There are rocks and its rough

3.You punctured and were either not running tubeless or weight weenie tyres with little sealant.

I am also concerned, not in the way you think though...they must leave haka EXACTLY the way it is.

PS if you see the light and decide to give haka another go, do the grey...that is where the fun is at.

Edited by rouxtjie

Guest notmyname

They must leave haka EXACTLY the way it is.

Yes this.

I'd add that a skills clinic with a reputable instructor. Not only is the guidance going to improve your confidence. It will also increase the enjoyment on the trails.

Edited by Small Fry

If you don't like rocks/boulders and rough trails, I think you should give Hakahana a miss. rather go to Red Barn/Heia Safari/Spruit etc. All the other routes are more hard core than the purple and green ones, those 2 are the easiest ones at Hakahana if I recall. the other Black trails are steep climbs on those rocks, and they are tough.

I agree about some of the trails not having routes markers everywhere and it helps to have someone who have ridden them all, or know where' they're going.

The rocks there ate my Racing Ralph non-snakeskin alive there ... converted to tubeless after that and snakeskin sidewalls and no more problems.

I've never seen more than 5-10 cars there on a normal week-end (excluding enduro events etc.). The place is for experienced trail riders with some level of fitness if you don't want to walk alot.

Or maybe get a road bike :-)

Well, if you're paying an entrance fee to a bike park shouldn't you expect the routes to be clearly marked?  And barbed wire across trails is a big no-no, whether you run tubeless or not. If your bike picks it up and it gets entangled in your drivetrain you're going to eat dirt. 

Anyways, I've never been to hakahana or any of the other jozi bike parks. Will make a plan next time I go visit the family though! See if your trails come close to the ones in KZN..  :devil: