Tablet on bike??

Monique1992

Good day all

I have a cheap sportsman's warehouse cycling computer and it's very inaccurate. I have no budget to speak of for cycle GPS and such as I spend money on better components and gear. I've only been cycling since Jan.

I have an old Samsung 7" tablet at home. Is it a good idea to mount this to use with strava?

Thanx for your input!

Hi Monique

Welcome to cycling. Some would say, first enjoy the feeling of freedom and the wind in your hair, as there are far too many Strava$$holes in the sport already, but that's just some of us....

Rather not or else your next thread will be something along the lines of "where is the best place to get my tablet screen replaced?"

If you must have gps rather get a budget smartphone with gps and carry it in your jersey pocket.

Edit: Such phones can be found for around R600.

https://shop.mtn.co.za/crs/jump/product/4481293/MTN-Steppa-2-Black

Edited by jimmycool

Rather not or else your next thread will be something along the lines of "where is the best place to get my tablet screen replaced?"

If you must have gps rather get a budget smartphone with gps and carry it in your jersey pocket.

Edit: Such phones can be found for around R600.

https://shop.mtn.co.za/crs/jump/product/4481293/MTN-Steppa-2-Black

Agreed, I used an old BB when I feel like tracking my ride. Otherwise its just a cheap bike PC on my bar to see my average speed and what time it is!

Agreed, I used an old BB when I feel like tracking my ride. Otherwise its just a cheap bike PC on my bar to see my average speed and what time it is!

The other plus is that if you do happen to lose your phone either due to crashing/ being held up/ falling into a stream etc you are not losing your much more valuable phone that you use day to day.

If you're planning to go ride trails then all you need to do is time your time on the route and then add it to Endomondo later. Most trails are on there so just just select that and add your time. Done and dusted.

I'm assuming you don't have a smart phone that can't run Strava / MapMyRide / Endomondo - is that correct?

But, like CAAD4 said, first just get out and ride and enjoy being on your bike and outdoors. I'm sure there are ways to mount a tablet to a mtb, but it won't be funny and chances are it won't end pretty.

Okay so the tablet I don't really feel sorry for. I work with a very new phablet, which I don't particularly want to subject to riding. I do enjoy the riding but I want something to show for it and set some goals.

Okay so the tablet I don't really feel sorry for. I work with a very new phablet, which I don't particularly want to subject to riding. I do enjoy the riding but I want something to show for it and set some goals.

After some googling it does look like you can buy a bike mount for a 7 inch tablet but you are going to end up paying about as much for one as a cheap smartphone with gps.

If you are a member at VA,rather use the tablet on the wattbike,as for trails wct,use a phone until you get a dedicated gps. Just enjoy it

only get it if you are going to use it with training , tracking and fitness in mind

otherwise 

ride like you feel and listen to your body

Good luck 

ride without anything, else get a cheap cycling computer from sportsmans so at least you can see time, distance etc.

Save money in the meantime until you can buy a suitable GPS for use with Strava.  Keep an eye in the classifieds and you can pick up a Garmin Edge 500 for around R2000

Dont use the tablet, too big, crap battery and as has been said expensive and cumbersome to mount on a bike.

Edited by shaper